Will Vols rely on split back formation?

I have a strong feeling we are going to see a very different U.T. team this year. I think this article's assumptions are outdated. JMO

Reactions: 1 person
May the Vols O befuddle, frustrate, and smoke every opponent's D. Amen, and pass the orange ade.

Reactions: 14 people
I doubt it will be a regular formation but I think it would be effective. Tennessee seems to like 3WR shotgun with a TE.
I personally think with Hurd that a pistol formation would work well. Gets him lined up behind the qb instead of parallel or offset and this still allows the read option to be effective.
At this point I don't really care if we come out in single wing or pro set. I am just ready for Sept 1st.

Meh, with Josh Dobbs receiving the snaps, we have a built-in split back benefit without having to use up one of our 11 spots. That's the value of a true dual-threat QB.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for throwing in some 2-RB sets with Hurd and Kamara. We just don't need it to create uncertainty in the direction the ball might take out of the backfield.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 4 people
I don't know we'll see Hurd and Kamara in too many split back formations but I hope we see both of them on the field at the same time.........a lot.

Split back sets attempts to use deception to gain an advantage. With Dobbs feared as a runner we can achieve this deception and still have an extra blocker for the run game. If both backs are out there I want to see Kamara lined up in the slot, not in the backfield

Get as much talent on the field as possible

Well, Coax, we're going to have 11 players' worth of talent on the field, regardless of which formation we use.

But if you mean that more "skill position" players is always better, might want to reconsider. At the extreme limit, 11 backs and receivers with no blockers would not end well.

Mixing it up, finding the right balance, taking advantage of what the defense offers, that's the key to offensive play calling, isn't it?

So it's not always going to be 5 linemen, 2 TEs, 2 RBs, one wideout and the QB. And it's not always going to be 5 linemen, the QB, 1 RB, and 4 receivers. But it could sometimes be each of these, and everything in between.

So "as much talent as possible" is great, but equating that to Dobbs + Hurd + Kamara every play is probably not.

Let's mix it up.

Go Vols!

No not specifically skill players but whatever gives us best chance to win. Split back, 4 wide , I-formation...

Hard to say. I doubt it but could be why media hasnt actually got to film anything.

Media does not need to be filming practices. You don't see them doing it at any other program, so why here? Not a reason to suspect certain packages, just that coaching staff has common sense.

Meh, with Josh Dobbs receiving the snaps, we have a built-in split back benefit without having to use up one of our 11 spots. That's the value of a true dual-threat QB.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for throwing in some 2-RB sets with Hurd and Kamara. We just don't need it to create uncertainty in the direction the ball might take out of the backfield.

Go Vols!

2 is better than 1, but 3 is better than 2

Reactions: 2 people
Media does not need to be filming practices. You don't see them doing it at any other program, so why here? Not a reason to suspect certain packages, just that coaching staff has common sense.

Just my opinion with some wishful thinking...don't worry won't happen again geez

If I where OC I would never have another personnel group than this. I would stay in split back running the triple option until they stopped me! Been thinking this since Kamara showed up on campus.

It is a luxury having two co-starters at RB, and I don't see us using that set very often. A good rotation keeps fresh legs in the game, and I like keeping options at WR and TE on the field. We have two great threats at TE and will look to them regularly. Plus, as already stated, Dobbs serves as a second running option on just about every play.

I personally would love to see an I-formation look on a occasion. Either member of RUN CMG would be deadly running out of it, and our play action passing game would be lethal. Which would make for a killer offense ! Deadly...killer....lethal..lol, as a member in good standing of VOLNATION, I approve this message 👊👊GBO

VN Store

Back