CFN: Tennessee Volunteers Preview 2016

Wow ... DB suffers because Myles Garrett is better than him ? I came away amazed that this was actually a real article.

Reactions: 1 person

DE Derek Barnett, Jr. – He suffers from not being as good as Texas A&M’s Myles Garrett – the SEC’s other superstar young pass rusher who’s dominated over the last two years – but he’s still a next-level talent who should be among the conference’s most disruptive forces.

Barnett doesn't 'suffer' from that at all. He's a better every down DE than Garrett (much better against the run) and shows up in the big games far more often than Garrett.

Fuitak needs to find another SEC team to write about. His write ups always leaving me saying "wtf is this guy talking about."

Reactions: 5 people
This dude has the most back-handed style of writing I've ever seen. Some of the stuff he says makes think he needs to be slapped across the face with some sort of fish. Then he ignores most of the stuff he said and predicts an 11-1 record and makes me think he might be somewhat mentally challenged.

This dude has the most back-handed style of writing I've ever seen. Some of the stuff he says makes think he needs to be slapped across the face with some sort of fish. Then he ignores most of the stuff he said and predicts an 11-1 record and makes me think he might be somewhat mentally challenged.

Once you realize that most of the people employed to share their 'hot takes' (whoever invented that phrase needs to be drawn and quartered) are no more connected or intelligent than the average message board poster you'll end up much happier.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow ... DB suffers because Myles Garrett is better than him ? I came away amazed that this was actually a real article.

You can say that again. DB doesn't look as good physique-wise as Garrett, but he certainly doesn't suffer by comparison when looking at the stat sheet....

Garrett- 108 tackles, 32 TFLs, 22.5 sacks
DB- 142 tackles, 33 TFLs, 20 sacks

Reactions: 4 people
You can say that again. DB doesn't look as good physique-wise as Garrett, but he certainly doesn't suffer by comparison when looking at the stat sheet....

Garrett- 108 tackles, 32 TFLs, 22.5 sacks
DB- 142 tackles, 33 TFLs, 20 sacks

DB probably would have had more tackles and sacks if he didn't get held most of the time that never gets called.

Am I crazy to be worried about App St?

Yes. I would expect they are spending their whole off season building a game plan to pull off the upset. Very much like BG did last year. I would expect them to incorporate a lot of big plays type scheme to give them that chance. Being able to grind it out against us is just not an option. So to play it straight up would guarantee them a loss. Any game plan that would remotely keep it close with us would dominate most anyone one else on their schedule.

I would also expect that they are really preaching execution, no turn overs, play loose, and take their shots to knock off a premier team.

There is no way they hang with us, but along the same line we have to execute and protect the ball. Reminds me of the Western Ky game from a few years ago, they had a good team, but set records with turnovers, back to back pick sixes is how I remember it, along with 5 out of 6 plays being a turn over. After that I think they stopped believing.

It's a great year to be a Vol.

Jump higher Vols.

If you've read the article about DB wher he expressed how upset he was about his numbers last year and said he's playing with chip on his shoulder already this year. He should just post that sentence in his locker. He'll be Myles ahead of Garrett by the end of this season.... Yeah, I said that. It's the off season :)

I wonder how many of those games this dude actually watched? Some of his statements make absolutely no sense.

He looked at the time of possession vs. Alabama and just assumed that they pounded us all game. I'm not even sure that he looked at the final score of that game, much less the actual stats.

"Kendal Vickers at one tackle spot, Corey Vereen at another"

Did Vereen change positions and only this guy has the insight?

My favorite part of the article, "Joshua Dobbs a crusty veteran"

Yes. If that game goes South then we are in for a failure of epic proportions.

That's what worries me. They have UT circled, will have prepared the entire summer for the game, they're not a bad team, UT will be talked up by the media and all the focus will be on the game in Bristol, and there are always a few kinks and hiccups in the first game of the season.

Butch seems to do a good job of keeping the team focused so hopefully the game will be like the one against TN Martin a few years ago.

Am I crazy to be worried about App St?

Yes, they are no where close to our level of athleticism or speed. Dobbs and Hurd are run down from behind against teams like Bama and UF, not App St. This game is easily over by halftime, Dormady plays the entire 4th quarter

but the offense was spotty, inconsistent, and faded late.

We had the 2nd most potent rushing attack in the SEC and statistically rushed well above the opposing defenses average amount allowed, including Bama.

And about Barnett...

He suffers from not being as good as Texas A&M’s Myles Garrett

My basic reaction to this article, "lol wtf?"

That's what worries me. They have UT circled, will have prepared the entire summer for the game, they're not a bad team, UT will be talked up by the media and all the focus will be on the game in Bristol, and there are always a few kinks and hiccups in the first game of the season.

Butch seems to do a good job of keeping the team focused so hopefully the game will be like the one against TN Martin a few years ago.

Nothing to worry about, our defense and offense hits like a freight train, no planning will get you ready for that. Hurd is probably bigger than their LBs. They have UT circled but their coaches also know that their main goal is to win their division

They can circle all they want but it won't mean a thing. There is no reason for them to be able to hang around on this UT team

If you're this worried about App St then you'll need diapers for VT, UF and Bama.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back