U-17 tournament

CannonVol80

I don't know how many have been watching the Women's U-17 tournament, but I had a question about a post player on the team.

Janelle Bailey is a 6'3" post out of Matthews, N.C. and the Providence Day High School in Charlotte, N.C., class of 2017. She is rated 36 overall and the #5 post by Prospect Nation but only garners a 90 grade and no overall ranking from Hoopgurlz and I was unable to find a BlueStar rating. However, she has had a couple of strong games, posting 17 pts and 10 rbs in 6 of 12 shooting in 13 minutes of play against a sadly outclassed South Korea team and 10 pts and 9 rbs on 4 of 7 shooting in 23 minutes against a stronger Czech team.

I can't find any indication of any particular school interest, although she is definitely expressing an interest in college ball. Does anyone on here know anything about hr recruiting status? From her play in the U-17 games so far, it appears that she may either be a real sleeper or a late bloomer and I was wondering if the Tennessee staff had any interest. Particularly with her being relatively close geographically.

Jim

Not much information on her I did read she had over 50 D1 offers so I would suspect that includes Tennessee and all the local schools. Women's lists are so unreliable the fact that she is not all of the list proves that totally. You take a player like Sydney Cooks who comes in at number six on Hoopgurlz and 60 on Prospects Nation you wonder how there could be such a difference. I suspect with her performance she will make a list when they upgrade again she is definitely a player.

I don't know how many have been watching the Women's U-17 tournament, but I had a question about a post player on the team.

Janelle Bailey is a 6'3" post out of Matthews, N.C. and the Providence Day High School in Charlotte, N.C., class of 2017. She is rated 36 overall and the #5 post by Prospect Nation but only garners a 90 grade and no overall ranking from Hoopgurlz and I was unable to find a BlueStar rating. However, she has had a couple of strong games, posting 17 pts and 10 rbs in 6 of 12 shooting in 13 minutes of play against a sadly outclassed South Korea team and 10 pts and 9 rbs on 4 of 7 shooting in 23 minutes against a stronger Czech team.

I can't find any indication of any particular school interest, although she is definitely expressing an interest in college ball. Does anyone on here know anything about hr recruiting status? From her play in the U-17 games so far, it appears that she may either be a real sleeper or a late bloomer and I was wondering if the Tennessee staff had any interest. Particularly with her being relatively close geographically.

Jim
I think she is a late bloomer, Jim. Obviously because of her high school, there is no way that she did not get proper exposure like some young women at smaller or more obscure schools. I believe the reason she made the Prospects Nation list and not the Hoopgurlz one is that Prospects Nation just revised their list 10 days ago whereas Hoopgurlz has not revised theirs after the U17 trials. I believe that Bailey was on the PN list previously but moved up in the update. As for Janelle's ranking on Blue Star, she is listed as 64th, but again, I do not believe they have updated their rankings recently.

Reading comments from many different people at the trials in Colorado Springs, Bailey was impressive, as was Olivia Nelson-Ododa, although she is 2018. Olivia has looked very good at the U17 tourney thus far.

USA playing Italy right now. USA finally took a lead late in the third quarter.Third quarter ends 41-40 USA.

Christyn Williams is showing why she is such a highly rated guard!

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
After extending their lead to 12 points, the USA team held on to win by four, 59-55.

They were really bothered by Italy's swarming defense during the first three quarters, but the Italian squad appeared to tire toward the end of the third and into the fourth quarter.

I was impressed again by Janelle Bailey. She does a number of good things that don't show up in the stat sheets.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back