For every fan who ever questioned why we "let" a recruit get away...

BruisedOrange

Here's the quote, from our latest QB commit from Connecticut:

“It was really, really tough (to turn down UConn and Buffalo). I built great relationships with all these coaches. They sold me the world, honestly. They really told me everything I wanted to hear. There’s nothing wrong with their programs. All their programs are going in the right direction, it’s just that...

I want to go somewhere where I feel uncomfortable, actually."

Just a reminder that coaches can do everything right with a recruit, but in the end, it's the young man's decision, and he will have his own ideas and trust his own compass.

Reactions: 10 people

Just a reminder that coaches can do everything right with a recruit, but in the end, it's the young man's decision, and he will have his own ideas and trust his own compass.

I thought that sounded familiar.

He (Jones) repeatedly harped to his team that he wanted them to be, “comfortable being uncomfortable”, and urged his players to train “your minds and bodies right now”.

https://www.football.com/en-us/why-florida-is-so-important-to-butch-jones/

Reactions: 2 people

“It was really, really tough (to turn down UConn and Buffalo). I built great relationships with all these coaches. They sold me the world, honestly. They really told me everything I wanted to hear. There’s nothing wrong with their programs. All their programs are going in the right direction, it’s just that...

Our coaching staff would make great politicians(heaven forbid). :birgits_giggle:

Reactions: 1 person
"Just a reminder that coaches can do everything right with a recruit, but in the end, it's the young man's decision, and he will have his own ideas and trust his own compass."

Especially when his compass leads him to a Cadillac instead of a couple of Ford Pinto's.

Reactions: 4 people

If we have to put any effort to sell against UCONN and Buffalo... Buffalo is maybe the worst city in the US for winters next to Cleveland and Detroit and last about 6-7 months

"Just a reminder that coaches can do everything right with a recruit, but in the end, it's the young man's decision, and he will have his own ideas and trust his own compass."

Especially when his compass leads him to a Cadillac instead of a couple of Ford Pinto's.

Attachments

• serveimage.jpg
    serveimage.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 857
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
1) I have NO IDEA what is in the minds of a 17-18 year old (and I help make 2 of them at one point in my life)

and..

B. For this particular case...do you REALLY think there is a valid choice between UCONN, Buffalo and The University of Tennessee??!!

aaaaniwellnowTweetywasntthataNoBrai.gif

The kid's just being diplomatic. Once he got the UT offer this was a giant "no brainer" to him.

All we had to ask him was if he wanted to compete in the SEC or play in the AAC. It's like asking if someone would rather play in the NFL or the CFL. No comparison.

All we had to ask him was if he wanted to compete in the SEC or play in the AAC. It's like asking if someone would rather play in the NFL or the CFL. No comparison.

I think the question he had to consider was:
would you rather have the reasonable assurance of getting to start for 2-3 years and play near home?
Or would you rather take the challenge to compete in practice against 4 and 5 stars who've been attending off-season QB camps for years, when reason tells you the chances or surpassing them and getting on the field in the SEC should be minimal?

I don't think anyone's head was ever swayed by an offer to sit on an official SEC bench for 4 years. I think it is an indication Lewis is not your average kid.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah, let's see. ACC (UConn, 40k cap. stadium), AAC (Buffalo, 29k cap. stadium) .. or

SEC, SEC, SEC - Tennessee 100k fans.

Mmmmhmm. Tough choice!

I think the question he had to consider was:
would you rather have the reasonable assurance of getting to start for 2-3 years and play near home?
Or would you rather take the challenge to compete in practice against 4 and 5 stars who've been attending off-season QB camps for years, when reason tells you the chances or surpassing them and getting on the field in the SEC should be minimal?

I don't think anyone's head was ever swayed by an offer to sit on an official SEC bench for 4 years. I think it is an indication Lewis is not your average kid.

Great, now I'm more worried about all the Bama 5 stars that will be starting on D this year. Pretty much all those guys went there knowing they wouldn't start for a year or two

If by uncomfortable he meant he would rather play on a team with collegiate all-stars vs. 2 offers from glorified high school all star teams then I totally understand.

He will grow, probably not start or play, but a "slow grind is better than no grind" as someone once told me.

You know, had you saved his for when CJ Lewis is selected first overall in the NFL draft, you might have had the thread of the century.

However, Buffalo and Connecticut? Let's just say the offer list is not what impresses me about this young man.

Irrelevant. He is a 3* with an unimpressive offer list. Butch offered him a scholarship and he accepted it. Most of VN thinks he is not that impressive so that means he is not that good. Butch doesnt know what he is doing when it comes to recruiting.

VN Store

Back