How likely is it that UT is doing some Ole Miss?

walkenvol

Flags went up everywhere when Freeze signed that big class 3 years back. New coach in a down trodden program signs a top 5 class. Something didn't add up - right?

Everyone would agree UT was down trodden after the Kiffen / Doolittle fiasco. CBJ in his 1st full year on the job signs a top 5 class. How dirty did UT have to get in order to make that class happen? UT has a much much better history / tradition vs Ole Miss so maybe not too dirty? Or are all the power 5 programs constantly breaking the rules throwing out cash like candy at a Christmas parade?

Flags went up everywhere when Freeze signed that big class 3 years back. New coach in a down trodden program signs a top 5 class. Something didn't add up - right?

Everyone would agree UT was down trodden after the Kiffen / Doolittle fiasco. CBJ in his 1st full year on the job signs a top 5 class. How dirty did UT have to get in order to make that class happen? UT has a much much better history / tradition vs Ole Miss so maybe not too dirty? Or are all the power 5 programs constantly breaking the rules throwing out cash like candy at a Christmas parade?

100% likely. Hopefully they aren't dumb enough to put it in writing though

If a team was to do it then there has to be some separation from the AD. Evidently their education rating is well earned

Reactions: 2 people
5560181.jpg

https://alabama.n.rivals.com/news/bo-davis-to-leave-his-position-due-to-allegation-of-recruiting-violations

Nick loves control, no way he didn't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
All cheat, but all don't get caught.

And if you do get caught, you better be a blue blood.

We are a "blue blood", but I wonder if our blood is "blue" enough in the NCAA's eyes.

If we do have issues, I just hope our compliance department is as good as it was when Doug Dickey was our AD.

Reactions: 2 people
I would expect that we bend rules here and there. I do see a couple of key differences between Miss and UT. One, UT has a far more illustrious history than Miss - and much more well known brand. Second, a lot of the key pieces in Jones' early classes were either in-state or legacy recruits.

His success probably had more to do with luck of timing of available prospects with ties than violations.

Reactions: 11 people
Raise your hand if would personally provide financial gifts to a top recruit as a fan.

(Assuming you had expendable wealth)

**raises hand**

Reactions: 3 people
It's impossible not to "cheat"
Too many rules. I think some coaches intentionally cheat & others don't. The ncaa is such a mess & a joke that even if you get caught, you probably won't get punished....see Miami & UNC

Please, for the love of God, don't tell me Derek Dooley cheated.....

Old saying is "when one skeleton comes out of the closet, they call come out". Lord knows Tennessee has had their share of "skeletons" come out but fortunately none as ugly as Ole Miss. Cant imagine with all of the issues around the AD in the past 5-6 yrs that they could keep players getting deals like Tunsil, etc got at Ole Miss quiet....

I do think that College sports is on a fast and slippery slope to the "Wild, Wild days of the 80s" when everyone went to the highest bidder. Too much $$$$ involved and too much pressure to win. And the NCAA is nutless

If you have ever played or coached a sport approaching the professional level (for those of you from Alabama that means Little League and Pee Wee football do not count) then you know and understand the game is played and coached up to the shade of a shadow of the gnat's eyebrow at the line of the rules. Never to be crossed but right at it. Shade tree coaches hear on video sometimes coaches at this level of football screaming at players to "play THROUGH the whistle" as a frequent example. Therefore, what those of us who are lay people earning our daily bread may interpret as a rules violation may or may not be. Tt could be a case of a program right at the edge of crossing over the line but not actually crossing it. I'll leave it to the pros investigating and punishing those breaking the rules to figure out.

Everbody knew Ole Miss was cheating! Pleeez! Ole Miss a top 5 recruiting class? c'mon man. Tennessee is a blue blood, we've had lots of top 5 recruiting classes. Is it possible that we have cheated somewhere some time, sure it is but not as likely as Ole Piss. BTW, does anyone know what happened with the DL coach at alabama leaving because of recruiting violations. It is all over the radio down here this morning. Must be pretty bad for him to be fired immediately!

Reactions: 1 person
I like the way some say "everybody cheats" without one shred of evidence. That's the way of this country now. Just because they would cheat means everybody must cheat. Sad.

Reactions: 13 people
It's impossible not to "cheat"
Too many rules. I think some coaches intentionally cheat & others don't.

The question wasn't to do with whether UT adheres to every crazy detail of every rule, but whether its likely someone who is an employee of the football program / athletic department is handing out cash as Ole Miss has been outed to have been doing by an ex-player on prime time national TV. IF a program hands out cash or manipulates grades to keep players eligible, then they are intentionally cheating. Everyone knows that without reading a 500 page rule book.

Personally, I'm beginning to believe its part of the system to hand out cash and you're probably not going to be able to be competitive without doing so. I'm 99% sure in my mind that Auburn gave $ to the big DT from GA this last cycle as I felt certain it was either UT or GA then the tiggers jump up and grab him.

If these top recruits are getting paid, then they will all quickly know that there's money out there to be had and a large number of them will want their piece of the pie. Doubt you can keep something like that secret among a bunch of high school seniors.

VN Store

Back