Vols Make Big Personnel Move

musolfmj

So says the teaser on 24-7, but it's a VIP thing and I don't have access. Would someone who does please share?

So says the teaser on 24-7, but it's a VIP thing and I don't have access. Would someone who does please share?

Tennessee has replaced former compliance expert Matt Hibbs, who last month took a Sr. AD/Compliance spot with Urban Meyer at Ohio State, with a major coup in landing Jonathan Bowling from Alabama,

Continue to hear really good things on Shy Tuttle, whom some despite coming back from injury still believe is the best defensive lineman on campus. Jonathan Kongbo is up around 280 and looks really impressive as he adjusts while Rashaan Gaulden and Kyle Phillips are two who also have drawn praise. Gaulden if healthy should be a full-time starter and Phillips could have a big year as well, per folks on campus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 people
Tennessee has replaced former compliance expert Matt Hibbs, who last month took a Sr. AD/Compliance spot with Urban Meyer at Ohio State, with a major coup in landing Jonathan Bowling from Alabama,

Continue to hear really good things on Shy Tuttle, whom some despite coming back from injury still believe is the best defensive lineman on campus. Jonathan Kongbo is up around 280 and looks really impressive as he adjusts while Rashaan Gaulden and Kyle Phillips are two who also have drawn praise. Gaulden if healthy should be a full-time starter and Phillips could have a big year as well, per folks on campus.

I keep forgetting about Phillips. Hopefully he's a monster for us!

Reactions: 1 person

You sir, are a breath of fresh air. Thanks for the info.

While we're on the D line, any word on Butcher and Austin Smith? I know they moved Smith to DE but he was injured in the spring if i remember correctly.

Who wasn't?

Ha fair enough...I'm going to assume that Butcher is rehabbed and should be practicing in fall camp since his scope was done almost a year ago I believe. Also if he's been able to add 25 lbs of good weight his knee must be handling it well based on a pic I saw on twitter of Coach Strip and the whole d line unit (Butcher had no brace on, nor did he at the spring game on the sideline). Austin Smith had a shoulder injury in April and Butch said he'd be back by June. Hoping they're good to go since after Barnett, Vereen and Latroy Lewis leave after this season, Butcher and Smith ought to be in the mix at DE with Kongbo, Phillips, Taylor and Mixon.

Vickers played inside at about that weight last season, so I don't see why not.

Vickers is actually up to 295lb now based on the roster update, and he's 6'3. Kongbo is almost 6'6 and 280lb, not your typical DT body type. I took a drunk selfie with Kongbo a few weeks ago and he's actually a lot more lean than Barnett. But sure given our constraints at DT, and the hints Shoop has dropped, he'll most likely play some packages at DT.

I'm also hoping we can slide Kongbo inside some since he is up to 280

I would think this is about how big Reggie White was when he played. I know players are generally bigger now but, that might be the perfect size to wreak havoc.

Vickers is actually up to 295lb now based on the roster update, and he's 6'3. Kongbo is almost 6'6 and 280lb, not your typical DT body type. I took a drunk selfie with Kongbo a few weeks ago and he's actually a lot more lean than Barnett. But sure given our constraints at DT, and the hints Shoop has dropped, he'll most likely play some packages at DT.

Along those lines, what is up with Alexis Johnson? Will he be back on this team come August or not? Charges were not pressed, the lawsuit is behind us. What is keeping him off the team exactly? I'm all for our players being held accountable but this is getting ridiculous. At this point I see no reason for him not be on the team unless he's done more since he was suspended.

Last edited:
Along those lines, what is up with Alex Ellis? Will he be back on this team come August or not? Charges were not pressed, the lawsuit is behind us. What is keeping him off the team exactly? I'm all for our players being held accountable but this is getting ridiculous. At this point I see no reason for him not be on the team unless he's done more since he was suspended.

I think him running out of eligibility is what is keeping him off the team. He graduated.

Reactions: 8 people

Had the same thoughts.

Along those lines, what is up with Alex Ellis? Will he be back on this team come August or not? Charges were not pressed, the lawsuit is behind us. What is keeping him off the team exactly? I'm all for our players being held accountable but this is getting ridiculous. At this point I see no reason for him not be on the team unless he's done more since he was suspended.

Alex Ellis graduated and signed with the Titans as a UFA. Did you mean Alexis Johnson? If so, he's still indefinitely suspended and awaiting his hearing in front of the student "disciplinary board" or whatever it's called.

You mean Alexis Johnson?

Along those lines, what is up with Alex Ellis? Will he be back on this team come August or not?

I think you may mean Alexis Johnson. I won't claim to know everything about the UT off-season, but based on what I've read from others on this forum it's a pretty 50/50 chance that he'll be playing this year. He is on a 6 month probation LEGALLY stemming from his reduced charge of assault from felony to misdemeanor, which would end in October. Given that the Title IX lawsuit is over with, Butch and the other decision makers may just be waiting until things simmer a bit more to remove his suspension from the team.

If he were allowed back for the start of fall camp, the only thing I would question is his conditioning (obviously). But I like to think that he hasn't just been twiddling his thumbs since he arrived in January, especially since his enrollment at UT is based on an athletic scholarship (i.e. he should be able to be athletic :p). If he's back and in decent shape, I truly think this guy will be the steal of the class. I know that you can't base someone's perceived ability in the SEC based off of a highlight reel from JUCO, but man this guy is a monster at 6'4 300lbs. Carries his weight really well too.

https://vimeo.com/145751086

Alex Ellis graduated and signed with the Titans as a UFA. Did you mean Alexis Johnson? If so, he's still indefinitely suspended and awaiting his hearing in front of the student "disciplinary board" or whatever it's called.

Thanks! :good!:

Any idea when that is?

VN Store

Back