College Football Week 1 Predictions: Picking Top 25 Games Against the Spread

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
College Football Week 1 Predictions: Picking Top 25 Games Against the Spread | Bleacher Report

Appalachian State vs. No. 9 Tennessee

hi-res-a160a66b52bc62cfaada90abfdc33791_crop_north.jpg
Mike Carlson/Getty Images

When: Thursday, Sept. 1, 7:30 p.m. ET (SEC Network)
The Line: Tennessee (-20)
One of the biggest "what if" teams of 2016 is Tennessee, which is the favorite to win the SEC East Division. Head coach Butch Jones' squad also holds a 20-point advantage over Appalachian State in the opener.
The Vols will attempt to establish the running game with a three-headed monster of Joshua Dobbs, Jalen Hurd and Alvin Kamara, but the Mountaineers shouldn't get steamrolled.
Last season, they sported the nation's No. 27 rush defense. The departure of Ronald Blair stings, but nearly every other key piece returns in the front seven. Plus, Taylor Lamb is a low-risk, efficient quarterback. He can keep App State competitive—or throw a late, bad-beat touchdown.
Not reaching a 20-point margin of victory shouldn't be considered a disappointment for Tennessee. Rather, it's a testament to the Mountaineers' formidable 2016 roster.
The Pick: Appalachian State (+20)

We win by at least 28 imo

Number 27 rush defense means nothing when you play trash teams. So tired of seeing that in these articles.

Appy States combined opponent record was 73-89.

Take Clemson out, who crushed them, and the record is miserable 59-88.

Reactions: 3 people
We will have to throw on them successfully to beat the spread. Clemson only rushed 140 on em

We will have to throw on them successfully to beat the spread. Clemson only rushed 140 on em

That won't be a problem. They just don't have the athletes to run with the Vols. I was very tempted to put some money on this game, but want to see how
Dobbs and the passing game looks first.

I am curious to see if Appy State even gives Evan or Cam a chance to return a kick.

I'm saying a 42-10 score so we will cover barely. I think we will have a good game on the ground. Clemson had a good run game but we have a better one IMO. Well put up 200 rushing I think. I'm hoping we can keep their offense in check though, they are a solid offensive football team.

I'm saying a 42-10 score so we will cover barely. I think we will have a good game on the ground. Clemson had a good run game but we have a better one IMO. Well put up 200 rushing I think. I'm hoping we can keep their offense in check though, they are a solid offensive football team.

How is a 32 point win barely covering a 20 point spread?

Not being a jerk, I don't bet

Reactions: 2 people
How is a 32 point win barely covering a 20 point spread?

Not being a jerk, I don't bet
I thought about that after I posted it lol 42-10 a 20 point spread that would mean beating the spread by 12. So I shouldn't have said "barely". Math has never been my strong suit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee 69
App State 6

Vols put on a show for the national tv audience. Game is over at half-time when we go up 42-0.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee 69
App State 6

Vols put on a show for the national tv audience. Game is over at half-time when we go up 42-0.

I like your positivity D4H but man that's a bold prediction. There's no way I see us putting up 69 points against this team.

I can see App State only scoring 6 against our awesome defense though. 42-0 at the half? That's even bolder than the 69-6 predicted final score buddy. :eek:hmy:

I don't know how much the raw stats can actually tell you.

The Vols will attempt to establish the running game with a three-headed monster of Joshua Dobbs, Jalen Hurd and Alvin Kamara, but the Mountaineers shouldn't get steamrolled. Last season, they sported the nation's No. 27 rush defense.

Last year we held Alabama to 2.79 ypc on 42 rushing attempts (their lowest rush production rate for the year) but we gave up 5.73 ypc to Western Carolina on 33 attempts. To me that suggests a difference in motivation by our front 7 or maybe the coaches had the 2nd and 3rd team guys in more in the back half of the WC game. It's like we sort of quit playing our best when we get a lead.

I think App State will be motivated. They seem to be a high character, well-coached team. I'd expect their best effort against us from start to finish. If we give our best effort against them for 60 min, on both sides of the ball, we will more than double up the spread. I just don't know if we are going to use this game to make a statement or just get out of it with a win.

Alabama held Clemson to 3.82 ypc on 38 rushing attempts; Appalachian State held Clemson to 3.18 ypc on 44 attempts. Oklahoma held us to 2.87 ypc rushing on 45 attempts while Clemson hit them up for 5.38 ypc on 58 attempts.

It will be interesting to see how this game turns out beyond just our winning on the scoreboard.

For comparison purposes, in yards/game, Alabama had the #1 rush defense last year, Clemson was at #18, as noted App State was at #27, we were at #45, and Oklahoma was at #53. I don't think the raw rankings are that important to some coaches. It's only the Alabamas of the world who always have to be #1 in everything. :)

Sounds similar to the predictions when UT went up against the Vandy then NW D's last year.

With Dobbs, Kamara and Hurd, the Vols should indeed out rush Clemson.....as well as most other teams in the SEC, just like last year

A "Welcome to Tennessee" party for Bob Shoop. Vols D shuts down what will prove in the rest of the year to be a pretty good App State offense. Final score is something ridiculous like 51-0. Vols don't just cover the spread, they pulverize it, make it seem trivial in retrospect.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back