Big League Play by Colton Jumper

Watched the fourth quarter again today during my lunch break. My stream crapped out for the last few minutes of the game Sunday morning and I missed that play. I already knew the result but I still nearly jumped out of my seat in excitement when I saw it!

Let's hope he carries this level of play to the Dawgs on Saturday.

Reactions: 1 person
Much maligned on here and well, somewhat deserved based on his previous play.
That said, he had a great game so here is hoping the light just came on.

Reactions: 2 people
That was very good coverage. I appreciate how Abernathy and Moseley both encouraged Jumper after that play.

(Fast forwarding to the next play, just want to send a suggestion to Abernathy, to look for that ball, because there's likely only one place it's going to land in that situation as the receiver is running in that direction / because you likely could have had a very, very nice interception on your resume right there. Really, really practice that this week, because Eason will likely be trying to replicate that exact throw on Saturday).

He still gets blocked alot, but definitely some skill I didn't give him credit for! :salute:

Much maligned on here and well, somewhat deserved based on his previous play.
That said, he had a great game so here is hoping the light just came on.

Can we give both Thigpen and Shoop some credit too.
You know they have done everything they can think of to try to help Jumper.

Reactions: 2 people
For the guy to have to come in and be expected to play like DK with less ability he is doing a heck of a job. Had the best game of his life Saturday and really responded well from giving up the early TD

Reactions: 3 people
He led the team in tackles with 8, Daddy didn't buy gator dives now did he? He had a great game. I hope those who keep harping on his way being bought and paid for, please STFU! It is fair to be critical on his past performances, but this performance certainly raises his stock. He has come a long way. How many walkon no-stars have help beat Florida in the last 11 years? He just earned another chance for some SEC respect. He maybe not elite, but he held up his part in beating Florida.

Reactions: 5 people
He played very well...and much faster than a year ago. I know we've all been scratching our heads when Shoop would praise him...Now we know why.

I wonder if he is "much faster" than last year. Thinking back to last year, I think he was slower getting to the area of the play. Makes me think he understands quicker this year than last year where he needs to be.

I wonder if he is "much faster" than last year. Thinking back to last year, I think he was slower getting to the area of the play. Makes me think he understands quicker this year than last year where he needs to be.

Good point. Maybe he's reacting a split second sooner. Point is, he's "playing" faster than last season.

I watched the 2nd half again this morning. He made at least 3 big plays in the 2nd half. Really happy for the kid. Hope he continues to improve.

I'll admit when I'm wrong. I thought Jumper was a liability. I was wrong. Not bad....for a ginger.

PS...good thing crow tastes like chicken

While I wish we had Kirkland and Sutton back for this tough stretch, it's good to see Jumper settling in like Saturday and not costing us a game. Several plays it looked like we had our entire second string defense out there in the second half. It didn't matter though because Shoop did an awesome job as well as the players at being motivated and making plays. I was scared when I saw some of the names that were on the field in the second half at times, but you couldn't tell a difference between them and our normal starting 11. Hope they keep it up in the coming weeks.

I have been pretty tough on Jumper and he definitely made me eat my own words! Not only are the 8 tackles HUGE but he was a big time leader on the field and absolutely killed getting everyone else lined up to make plays. I remember several times he was literally pulling someone to where they needed to be before the play started. Awesome job big man!

Here's an interesting article about Mr. Jumper. The kid did good.

Top defensive grades

LB Colton Jumper 86.3
ED Derek Barnett 83.5
CB Emmanuel Moseley 82.8
LB Cortez McDowell 77.6
S Todd Kelly, Jr. 74.4

Vols get contributions at every level of the defense

After a slow start, the defense cracked down starting in the second quarter. Jumper made an impact in the run game, but he was extra impressive in coverage where he allowed three receptions that netted no yards and he deflected a pass on a wheel route. Barnett did his usual fine work, picking up two sacks, one QB hit, one hurry and a batted pass on 31 rushes to go with his quick block-shedding in the run game. Moseley gave up some yards along the way, but he got in on a number of key plays including the clinching pass defensed late in the fourth quarter.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/co...see-grades-dobbs-carries-offense-in-vols-win/

No doubt about it. He played loose and faster than ever before. He keyed that 3rd and 1 in the 3rd quarter (1:31:14 of the video) that opened the door. Got off the block of the guard and made a big play. I've been riding the anti-Jumper bandwagon too. Kudo's to a great game.

Jumper is a player, Shoops wouldn't have started him if he wasn't. For those A&&holes that stated his daddy was a big donor and that's why he's playing can hug a nut. This kid is smart, has good field vision, needs to work on pass coverage but he's been beaten by WR's but makes up for it down the road. They have the speed on him but he breaks down and makes tackle after tackle in the open field. Bottom line is, like him or not the kid can play. I don't give a ratsass if his dad sends 10 mill a year to UT, this kid is special. Flame away but I know ball players and this kid can play. A little slow at times because he's thinking too much but he adjusts better than JRM. Smart kid.

Hit me with your shots!

VN Store

Back