McGill Toolen
Mobile, AL
HT: 6' 2"
WT: 180lbs

DT QB

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/80437

Bubba Thompson, McGill Toolen, Pro-Style Quarterback

Bubba Thompson - Hudl

Tennessee has offered Bubba Thompson, an Auburn baseball commitment as a quarterback.

CJ Lewis lost his starting spot this fall at Cheshire Academy and it sounds like there may be a mutual parting of ways coming on that front.

Hoping to catch up with Thompson later tonight, but definitely something to watch here.
-Fortenberry

Reactions: 3 people
McT Football
@McTJacketsFB: McGill QB Bubba Thompson is visiting Tennessee today accompanied by Coach Zach Golson and some McT teammates! #McTFamily

Tweet from 2 days ago.

Pro-style huh?

His highlights show he can move pretty well.

*Perfect Game (baseball recruiting service) has him running a 6.35 60. Also says he has hit 88 when throwing from the outfield.

Last edited:
First-year starter for the defending 7A champs but has completed 74% of his passes for 22 TDs & 1 INT in 8 games.

Though he hasn’t played much varsity football, Thompson’s sheer ability seems unquestioned.

“He’s an incredible athlete,” Ross said. “Bubba is by far the fastest kid probably in the school. He is a legit 4.4 in the 40. He is full speed in two steps. There aren’t many people who can do that. He has great arm talent – can throw it deep and can throw it with accuracy. I expect him to have a special season in the fall.”

McGill-Toolen's multi-talented Bubba Thompson could have future in baseball, football or both - al.com

QB Bubba Thompson, McGill-Toolen receivers shine in winning national 7-on-7 tournament - al.com

Reactions: 1 person
Do yourself a favor and watch this kid's highlights. Has a really strong arm and is quick. Definitely not pro-style. certainly like his film more than Lewis'. Could be another late bloomer that Butch and Co. dug up before anyone else.

His highlights show he can move pretty well.

*Perfect Game (baseball recruiting service) has him running a 6.35 60. Also says he has hit 88 when throwing from the outfield.

Dormady's scouting report...pretty much.

McGill Toolen Catholic High quarterback Bubba Thompson is the News 5 , Greene and Phillips Player of the Week. Bubba threw 4 touchdown passes and ran for a 73 yard touchdown run in the Yellowjackets 39-36 triple overtime win over Davidson High last Friday night at the Lip. The defending 7A Champs, play Murphy Friday at Ladd Peebles Stadium.

Player of the Week 2: McGill Toolen’s Bubba Thompson

Wow, I'm usually skeptical about "steals" like this at the QB position, but dude's stats and speed seems legit. I wonder which sport he will choose

So we went from Hunter Johnson to Bubba. Lawd have mercy.

Bob Welton according to most here on VN can turn 0 stars into 3 stars which fits the script here. That said the keys are to Guarantano in the very near future, so this spot might not be as crucial. 🕶 Need big timer for '18 class though.

This kid will likely be drafted out of HS. He didn't get to where he is on the baseball side without really focusing on baseball first. So if he has decided to focus on football, or decides to moving forward this could be interesting.

For a comparison on his speed, those of you that have watched UT baseball, Brodie Leftridge is our fastest guy. The scouts recently said his speed really stood out at our pro day. This kid has .2 on him in the 60.

Reactions: 3 people
Don't mean to D4H this guy or anything, but my goodness his midseason highlight film looked impressive. I get that it's only the good plays, but he seems like he can flat out fly and he's stepping into throws and dropping dimes 40 yards down field.

Maybe it's just me but I like QBs with baseball backgrounds. Seems to go hand in hand with them being "gamers," accurate passers, and many times mentally tough kids. Probably over thinking it, but I wouldn't mind taking him in a year where we really don't "need" a QB.

Reactions: 1 person
If he's already a AUB baseball commit, I don't see what they've got to lose in offering to let him be dual sport... I imagine that will be the plan for us as well.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back