SEC to implement collaborative instant replay

kamoshika

The Southeastern Conference is set to implement a collaborative process for instant replay in the sport of football beginning Thursday night, with Appalachian State visiting Tennessee at 7:30 p.m. ET on The SEC Network and Vanderbilt hosting South Carolina at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN in the first conference game of the 2016 season. Under this upgraded system for instant replay reviews, personnel operating from SEC Headquarters will assist the in-stadium Instant Replay Officials when replay decisions are made.

The SEC's offseason decision to implement this new instant replay process came following a unanimous vote of the league's athletics directors and approval by the SEC Executive Committee at SEC Spring Meetings in June.

"Our goal is to continue to use the best-available resources to support correct outcomes when instant replay is used," SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey said upon approval of the initiative. "We believe the collaborative effort, which will involve additional officiating experts during replay reviews, will enhance the Conference's football officiating program. I believe this update to the instant replay review process will better support football officiating in the SEC through the use of technology."

SEC to implement collaborative instant replay

Reactions: 1 person
The only downside I see here is prolonging the process. But, I suppose getting it right is worth it.

Also, who has the final say if they disagree??

Reactions: 2 people
I don't like the idea of a bunch of Bammers having that much input during the games. I'm seeing a conspiracy festering that's based in Birmingham.

Reactions: 4 people
I see Tennessee getting screwed with this new review policy at least once this season.

Bama will still get their call when it matters, so may as well just give them a beatdown and take it out of the zebras hands.

Will this help them when they flag the return team for blocking in the back, when they clearly blocked in the back. Only to pick up the flag after the block in the back assists the returner to go all the way for aTD?

I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: 3 people
I do question why mosleys hit on the Ky player was called targeting,My question is was the hit so violent that the refs fealt they needed to call somthing? As far as a "Football Hit" it was text book to me. That hit was loud too! It sounded great on my surround sound system at home Lol!!

NFL does this and half the time the ref who is giving the breakdown on what they are looking at at the distant location says something different than what they end up calling on the field.

Man, that would be a fun job. Get paid to chill in the office, watch football and decide the calls of any SEC games you work. Sign me up.

Is there a chance that a review committee would still rule Moseley's hit on the Kentucky receiver was targeting?

They brought this play up specifically when they were discussing why they were going to this. They said it should have been overturned. I believe that was back at media days when I saw them discussing it.

Reactions: 2 people
Man, that would be a fun job. Get paid to chill in the office, watch football and decide the calls of any SEC games you work. Sign me up.

Heh, I know, right? I am so totally qualified to do this job. I mean, I'd have to learn the rules and all, but after that I'm totally best-qualified. :good!:

I just know this is going to be so good for the game...well, at least for selling more commercial time...:thud:

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back