Guarantano's talent turning heads at Tennessee

weallvol

Josh Malone laughed before answering when asked to assess the most impressive skill Jarrett Guarantano has showed so far in preseason camp.

Malone, a junior wide receiver, knew the answer. Anyone who has watched Tennessee so far in preseason camp knows the answer.

“His arm,” Malone said.
You don’t catch passes from Guarantano. You survive them.

The highly touted freshman quarterback from New Jersey has a mean fastball.

“I mean, the kid’s got a cannon,” Malone said. “Like, we always get on him, because every one of his balls are bullets. It’s like he’s trying to drill the ball through you.”

Senior linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin said he and junior running back Alvin Kamara — two of the Vols’ four captains — enjoy messing with Guarantano, but he said they do it for a reason. They’re trying to toughen him up like leather.

“I like Jarrett,” Reeves-Maybin said. “Me and Alvin mess with him all the time, just ‘cause he’s the quarterback and he’s gonna have to have a lot of confidence when it’s his time to take the team. But I think he’s performing well. He’s still learning a lot. It’s a lot for a freshman, playing quarterback, but I think he’s progressing well.

“He’ll be a great player here.”

Freshman quarterback Jarrett Guarantano's talent turning heads for Tennessee Vols football

Reactions: 31 people
"You don’t catch passes from Guarantano. You survive them."

Gotta love that. Hope this kid gets a whole season to redshirt. Gonna be a smokin' hot QB competition in 17'.

Reactions: 5 people
Guarantano once threw a bullet pass to Paul Bain, the football turned & went the other direction.

Reactions: 33 people
Great job by Butch to go and get a talent like JG. Been a long time since we've had a kid this talented with this big an arm at UT. Hope he develops and becomes the special player so many seem to think he's destined to be.

He only throws at one speed.
I said this last year.

I know a lot of you all are gaga over that.

Truth is he needs have a changeup. A few change ups. Luckily he'll have time to adjust. I'm hoping he will.

Reactions: 11 people
I said this last year.

Truth is he needs have a changeup. A few change ups. Luckily he'll have time to adjust. I'm hoping he will.

That comes with the progression of being a college QB. He's very accurate though.

Reactions: 2 people
I said this last year.

He just needs to develop some touch, which will come with experience.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd rather have an accurate QB with a cannon that needs to tone it down a bit with some touch than a weak-armed QB who can't always get the ball where it needs to be.

JG has the potential to be the best QB we've had in many years.

Reactions: 9 people
I'd rather have an accurate QB with a cannon that needs to tone it down a bit with some touch than a weak-armed QB who can't always get the ball where it needs to be.

I think he will be the first Tennessee player to win the Heisman trophy. I'm not one to make crazy statements, but for some reason I think he is the perfect QB for this system and will explode on to the scene.

Not years. EVER.

Reactions: 18 people
I said this last year.

He'll figure that out, it can easily be coached as I'm sure you know. The bigger question is gonna be can he master/command the offense and quickly process the defensive coverages he sees and make good decisions accordingly. All that's yet to be determined. But give me the guy who has the big, accurate arm.....we got at least 2 of em going forward in QD and JG and that excites me as a Vol fan.

VN Store

Back