Triple threat: College football's top 10 defensive triplets

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Vols check in at #4. The Top 3 are in the SEC as well.

4. Tennessee

DE Derek Barnett, LB Darrin Kirkland Jr., CB Cameron Sutton

Tennessee's defense should benefit greatly from the arrival of a new coordinator. Bob Shoop's defenses have been ranked an average of 14th in the country in yards per play the past six seasons, and he has far more talent than he did at Vanderbilt and Penn State.

Barnett is the standout. He has 19 sacks in two seasons. An increasingly talented line, including breakout candidates Kahlil McKenzie and Jonathan Kongbo at tackle, helps take the pressure off Barnett.

Jalen Reeves-Maybin and his 200-plus career tackles would've been the clearer linebacker choice, but the versatile Kirkland emerged as a freshman and appears to have a higher ceiling. Shoop has indicated as much.

He also raved about Sutton's natural cover ability after seeing him this spring. Following a dip in talent the past five or so years, Butch Jones and the Vols have reloaded at every level of the defense. Shoop is the beneficiary.

Reactions: 17 people
I love that they included Kirkland instead of JRM. No offense for Jalen but DKjr has the much higher ceiling.

I think he becomes an all-american this season.

Reactions: 1 person
They have the talent but lack the hard nose all great defenses have.

Chief will more than likely fix that soon.

There's no way aTm should be that high now though. Having Myles is the main reason their that high and I honestly think its a push between him and Barnett. UT should be number 3 on the list and aTm should be behind Florida IMO.

Also think I'd put JRM for DKjr but it's nice to see DKjr get some love. He does have a very high ceiling with his mixture or brains and talent but JRM is a BEAST that plays waaaay bigger than he is.

Both LB's will spend lots of time in opposing teams backfields with Shoop directing this defense. DKjr may be a household name after this year with how quick he can get behind the line.

Reactions: 3 people
To say Kirkland has a higher ceiling than JRM is crazy to me. JRM has set the bar very high. Dude is a flat out baller.

I hope Kirkland does even better but id settle for a couple of JRM's at LB every year and be a happy camper.

Last edited:
To say Kirkland has a higher ceiling than JRM is crazy to me. JRM has set the bar very high. Dude is a flat out baller.

I hope Kirkland does even better but id settle for a couple of JRM's at LB every year and be a happy camper.

Very true^ IMO

Other than their build being diff from one another I think they play very similar. Both are great at run fits, quick to the backfield, and good in coverage.

With DKjr already playing at that level last year as a TF maybe he does have a higher ceiling, idk? JRM plays like his hair is on fire and bad strong for his size to boot. Watching him slam big Henry to the ground was freakin awesome! Lots of bigger LB's attempted the same thing during the year and Henry made em look silly.

DKjr may have more range and be a step faster and this year should play more instinctual and therefore even faster. 2 diff positions but I think they play pretty similar and were lucky to have either, much less both!

Reactions: 3 people

He may, but to put him in that list ahead of JRM is what's crazy.

I probably would have put Meeves-Raybin :))) instead of Kirkland Jr, but it's not like he's a scrub.

I wonder if the writer just looked at Kongbo's updated weight and that's why he is calling him a defensive tackle. I think its more likely that Shoop will use JK at multiple spots on the D-Line.

VN Store

Back