Josh Dobbs vs Vince Young....Who would you take?

Dobbs 4 Heisman

Apparently twitter is going crazy over this poll.
https://mobile.twitter.com/FOXSportsKnox/status/758652820220436480

ESPN personality Bomani Jones is leading the outrage. https://mobile.twitter.com/bomani_jones

At first glance the choice seems ludacris, but if you compare Vince Young's redshirt sophomore stats (his 3rd year in college) with Josh's true junior stats (his 3rd year in college), they are eerily close. Vince Young Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

And before KBVol comes in here to argue that we should really be looking at Vince's redshirt junior stats in comparison to Josh's true junior stats. Just remember, before entering his true senior season, Josh will have played only 24 games at Tennessee. Before his redshirt junior year, Vince played in 22 games. Thus, Vince and Josh had essentially the same playing experience before their final seasons in college.

Vince (2004) vs Dobbs (2015)
2899 vs 3020 Total Yards
59.2% vs 59.6%
26 vs 27 Total TDs
11 vs 5 ints
128.4 vs 127.0 Rating

Then consider the statistical leaps Vince made in his final year at Texas. Over 4,000 total yards. 65% completion percentage. 38 total TDs.

I think Josh makes a similar statistical leap in his final year at Tennessee. Plus he wins a national title like Vince.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Vince-Young-Mugshot.jpg

Vince ain't lookin' too hot lately...

Bomani Jones also on twitter is saying we should compare Dobbs to PM before making the jump to Vince Young. So....if he is seriously trying to say Vince Young is a step above Peyton Manning then he loses all credibility there. Not that Bomani had much to begin with. The dude is a nutcase.

ESPN personality Bomani Jones is leading the outrage. https://mobile.twitter.com/bomani_jones

At first glance the choice seems ludacris, but if you compare Vince Young's redshirt sophomore stats (his 3rd year in college) with Josh's true junior stats (his 3rd year in college), they are eerily close. Vince Young Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

And before KBVol comes in here to argue that we should really be looking at Vince's redshirt junior stats in comparison to Josh's true junior stats. Just remember, before entering his true senior season, Josh will have played only 24 games at Tennessee. Before his redshirt junior year, Vince played in 22 games. Thus, Vince and Josh had essentially the same playing experience before their final seasons in college.

2899 vs 3020 Total Yards
59.2% vs 59.6%
26 vs 27 Total TDs
11 vs 5 ints
128.4 vs 127.0 Rating

Then consider the statistical leaps Vince made in his final year at Texas. Over 4,000 total yards. 65% completion percentage. 38 total TDs.

I think Josh makes a similar statistical leap in his final year at Tennessee. Plus he wins a national title like Vince.

Love Dobbs, but I'll take the guy who made the massive statistical leap, and basically single-handedly won his team the NC in one of the most dominant performances I've ever seen against one of the most talented college football teams of all time. Really, we're supposed to pick Dobbs on the assumption he does something similar?

Reactions: 10 people

2899 vs 3020 Total Yards
59.2% vs 59.6%
26 vs 27 Total TDs
11 vs 5 ints
128.4 vs 127.0 Rating

F&*k Bomani Jones

Love Dobbs, but I'll take the guy who made the massive statistical leap, and basically single-handedly won his team the NC in one of the most dominant performances I've ever seen against one of the most talented college football teams of all time. Really, we're supposed to pick Dobbs on the assumption he does something similar?

Completely agree. The only argument I would make is that Dobbs has been on this system for 3 years and knows it well, but that is splitting hairs.

Using Vince's improvement from year 3 to year 4 at Texas as the benchmark, this is what Josh's stat could look like in 2016 if he improved at the same rate Vince did.

Thru 13 games
3,546 passing yards
65.6% completion percentage
30 passing TDs
5 INTs
604 rushing yards
10 rushing TDs

Thru 15 games
4,092 passing yards
35 passing TDs
6 INTs
697 rushing yards
12 rushing TDs

Those would be some pretty gaudy stats if we played 15 games.

Josh could break a lot of records this year.

Last edited:
Vince is remembered for single handedly winning arguably one of the best college football games I've ever seen.

For me it's Vince Young.

Reactions: 9 people
Using Vince's improvement from year 3 to year 4 at Texas as the benchmark, this is what Josh's stat could look like in 2016 if he improved at the same rate Vince did.

Thru 13 games
3,546 paasing yards
30 passing TDs
5 INTs
604 rushing yards
10 rushing TDs

Thru 15 games
4,092 paasing yards
35 passing TDs
6 INTs
697 rushing yards
12 rushing TDs

Except josh playes in the SEC and Vince played in the Big 2

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Thru 13 games
3,546 paasing yards
30 passing TDs
5 INTs
604 rushing yards
10 rushing TDs

Thru 15 games
4,092 paasing yards
35 passing TDs
6 INTs
697 rushing yards
12 rushing TDs

Yes, he COULD, and I think we'd all be completely ecstatic if he does. However, I don't understand why there's some type of assumption that such an improvement is likely. Those types of leaps are pretty uncommon. Again, I truly hope he makes similar, or even larger, improvements, but I think the odds are definitely against him, and it almost seems like a foregone conclusion to you.

Reactions: 1 person
Vince is remembered for single handedly winning arguably one of the best college football games I've ever seen.

For me it's Vince Young.

Not only that, but he is ranked among the top 3 college quarterbacks to ever play the game. The attempts at comparing he and Dobbs is laughable at best (at this point).

Reactions: 2 people
Except josh playes in the SEC and Vince played in the Big 2

True. But Vince played in the Big 12 in 2004 as well and Josh was just as statistically productive in 2015 SEC as Vince was in 2004 Big 12.

A massive leap statiscally in your 4th year isn't unusual in the SEC. Guys like Dak Prescott and Brandon Allen made similar leaps the past few years.

Last edited:
Yes, he COULD, and I think we'd all be completely ecstatic if he does. However, I don't understand why there's some type of assumption that such an improvement is likely. Those types of leaps are pretty uncommon. Again, I truly hope he makes similar, or even larger, improvements, but I think the odds are definitely against him, and it almost seems like a foregone conclusion to you.

Not really. Dak Prescott made a big leap in 2014 going into his redshirt junior year. Brandon Allen made an even bigger leap in 2015 going into his redshirt senior year.

Go look up their stats. I actually made a thread about it a few months back. QBs make these big leaps very often from the 3rd to 4th year in a system. Allen was a little late waiting until his 5th year to make the big leap.

If we're simply talking passing stats, Josh is ahead of where Dak Prescott and Brandon Allen were as 3rd year players last season.

Last edited:
It's Vince Young until Dobbs wins a Natty or Heisman. Young was a gamer and was clutch, Dobbs hasn't proven he has those traits yet...

I agree. Vince is one of the greatest college QB ever and has a national title by his name.

Dobbs needs to win a national title and be a top heisman candidate to compare to him.

I think by January 9, 2017, he will.

Last edited:
Not only that, but he is ranked among the top 3 college quarterbacks to ever play the game. The attempts at comparing he and Dobbs is laughable at best (at this point).

Just remember, before the 2005 season, Texas fans were questioning whether Vince Young was a good enough passer to win them a national title. Not too different from how many feel around here about Dobbs.

Vince answered those critics by basically doubling all his passing stats in 2005 and carrying his team to a national title.

I believe Josh has the same potential. He'll shut up folks like you that doubt his passing ability.

VN Store

Back