Butch: "I've aged probably 15 years in the 3 years."

HoptownVol

Good interview with some insight on why Lawson was let go.
Jones promoted Michael Szerscen to replace Lawson; Jones expects the change to help move the program forward.

“Mike will do a great job,” Jones said. “A lot of (reason for the change) was philosophically – where we’re at and how were we going to get (where we want to be) in terms of explosive movements, explosion, strength, team morale.”

Jones lauded Szerscen’s dedication to his profession.

“He’s done a great job of really being a student of strength and conditioning,” Jones said. “(He’s) staying on the trends and has a clear and precise philosophy, and that really matches where we want to go.”

Jones further credited Szerscen for undertaking necessary organizational improvements.

Butch Jones says Vols 'ready to compete' in 2016 season

Reactions: 6 people
Hopefully we work a lot on "ready to compete" focus. 100% of our roster has never played a neutral site non conference game at a race track either. Need lots of race track focus.

Reactions: 6 people
He really has done a phenomenal job turning this program around and making it competitive again. From academics, to culture, to recruiting, to public relations, to wins on the field. He's not perfect, but he's been a great hire. I hope all his incredibly hard and difficult work is rewarded with a championship season in 2016.

Reactions: 51 people
I wonder if Stokes considered following up on the whole Mack Crowder punch-gate fiasco.

He really has done a phenomenal job turning this program around and making it competitive again. From academics, to culture, to recruiting, to public relations, to wins on the field. He's not perfect, but he's been a great hire. I hope all his incredibly hard and difficult work is rewarded with a championship season in 2016.

Agree

Basically Lawson was stubborn to change

I also noticed he did not have anything (at least in that quote), "applauding Lawson for his service" type comment that he and others usually do. Also has other poster stated, can you elaborate on what he would not change if Butch is ok with you commenting on it?

Would any coach in his 4th year at a major program say his team is not ready to compete?

Yes, how about Derrick Dooley. He could of been here at Tennessee (a major program) for years and we would not been ready to compete. Just look at the NFL draft the last few years that's all the proof you need. Its took Butch 4 years to clean Dooley's mess up and get us back to compete for a SEC east title. We get the SEC east title then we can get the SEC title shot in Atlanta. Win that and we are in the final 4 for a NCAA championship.

Reactions: 4 people

What does that mean, exactly? To me, it means we had too many players injured in pre-season that never should've been injured, and therefore couldn't compete in spring practice at full speed. We've had too many preseason injuries, so the next most appropriate target was coach lawson.

What does that mean, exactly? To me, it means we had too many players injured in pre-season that never should've been injured, and therefore couldn't compete in spring practice at full speed. We've had too many preseason injuries, so the next most appropriate target was coach lawson.

Maybe Butch brought this up to Lawson and he refused to change his workout approach.

could be, I'm thinking CBJ's words "(He’s) staying on the trends" about the new guy are a big deal. We've heard about analytics and a culture he has which embraces new techniques and use of data, that sort of thing. If you are a guy working for CBJ and you're not very current on whatever the latest and greatest is you're probably not going to be around very long.

Reactions: 2 people
Seems like a good move by Butch. Strength and conditioning needs to be tuned to match the style of play... for Butch, that is fast and quick power. So, likely too much focus has been on strength... and not enough leg work. Reminds me of the later years under Phil's tenure... O-line could lift brick sheet houses but could not run, and that showed up in a poor run game.

Jump up and down Vols

Reactions: 5 people
Well, I learned something new reading that article. I had heard about Zach Jancek being a QB but I literally had no idea Jones' son Alex joined the team as a walk-on kicker. Either that news flew in under the media radar or I simply missed it when it first happened.

Jones says having his son, Alex — a redshirt freshman walk-on kicker — on the team has given him “a whole ‘nother perspective,” opening his eyes to the daily struggles college student-athletes go through.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back