Practice Updates 8.22.16

Fingers

Grant Ramey: Practice closed to media after 2 periods. Evan Berry takes kick back, butch ends period 2 early on that note. Then yells PRACTICE IS CLOSED!

So Evan Berry was back. Looked back on Friday per snapchat. Freshman WR Brandon Johnson back in practice, in green. Alexis Johnson there too

Jesse Simonton: Tennessee WR Preston Williams kept stealing reps on JUGGs machine from Josh Malone. 🍊 https://twitter.com/JesseReSimonton/status/767816782610432000/video/1

Fort: Alexis Johnson was at practice today and was going through the drills that we saw.

Patrick Brown: Evan Berry, Brandon Johnson (green) and Carlin Fils-aime (green) among those back at practice this afternoon.

Visual proof of Evan Berry and Brandon Johnson's presence at Tennessee's practice.
CqfZSoCWIAALmaP.jpg
CqfZTpcWAAEixVN.jpg

CqfZjr0WAAAG4d9.jpg

Austin Bornheim: Obligatory Jalen Hurd (and other RBs) practicing video https://twitter.com/ABornheim/status/767821596274941953/video/1

Griffith: #Vols offensive backfield ranks among nation's best, great speed and footwork https://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32/status/767825508990083073/video/1

From when we last saw practice, Dillon Bates, Evan Berry, Carlin Fils-aime, Brandon Johnson and Jack Jones were all back. Still, several others were out.

Alexis Johnson was at practice and from watching him go through drills he's pretty rusty. He will need to lose some weight to be ready to help and while they will try and get him up to speed as quickly as possible I think it's anyone's guess as to when he will be back.

Tuttle was in full gear today and looks to be getting better and moving better.

Evan Berry looked good in the time we saw him and the hope is he's over the hamstring injury that's limited him during camp.
Fort

Alexis Johnson was in full gear on the practice field. Johnson still has to do some things to get completely reinstated but he was practicing with the team on Monday. Fellow defensive tackle Shy Tuttle was in full gear working giving more optimism to the thought that Tuttle could be ready for a few snaps a week from Thursday. We will see. Another defensive lineman dressed in full gear for practice was redshirt freshman Andrew Butcher.

In the secondary after battling a tender hamstring Evan Berry was back on the practice field on Monday. The start of the week workout also saw the return of receiver Brandon Johnson and freshman Carlin Fils-Aime.

The Vols opened the practice with special teams work fielding punts and kickoffs will it was technique work for the defensive linemen and offensive linemen as they hit the sleds and worked on pad leverage.
Hubbs

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AOw-1r7XUA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tezxDiXb70[/youtube]

VQ Highlights: https://player.vimeo.com/video/179812398

Reeves-Maybin said earlier Monday that he’s still not sure if his shoulder is 100 percent.

Hurd, meanwhile, said earlier this fall that the coaches are making him wear the green jersey.

Game Helmets

Tennessee broke out its game helmets for the first time this fall. This is the fourth season the Vols have used different helmets for games than from practice, largely in an effort to reduce the maintenance needed to be performed on the equipment.

Scouting Report

Scouts from the Buffalo Bills, New York Jets and Washington Redskins were in attendance at Tennessee’s practice, which was closed to the media after two periods.
Griffith

K0016095841--1620160822172540000.JPG

K0016095873--1620160822172558000.JPG

K0016095859--1620160822172602000.JPG

Freshman running back Carlin Fils-aime was back on the field, albeit in a green, limited-contact jersey and a big club over his injured right hand. But he was back out there, which was good for the Vols.

Freshman wide receiver Brandon Johnson (hamstring) also was back on the field, albeit in a green, limited-contact jersey. Johnson seemed to be running around just fine, but admittedly we didn’t see a ton.

Sophomore defensive tackle Shy Tuttle also seemed to be in full pads for the first time this preseason — at least the first time with media on the field, anyway.

Sophomore linebacker Dillon Bates also was on the field in his regular, orange practice jersey after missing a couple of days with an undisclosed, minor injury.
Rucker

In addition to Berry, sophomore safety Micah Abernathy, freshman wide receiver Tyler Byrd, junior cornerback D.J. Henderson and freshman cornerback Marquill Osborne fielded kickoffs during some of Tennessee’s early special-teams work.

Junior running back Jalen Hurd wore a green, no-contact jersey but participated in early drills with the running backs, as did sophomore John Kelly and freshman Jeremy Lewis.
Callahan

Last edited:
Reactions: 35 people
Who's better with the football in their hands? Cordarrelle Patterson or Evan Berry?

from vol_football on Instagram storries, Marquill Osborne and Baylen Buchanan look to have amazing footwork and are very quick.

Noticed that RB Jeremy Lewis has had his stripe removed. That is a good sign. He's also bigger than I realized. Definitely bigger than Kelly

Reactions: 1 person
No HKV observations today. Practice was supposed to be at 4:30 but got moved to 4. I learned about this around 3:45, so I had no time to make it. It takes me about 25-30 minutes to get to campus so I was supposed to make it in less than 10 minutes? No sir haha.

Practice is closed all week. However, Saturday is open but TBA. So we'll keep you updated as much as possible. Sorry about that but blame UT on this one.

Reactions: 4 people
Berry-- don't like hearing about the hammy a-la Arian Foster-- Glad Alexis out there, we just need him to be able to take 10-20 snaps by SEC play... I think J Jennings is gonna have a great year and will be rocking by the Ohio game. JRM actually saying he doesn't know if he is 100% or not, worries me... No app st, minimal snaps against VT, no snaps against Ohio, then hopefully he is good from there...

No HKV observations today. Practice was supposed to be at 4:30 but got moved to 4. I learned about this around 3:45, so I had no time to make it. It takes me about 25-30 minutes to get to campus so I was supposed to make it in less than 10 minutes? No sir haha.

Practice is closed all week. However, Saturday is open but TBA. So we'll keep you updated as much as possible. Sorry about that but blame UT on this one.

it's ok

Looks like based off of that Vimeo video Butcher is carrying the extra weight well 👍🏻👍🏻

Who's better with the football in their hands? Cordarrelle Patterson or Evan Berry?

Honestly, CP.

But please don't think I'm taking anything away from Berry because he is a speed demon. I just think Berry had some very good blocking. CP was more natural at making people miss. Still, I'd love to have either returning.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah I think so too, hopefully he gets some playing time other than just at KR, so he makes an NFL roster - another year to go after this one so I guess he has time

He's good enough of a kick returner that he'll make it to the league purely based on that.

VN Store

Back