Dillon Bates played quite a few snaps vs UF...

#1ManningFan

Vol for Life
Just wanted hear yalls thoughts on his performance. I thought he was okay granted he was thrown into live fire against a big rival. He seemed timid but that's understandable. Will only get better with experience.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought I briefly saw him sitting up on the wall during post-game celebration, cheering on the VOLS for and with all of Volnation -- that's the play I remember, and what's good enough for me for now.

he made a heads up play recovering the muffed punt on the 3 yd line. unfortunately we didn't capitalize on the turnover but he did make a good contribution there

Reactions: 10 people
He had a few bad plays where he took terrible angles and ran right into blocks. Not very surprising with the lack of playing time, but as Jumper has proven, he can probably get better with more snaps.

Reactions: 6 people
Good to finally see him on D. When he came out of high school I thought he would've been starting by year 2 but I guess I was wrong.

to me seeing him play linebacker was telling. I think the coaches are starting to trust him. Should be something to keep an eye on going forward with JRM and DK out.

Just wanted hear yalls thoughts on his performance. I thought he was okay granted he was thrown into live fire against a big rival. He seemed timid but that's understandable. Will only get better with experience.

The "needs experience" part is what I think too. Didn't he have a couple of shoulder issues before and after joining UT? Still lingering maybe along with needing experience?

Regardless, I am so sick and tired of shoulder injuries at UT over the last three years.

It was a huge relief seeing him play. I have been cheering for this kid for awhile, and seeing him disappear after being one of the most coveted recruits in the 2014 class was disappointing. I really hope he continues to improve and to step up. Would love to see him be a major contributor to Team 120.

Reactions: 4 people
he made a heads up play recovering the muffed punt on the 3 yd line. unfortunately we didn't capitalize on the turnover but he did make a good contribution there

This. Had he not recovered and UF marched down the field (as they were doing in that half) and scored, it might have been a totally different ball game.

While Kirkland and JRM are out, I hope they continue the LB rotation. Jumper did have a great game against Florida. I hope he can continue that level of success against UGA. McDowell seems to also be doing well.

Rotating the "Killer B's" in/out will only help our depth: Bynum, Bates, Bryant & Bituli

Is Sapp injured?

Reactions: 3 people
While Kirkland and JRM are out, I hope they continue the LB rotation. Jumper did have a great game against Florida. I hope he can continue that level of success against UGA. McDowell seems to also be doing well.

Rotating the "Killer B's" in/out will only help our depth: Bynum, Bates, Bryant & Bituli

Is Sapp injured?

Yep--knee surgery. Out for the year. Hurt it in the Ohio game.

The "needs experience" part is what I think too. Didn't he have a couple of shoulder issues before and after joining UT? Still lingering maybe along with needing experience?

Regardless, I am so sick and tired of shoulder injuries at UT over the last three years.

Tackling technique seems to be much different today because of the targeting rules. I wonder how much impact that is having with the shoulder injuries. I pretty sure it's not just a Vol thing.

Reactions: 2 people
Tackling technique seems to be much different today because of the targeting rules. I wonder how much impact that is having with the shoulder injuries. I pretty sure it's not just a Vol thing.

I believe it's having an impact on knee and ankle injuries.

Multiple shoulder issues with surgery will set anyone back, but he's fighting his way back to the rotation, via special teams
The best is yet to come from Mr Bates it appears:good!:

He looked a great deal skinnier on TV than I had imagined.

That's about my only takeaway

That is the exact same thing I was saying, as he doesn't look like he has added any weight after being in the program for 2 years. He looks like he is about 215 lbs (if that)

We seem to have a knack for high ankle sprains. I'm not sure if it's the crappy field, our players' techniques, or if all of college football is experiencing this but I just do not recall high ankle sprains being such an issue 5-10 years ago.

He looked lost. McDowell came in and played very well. I think the coaches put him in to show the fans Jumper is actually better than Bates. Bates will improve but he's getting passed by other more talented LB's.

One poster above commented on Bates' frame as being skinny.....I would agree......Bates is proving to be a "tweener" in the SEC....

too slow to play Safety position, and just not big and physical enough to play LB....

I did see one play were he turned his back to the UGA OL and got pushed down the field for > 5 yards....

Seems to lack the disposition of a killer....but still has time to improve....

VN Store

Back