Shoop: Kongbo turning heads in workouts

kamoshika

"Obviously everybody’s excited about Jonathan Kongbo, and he’s been a horse this summer," Shoop said Friday at the KOC Kickoff Classic luncheon in Thompson-Boling Arena. "He’s done a great job."...In other words, according to Shoop, Kongbo has been "as advertised"

Kongo’s size — especially now, since he’s even bigger — has led many to wonder whether he’d ultimately move to defensive tackle, but Shoop said simply being 6-6, 282 pounds doesn’t eliminate the possibility of staying at defensive end.

...Shoop was quick to add that several other defensive linemen have impressed this summer, as well. He said he was recently taken aback during a skill-development session when he noticed all the talented defensive linemen who are back after sitting out this spring.

Bob Shoop: Tennessee Vols football's Jonathan Kongbo bigger, turning heads in workouts

Reactions: 22 people
Shoop has shown talent at his job.
The fact that he has never seen talent of this level and is "taken aback",
makes charger one happy Vol fan.

Reactions: 30 people
"Obviously everybody’s excited about Jonathan Kongbo, and he’s been a horse this summer," Shoop said Friday at the KOC Kickoff Classic luncheon in Thompson-Boling Arena. "He’s done a great job."...In other words, according to Shoop, Kongbo has been "as advertised"

Kongo’s size — especially now, since he’s even bigger — has led many to wonder whether he’d ultimately move to defensive tackle, but Shoop said simply being 6-6, 282 pounds doesn’t eliminate the possibility of staying at defensive end.

...Shoop was quick to add that several other defensive linemen have impressed this summer, as well. He said he was recently taken aback during a skill-development session when he noticed all the talented defensive linemen who are back after sitting out this spring.

Bob Shoop: Tennessee Vols football's Jonathan Kongbo bigger, turning heads in workouts

He will be a hybrid on the DL

Reactions: 4 people
This line from Shoop makes me very happy :D

“It makes me feel like we have depth up front and an upper-level SEC defensive line unit.”

Reactions: 4 people
Got a feeling that by the time the season begins Kongbo will be around 290 LBS and will be playing a DT role in some capacity.

This line from Shoop makes me very happy :D

“It makes me feel like we have depth up front and an upper-level SEC defensive line unit.”

That line really stood out to me, too, especially since it was preceded by:

“I mean, you look out there and we have (so many guys back),” Shoop said. “After this spring, with all the injuries we had, to see the full complement of guys we have out there in the skill-development sessions, that’s been great. To see Derek Barnett after he wasn’t out there this spring; to watch Kyle Phillips, who was out this spring, and he’s a former five-star; to watch Kendal Vickers, who wasn’t out there in the spring; to watch Shy Tuttle, who wasn’t out there this spring; to see Corey Vereen, who was only out there part-time this spring; to watch those guys, it’s really been incredible."

Reactions: 3 people

Bob Shoop: Tennessee Vols football's Jonathan Kongbo bigger, turning heads in workouts[/

Well that's nice to hear! I hope Shoop is saying the same thing during fall camp too. If all the pc's come together this could be a smoothering Dline!

I hope offenses we face will be taken back, way back!

Reactions: 1 person
Got a feeling that by the time the season begins Kongbo will be around 290 LBS and will be playing a DT role in some capacity.

Or he may melt 10 off over fall camp? Anyway, he's about the same size in weight that Malik Jackson played at DT. Just a bit taller iirc.

VN Store

Back