New Vandy coaches

Stephanie White and Carolyn Peck!

I just saw this, Vandy became a whole lot better. Carolyn Peck is at her Alma Mater and to my understanding didn't want to be the head coach but rather wanted to be the recruiting coordinator/assistant head coach. This will change local recruiting in a big way. Her pedigree and knowledge of the women's game as well as Vandy's academic rigor will make them one of the top programs in the SEC. Coach Reeves has a lot of competition in Tennessee now and Holly certainly has to improve as a coach. 2017 recruiting class just became even more important.

Reactions: 2 people
This will change local recruiting in a big way. Her pedigree and knowledge of the women's game as well as Vandy's academic rigor will make them one of the top programs in the SEC.

Academic rigor has little, if anything, to do with success in sports. See Alabama football and Kentucky basketball.

Academic rigor has little, if anything, to do with success in sports. See Alabama football and Kentucky basketball.

In the men's game it doesn't in the Women's it plays a huge role. Many of the women understand they will not make top dollars in the WNBA and although the money overseas is better lining up a job when your playing days are over and the school you've attended/received that degree from has a lot to do with their (women's) success off the court

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Well then there is Stanford athletics (perennial winner of the Director's Cup) and Duke Athletics (esp. in basketball). Vandy is a sleeping giant IMO, and if and when it awakens, it can be as successful as Duke I reckon. Some of its non-revenue sports are already more successful than Tennessee's. Probably not gonna happen in football 'tho...

In the men's game it doesn't in the Women's it plays a huge role. Many of the women understand they will not make top dollars in the WNBA and although the money overseas is better lining up a job when your playing days are over and the school you've attended/received that degree from has a lot to do with their (women's) success of the court

That was one of the reason why Coach Summit stayed on top. All her 4 year recruits graduated, and most with honors.

Reactions: 4 people
That was one of the reason why Coach Summit stayed on top. All her 4 year recruits graduated, and most with honors.

That is why I am glad we have kept the 100% graduation rate since she has left. It is impressive to parents who are interested in sending their daughters to Knoxville!

Well then there is Stanford athletics (perennial winner of the Director's Cup) and Duke Athletics (esp. in basketball).

There are exceptions to every rule.
The point I was making is that Bama and KY are not renowned as bastions of academic excellence, although they are exceptional in certain sports. There are many other examples, but I chose only two from the SEC for the sake of brevity.

There are exceptions to every rule.
The point I was making is that Bama and KY are not renowned as bastions of academic excellence, although they are exceptional in certain sports. There are many other examples, but I chose only two from the SEC for the sake of brevity.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. I'd like to think that not every Kennedy males are AA-registered alcoholics, pathological liars or compulsive womanizers. I'm sure some of 'em are as angelic and innocent as them Mormon Tabernacle choir boys.

What Vandy needs is a full commitment from the school administrators and I think they will have a winner over there in Music City. I understand this is not a softball thread, but Duke University is set to start the varsity play in softball beginning in 2017-2018 academic year. The school administrators seem determined and very supportive, and I won't be surprised if Duke softball turns out to be as good as its neighbors NC State or UNC softball by year 2020 or so. Maybe not as good as FSU softball in the long run, but Duke should be able to beat its Triangle rivals fairly regularly.

Reactions: 1 person
Vandy just make a good hire. Unless something changes with the Lady Vols, Vandy will pass us in women's basketball. I really hate to say that but it's the truth. We are stagnant.

Reactions: 6 people
I do not think they will past us. I think they will be competitive but just because you coached in the wnba it will lead to success in the college ranks. it totally different but time will tell.

So, some are saying that the Vanderbilt women's basketball program is a SLEEPING GIANT, and will surpass the Lady Vols.

FANTASYLAND: A place or circumstance existing only in the imagination or as an ideal; dream world.

Vandy just make a good hire. Unless something changes with the Lady Vols, Vandy will pass us in women's basketball. I really hate to say that but it's the truth. We are stagnant.

There are some who delude themselves into thinking Warlick will "get better." She's in her late 50s, I believe; she's not changing and she's not getting better. And, though I like the new recruiting coordinator, it's not like she's got a crackerjack staff, either. There is a new generation of good basketball coaches around the country, and we meantime have been spinning our wheels for several years. We dominated the SEC for 25 years, just as Kentucky has dominated on the men's side. But now we're pretty much just another team in the pack. Some of our losses last year were absolutely embarrassing. We are getting beat for good recruits by a bunch of programs that have never won ANYTHING. Our women's BB program needs its version of Jones.

Reactions: 6 people
Vandy seems to have a better coaching staff than we do at least in ability and they out recruited us last year. This is a huge recruiting year for Tennessee we need four top 20 players in the 2017 class. If I was the AD I would have fired Warlick last year and hired the coaches Vandy now has White and Peck. We'll see what happens Vandy hasn't passed us but another bad recruiting year and it could happen. The only one I have any confidence in is the new hire Reaves mainly because she did a very good job at Tech a place very hard to recruit. The other two Assistants we have seem to be dead weight along with Holly.

Vandy seems to have a better coaching staff than we do at least in ability and they out recruited us last year. This is a huge recruiting year for Tennessee we need four top 20 players in the 2017 class. If I was the AD I would have fired Warlick last year and hired the coaches Vandy now has White and Peck. We'll see what happens Vandy hasn't passed us but another bad recruiting year and it could happen. The only one I have any confidence in is the new hire Reaves mainly because she did a very good job at Tech a place very hard to recruit. The other two Assistants we have seem to be dead weight along with Holly.

I couldn't agree with you more. If we don't get multiple top recruits in 2017 we will be facing a serious step backward. There's the possibility of both DeShields and Russell leaving early after this year. Without a great 2017 class, I fear we would shuffle back into the middle (or worse) of the SEC pack in two years.

I think we land a really solid class top 10. Yes vanderbilt will be good I believe but you can't be afraid of competition. I think we will be fine. but it would help if we can land recruits now . We have a jump on 2017 recruits because girls these days are big on loyalty and we have been on a lot of recruits . and the college game is soo different ask jimmy dykes .he has coached the nba and mens game. it's different

Seems like Vandy is on he way up! Congrats to them on the great hires, but GO LADY VOLS!

I do not think they will past us. I think they will be competitive but just because you coached in the wnba it will lead to success in the college ranks. it totally different but time will tell.

I was a little surprised at the Vandy hires. A good move for them. I suspect they'll be competitive in the SEC but personally I'm more worried about Joni & UGA as they are looking to take a big step forward if they land a few more big recruits.

At the end of the day I still believe its UT & SC at the top of the SEC right now with UGA, Miss state, A&M & everyone else after that, although, the coming years will be very interesting to see how the power shifts from team to team in our league. Coaches will really have to be on their game when it comes to coaching & recruiting as the talent gap will close a bit from the top SEC teams to the middle of the pack bunch.

Great hires for Vandy - and while TN as a program is still light years ahead of Vandy in terms of 'cachet', when recruit's parents welcome coaches into their living room, the reverse is true. Peck and White are national celebrities that anyone who follows WBB knows - Holly and her crew, not so much.

Got to believe the signed recruits are pretty excited about the new coaches even if they are disappointed about the former coach leaving.

I was a little surprised at the Vandy hires. A good move for them. I suspect they'll be competitive in the SEC but personally I'm more worried about Joni & UGA as they are looking to take a big step forward if they land a few more big recruits.

At the end of the day I still believe its UT & SC at the top of the SEC right now with UGA, Miss state, A&M & everyone else after that, although, the coming years will be very interesting to see how the power shifts from team to team in our league. Coaches will really have to be on their game when it comes to coaching & recruiting as the talent gap will close a bit from the top SEC teams to the middle of the pack bunch.

I think Tennessee, Texas A&M, and Mississippi State will be your programs to watch. All three have coaches on the higher end of the age spectrum in the SEC. Blair is 70 while Warlick and Schaefer are 57. The rest of the crew is in their 30's and 40's including the new 38 year old White at Vanderbilt. Will all three continue to be successful as they enter what is likely the last 10 years of their careers or will they be "Fulmerized" by the youth coaching movement in the SEC.

Great hires for Vandy - and while TN as a program is still light years ahead of Vandy in terms of 'cachet', when recruit's parents welcome coaches into their living room, the reverse is true. Peck and White are national celebrities that anyone who follows WBB knows - Holly and her crew, not so much.

Anyone who follows WBB should know Holly too.

I think we land a really solid class top 10. Yes vanderbilt will be good I believe but you can't be afraid of competition. I think we will be fine. but it would help if we can land recruits now . We have a jump on 2017 recruits because girls these days are big on loyalty and we have been on a lot of recruits . and the college game is soo different ask jimmy dykes .he has coached the nba and mens game. it's different

The recruits that Vandy is going after will still have to meet their ACADEMIC requirements!! This alone will limit their recruitment to those specific young ladies! If some of the recruits that we are after could qualify to go to Vandy? Then we might get a little nervous?? :dunno:

The fact that all our girls have graduated is a good selling point to any parent... :rock2:

On Wednesday, I spoke to former Fever player Tully Bevilaqua and former Purdue and WNBA player and current Fever assistant and broadcaster Stephanie White. Both are married to women and both have children, Bevilaqua two and White three. Both have understandably strong feelings about what's happened in our state, and what might happen in our state. They do not claim to speak for the Fever any more than I speak for the Indianapolis Star; that said, I agree with every word both of these brave women spoke Wednesday.

Kravitz: Bevilaqua, White decry Indiana gay marriage ban

I don't think there has been a long track record of WNBA coaches moving to the college game because the women's league is still fairly new. From NFL, yeah, there is plenty of examples of successful college coaches failing, but there are a whole lot of differences in rules and game philosophy between college and pro football.

At this point, the only real obvious difference between WNBA and NCAA women's basketball I have noticed is the age of the players. Maybe I need to watch a little more closely, but at this point I feel Vanderbilt's hiring of a good WNBA coach just might have given Vanderbilt a more attractive recruiting profile than the Lady Vols.

Yes, I realize we have those National Championship banners hanging in the rafters, but fewer and fewer recruits remember watching them being won. So, when I say this, I am not making light of your misspelling, but I will take advantage of it.

They may very well "past" us. For all intents and purposes, Holly has allowed a championship program to become a past contender. Some can throw statistics that may refute that, but "search your feelings, Luke." When you watch the Lady Vols play, do you feel the anticipation of them bringing home another title, and a new banner going into the rafters? I have hoped for it, cheered for it, but I have no belief for it.

Hopefully, she can change my feelings this year. I got sick of her pathetic excuses after inexplicable losses. Hopefully, these girls can get it together and eliminate her need to make them.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back