Tidbit from just a vol

Big Gucci Sosa

Sniper Gang.
JAV is well connected and dropped this off today

First, from what I've been told, Butch Jones is a full go at Tennessee. He has kicked the tires at Purdue but there's really no interest there from either side. He's told multiple people that he knows that his best opportunity is the one he already has. I'm sure that there will be more rumors and tire kicking but there's very little chance that he will go elsewhere.

I believe that you will see a better close to recruiting than you might expect and a renewed sense of urgency from the top down. I know that CBJ has told people that he's already reevaluated some of the changes that he made this year and has identified what he sees as success and failure and is already working on a plan for 2017.
Whatever you might think of him, no one works harder than Butch Jones. He is extremely driven.

I also believe, based on several conversations, that CBJ is very serious about bringing in highly regarded assistants to replace anyone who leaves. There will almost certainly be a shared OC position with DeBord coaching the OL and a high profile QB coach. I know that there already has been an informal 3rd party conversation with Helfrich and Applewhite. I believe that both of them would be open to the CO OC idea.

Bob Shoop will be the DC at Tennessee next year. CBJ doesn't want to start over again and Shoop knows that his reputation took a bit of a hit this year. He loves living in Tennessee and he's excited about what can be done with some changes next season.

I've been doubtful about JG as a passer because I've seen him be very inconsistent in that department. Someone I trust very much has relayed to me that he has made a huge leap in the last couple of months specifically. He's really worked very hard to learn the offense and has looked very confident. He's always been an electric runner and now he's rounding into form as a passer. I love QD but if JG keeps improving, especially with a really good QB coach, he's most likely going to be the man.

I've been critical of CBJ this year and I have my doubts still. However, he is the absolute best option for Tennessee for the next couple of years. The worst thing that could happen is for him to leave voluntarily or involuntarily. There isn't anyone who is a viable, better option than Butch right now. No one knows how things will play out. Those who are comparing him to Dooley are foolish and those longing for Kiffin are deluding themselves. The proof will be in the next few weeks as to how the rest of CBJ's tenure will go here. If Bob Shoop is allowed to get coaches of his own choosing and CBJ can attract a young, high profile QB coach, I'll see that as a huge step forward in the evolution of Butch Jones."

Reactions: 125 people
However, he is the absolute best option for Tennessee for the next couple of years.

z5w2K3.gif

Reactions: 40 people

First, from what I've been told, Butch Jones is a full go at Tennessee. He has kicked the tires at Purdue but there's really no interest there from either side. He's told multiple people that he knows that his best opportunity is the one he already has. I'm sure that there will be more rumors and tire kicking but there's very little chance that he will go elsewhere.
I believe that you will see a better close to recruiting than you might expect and a renewed sense of urgency from the top down. I know that CBJ has told people that he's already reevaluated some of the changes that he made this year and has identified what he sees as success and failure and is already working on a plan for 2017. Whatever you might think of him, no one works harder than Butch Jones. He is extremely driven.
I also believe, based on several conversations, that CBJ is very serious about bringing in highly regarded assistants to replace anyone who leaves. There will almost certainly be a shared OC position with DeBord coaching the OL and a high profile QB coach. I know that there already has been an informal 3rd party conversation with Helfrich and Applewhite. I believe that both of them would be open to the CO OC idea.
Bob Shoop will be the DC at Tennessee next year. CBJ doesn't want to start over again and Shoop knows that his reputation took a bit of a hit this year. He loves living in Tennessee and he's excited about what can be done with some changes next season.
I've been doubtful about JG as a passer because I've seen him be very inconsistent in that department. Someone I trust very much has relayed to me that he has made a huge leap in the last couple of months specifically. He's really worked very hard to learn the offense and has looked very confident. He's always been an electric runner and now he's rounding into form as a passer. I love QD but if JG keeps improving, especially with a really good QB coach, he's most likely going to be the man.
I've been critical of CBJ this year and I have my doubts still. However, he is the absolute best option for Tennessee for the next couple of years. The worst thing that could happen is for him to leave voluntarily or involuntarily. There isn't anyone who is a viable, better option than Butch right now. No one knows how things will play out. Those who are comparing him to Dooley are foolish and those longing for Kiffin are deluding themselves. The proof will be in the next few weeks as to how the rest of CBJ's tenure will go here. If Bob Shoop is allowed to get coaches of his own choosing and CBJ can attract a young, high profile QB coach, I'll see that as a huge step forward in the evolution of Butch Jones."

There are no quality assistants that will come work for a coach in what is quite obviously his last year. And it's really unfortunate, because 2016 should have been lyle's last year here.

Reactions: 12 people

I believe that you will see a better close to recruiting than you might expect and a renewed sense of urgency from the top down. I know that CBJ has told people that he's already reevaluated some of the changes that he made this year and has identified what he sees as success and failure and is already working on a plan for 2017. Whatever you might think of him, no one works harder than Butch Jones. He is extremely driven.

Thank you, I needed something positive about TN & Butch to read.

Reactions: 37 people
Which has a greater chance of happening, Helfrich coming to work for Butch Jones or that Zimbabwe Prince putting $250k in my bank account after I gave him my account number via a very convincing email?

Reactions: 24 people
Hopefully he will see that his deflecting and lack of "owning it" in press conferences is a failure for this year.

Reactions: 6 people
I appreciate you posting that 91. He's probably right about giving Butch a chance to succeed being the best option, especially as big names start coming off the board at other schools. We'd (most likely) be gambling on an asst or another mid major coach. If we were to make a move, we need a sure thing. I've been as pissed as anyone but truth is truth.

I love the idea of letting Shoop evaluate and replace (if necessary) position coaches. But on the flip side, Martinez better not be here or I'll lose whatever faith I have left. No excuses whatsoever for that DB play.

Getting Helfrich or Applewhite would be amazing. I'd be all in on that. But just like Martinez, Mahoney doesn't need to be here.

Let's hope 17 is a great year. Go Vols.

Reactions: 5 people
JG will be the QB next year imo and here is why:

I was at the Vandy game saturday and with the parents waiting for their kids to get off the bus. Butch shook a few hands and high fived a few BUT he hugged JG parents. Now I may be reading more into it than it really was but I was standing there and saw it with my own eyes.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, but Helfrich coaching here would be huge. I would still be concerned about the defense though.

Whoever is hired for defense, Shoop will say it's who he wanted. If a QB coach is hired, of course Butch will hail him as the best QB coach in America. Nobody who is worried about their future is going to come here under the current circumstances.

Reactions: 11 people
JG will be the QB next year imo and here is why:

I was at the Vandy game saturday and with the parents waiting for their kids to get off the bus. Butch shook a few hands and high fived a few BUT he hugged JG parents. Now I may be reading more into it than it really was but I was standing there and saw it with my own eyes.

THis is also known as Stubborn Butch.... I feel like Butch makes recruiting promises and he will stick to them regardless of what actually happens on the field. (See Dobbs not being pulled in the South Carolina Game).

Reactions: 1 person

Butch is that you????? Anyways..if you think there arent better options out there, just open the check book up and see who comes..it wont be like the last time we needed a coach..

Reactions: 2 people
If jones wants to hire one those guys as co oc He will have to let them install some of their offense. Will he be willing to back off and let them run their offense?

Last edited:
"Kicked the tires at Purdue but there's no interest there from either"

Interesting way to describe it.

Reactions: 2 people
"Kicked the tires at Purdue but there's no interest there from either"

Interesting way to describe it.
And it states that other tires may be kicked, but he's staying? That's a very strange state of affairs. Sounds like someone who's trying to do a shakedown on his current employer. Probably bad timing for that sort of ploy.

Reactions: 4 people
There are no quality assistants that will come work for a coach in what is quite obviously his last year. And it's really unfortunate, because 2016 should have been lyle's last year here.

Yes, I'm sure you are well connected and many coach have told you they wouldn't come coach here.

Didn't Derek dooley get Sam pittman in 2012? And John Palermo was also a pretty good hire.

Butch and the 2017 Vols are in way better shape than the 2012 Derek dooley and the Vols

Reactions: 6 people
And it states that other tires may be kicked, but he's staying? That's a very strange state of affairs. Sounds like someone who's trying to do a shakedown on his current employer. Probably bad timing for that sort of ploy.

...well as mentioned before, evidently he asked for another extension and raise per year today...or was that more misinformation..?

VN Store

Back