Ones that got away

fade route

Just being honest
Maybe this isn't thread worthy but I heard an interesting conversation on sports radio about instate recruits that were never pursued by their home state school that went on to do great things at other programs and beyond.

So I was thinking about Tennessee kids that were never recruited or overlooked by the Vols that went on to good or great college careers elsewhere and 3 came to mind:

Spurrier
Chad Pennington
Randall Cobb

Am I missing anyone else?

There are "ones that got away" in every state..every program. It's not an exact science...so I wouldn't be so quick to frown on a specific coach or coaches. Some people instinctly seem to focus on the "negative"!

Reactions: 1 person
Randall Cobb was pursued. Just too late and half effort

Patrick Willis a great one mentioned above. Do we include Terrell Owens? He was from Chatanooga right (or only played at UTC?)

Last edited:
Randall Cobb was pursued. Just too late and half effort

Patrick Willis a great one mentioned above. Do we include Terrell Owens? He was from Chatanooga right (or only played at UTC?)

The story goes Terrell Owens thought he had signed with Tennessee and later realized it was UTC.

Reactions: 4 people
No use in crying over spilled milk. Now that the season is starting there's plenty of thread topics to be discussed . :question: NSD will be the time to talk about the ones that got away.

Reactions: 2 people
Tee Higgins?

32310437_Still.jpg

clemson-firework-commitment-video.jpg

de40934fa819b9f2f9011164724b2f10_crop_exact.jpg

Maybe this isn't thread worthy but I heard an interesting conversation on sports radio about instate recruits that were never pursued by their home state school that went on to do great things at other programs and beyond.

So I was thinking about Tennessee kids that were never recruited or overlooked by the Vols that went on to good or great college careers elsewhere and 3 came to mind:

Spurrier
Chad Pennington
Randall Cobb

Am I missing anyone else?

There have been so many that it's awful to think about.....here are just a few:
Alex Barrs, 4★ OT, to ND, Nashville
Dillion Mitchel, 4★, WR to OR, Memphis
Tyrel Dotson, 4★, ILB to TAMU, Spring Hill
Jackson Harris, 4★, TE, to GA, Columbia
Rico McGraw, 4★, CB, to GA, Nashville
Bryce Matthews, 4★, OT, to Ole Miss, Brentwood
Emmitt Gooden, 4★, DE, to MS St.... (we might get him yet out of JuCo), Brownsville
Taquarius Tisdale, +3★, Ath/LB, Ole Miss, Lexington

We have missed all these, and more, since 2014, meaning they'd all be contributing now for us. I've missed a number of good ones no doubt.

VN Store

Back