Dobbs listed as 2nd best dual-threat QB in SEC

Kelly is the better passer. Dobbs is the better runner.

I agree, Josh is the better runner, probably the better overall athlete, but not by much if so. Kelly actually ran the ball pretty well last year without the benefit of a decent running game at all. Here are the running numbers compared.....

Dobbs- 146 carries, 671 yds, 4.6 avg, 11 tds

Kelly- 106 carries, 509 yds, 4.8 avg, 10 tds

And like you said, Kelly's by far the better passer. I'll not include the passing numbers out of respect for Dobbs.

Nb4 D4H says Kelly is a system QB who's only successful because of the offense he runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I agree, Josh is the better runner, probably the better overall athlete, but not by much if so. Kelly actually ran the ball pretty well last year without the benefit of a decent running game at all. Here are the running numbers compared.....

Dobbs- 146 carries, 671 yds, 4.6 avg, 11 tds

Kelly- 106 carries, 509 yds, 4.8 avg, 10 tds

And like you said, Kelly's by far the better passer. I'll not include the passing numbers out of respect for Dobbs.

Nb4 D4H says Kelly is a system QB who's only successful because of the offense he runs.

I don't disagree with you, however, to play devils advocate, Dobbs more than likely benefits as a runner based on the type of offense we run.

Dobbs is a very solid college player who is good enough to get us where we want to go, and is a wonderful person and ambassador for our program.

I'm comfortable with the fact that he's not the best QB in the SEC and isn't a heisman contender. Alabama has gotten by without heisman winning quarterbacks.

Dobbs, Hurd and Kamara give us a historically good running game that has a chance at becoming the best in program history this fall. That coupled with an elite defense can get us a title if we catch some breaks.

Reactions: 6 people
Dobbs is the best QB in the history of the Universe. D4H said so. Only a racist like Glenn Satell at Saturday Down South would dare deny this fact.

Reactions: 2 people
Their assessment is fair. Dobbs has more of an upside, and hopefully he achieves it this year. But Kelly was better all around.

Reactions: 1 person
At least the article references the below average receivers Dobbs has had to work with, even if it doesn't fit certain people's agendas.

I hope not. We need them to beat UGA. UGA has an easy schedule as it is

When asked about the pre season rankings ESPN analyst Brock Huard stated:" IF LSU had Josh Hobbs at QB they would be ranked #1." He said that on the Finebaum show.

When asked about the pre season rankings ESPN analyst Brock Huard stated:" IF LSU had Josh Hobbs at QB they would be ranked #1." He said that on the Finebaum show.

If they had a QB that could throw the ball 5 yards past the LOS, they would be ranked #1

Best overall QB - Kelly
Best dual threat QB - Dobbs

I get your point, but Kelly is probably best on both counts. He's a QB with a big, accurate arm who can also run when he needs to very effectively. I don't think Josh can be the best dual threat because of the disparity between his passing and Kelly's, while their running abilities aren't nearly as far apart. Jmo.

That's probably true. Same should be said if Kelly was their QB as well. He'd add the better passing dimension for sure to Fournette and Guice. Imagine how good Malachi Dupree would be with a stud QB.

And Paul didn't inform him that the last name was Dobbs? :huh:

The same could be said for UT

It would help, but the defense is gonna be the big difference this year. With similar offensive production and special team play, our defense will be identity of our National Championship team.

Jump higher Vols.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back