Has the SEC diluted its "Brand"?

NorthDallas40

Displaced Hillbilly
So looking at the conference results this year I got to wondering has the brand been diluted. By this I mean at 14 teams is the conference now too big to provide enough blue chip players and coaches across the board. It's just a pondering but look at the number of down programs this year.

There aren't 14 "Sabans" to be had.

Players wanting to play in this conference have more options now.

Are we getting a proportionally larger number of blue chip players at 14 teams? Like 14/12ths more?

The conference beats itself up playing the conference schedule.

I'm sure there are other things to consider. But is 14 too big? Is that an issue for the conference as a whole? Does it help or hinder the overall product on the field. It's obvious that more teams is more events is more revenue etc... But that only sustains if the product warrants a premium.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 2 people
So looking at the conference results this year I got to wondering has the brand been diluted. By this I mean at 14 teams is the conference now too big to provide enough blue chip players and coaches across the board. It's just a pondering but look at the number of down programs this year.

Are we getting a proportionally larger number of blue chip players at 14 teams? Like 14/12ths more?

I'm sure there are other things to consider. But is 14 too big? Is that an issue for the conference as a whole? Does it help or hinder the overall product on the field. It's obvious that more teams is more events is more revenue etc... But that only sustains if the product warrants a premium.

Thoughts?

Great post. Never thought of it like that. I have tried to explain this on here but the ESPN money has every school the nice weight room and football facility. Kids have alot more options that's for sure.

Reactions: 1 person

Thoughts?

Good post. Watching the Wisconsin freshman RB Shaw from Birmingham, AL, and wondering how he got out of the SEC.

Reactions: 3 people
It was a down year. I'm surprised honestly that this hasn't happened before. The margin for error in this conference is razor thin.. You have to tip toe through landmines every week.

It's a one team conference right now. Unfortunately.
That's another reason why it's down. Doesn't do much for the perception of being the best conference when you have one team that's clearly much better than everyone else. Maybe they mop the floor with the two teams they play in the playoff. Their defense is the best i've seen in a long time.

It's a one team conference right now. Unfortunately.

That's actually one of the things that got me wondering.

Does 14 vs 12 teams widen, maintain, or close the gap between the "haves" and "haves not"? Does it just not matter?

There are a finite number of 4 and 5 star players. Most all that want to play in the SEC are going to and have always chose Bama over Vandy for example. But now Vandy etc... also has to compete with aTm and Mizzou. Do the extra schools really open enough more recruiting territory? That was the reasoning I remember hearing. But if the SEC is dominant is recruiting territory really an issue? Hell we are already sitting pretty strong there. Did we really open TX much more by adding aTm?

I am in the minority here, but Alabama is not the problem.

No one has their house in order right now and that's not Bama's fault.

A lot of teams have to fix themselves and then if they get beat by Bama, they can still run out and claim they are quality team.

Reactions: 6 people

A lot of teams have to fix themselves and then if they get beat by Bama, they can still run out and claim they are quality team.

So you view the current state as an individual institutional issue and don't see any merit in a resource supply issue?

Listen I honestly have no idea. This just popped in my head recently and I figured I'd put it out for discussion

It's been diluted by the rabid fan bases becoming too impatient and unrealistic. There are a minimum of 7 schools (Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, TN, FLA, and GA) that EXPECT to win at least 10 games every year and be in the SEC championship every year. When that doesn't happen, coaches are fired and rebuilding begins. Even the middle of the road schools have extreme expectations. It's simple math, there are 56 SEC games every year so there's going to be a minimum of 56 losses every year. Fan bases can't accept that and constant coaching turnover hurts the quality put on the field

Reactions: 9 people
It may be just me, but I feel things for the conference as a whole started sliding when we went to 14 members. Could be coincidence, but worth consideration.

This sort of contemplation happens every season. Wait until after the bowl season and see if we still end up with the best conference results.

This sort of contemplation happens every season. Wait until after the bowl season and see if we still end up with the best conference results.

100% correct. While the SEC is down overall, the big 10 is soooo over valued its hard to believe. The bowl season is the best indicator of where each conference is. #thebigtensucks

Reactions: 5 people
It may be just me, but I feel things for the conference as a whole started sliding when we went to 14 members. Could be coincidence, but worth consideration.
Diluted it.. Texas A&M wasn't a front runner program in the big 12 and Missouri was a cellar dweller for the most part. Could have made some better choices..

I agree 100%.

Pretty much said the same thing this morning.

it sucks...but now you see why Tennessee hasn't won the east in so many years. Alabama every year is killer.

So you view the current state as an individual institutional issue and don't see any merit in a resource supply issue?

Listen I honestly have no idea. This just popped in my head recently and I figured I'd put it out for discussion

there are plenty of good players in the country, they just arent all going to SEC schools. SEC schools get 10s of millions of dollars per year. they arent hurting in resources nor are resources scarce.

I think the CFB playoffs are somewhat to blame for what seems to be the fall of the SEC.
For the last two years there seems to be more of an attraction for recruits to play for a top tier team in the other power 5 conferences, since, even if you lose your only tough game there is a good chance you make it in the playoffs. On the other hand, the SEC schedule is brutal, players are more prone to injury, and it is ever more difficult to go without losing at least two games.

Alot of teams had quite a few injuries and to star players -- that made up part of the down season

I disagree it is Bama's fault. Look at the coaching carousel the fast few years. Look at the turnover and the lack of time coaches are given or getting fired after just winning 9 or 10 games?

Every fan base wants to be like Bama and it's just not going to happen... Not now not ever,

it sucks...but now you see why Tennessee hasn't won the east in so many years. Alabama every year is killer.

Tennessee hasnt won the east because in recent years they couldnt beat anybody, let alone alabama....which is the kind of thing im talking about.

The last two seasons, they contended. One year, they lost to florida and that was the bigger problem. This year, they lost 2 games you simply cant lose.

I disagree it is Bama's fault. Look at the coaching carousel the fast few years. Look at the turnover and the lack of time coaches are given or getting fired after just winning 9 or 10 games?

Every fan base wants to be like Bama and it's just not going to happen... Not now not ever,

Again, i disagree.

Thats not why Tennessee fired Dooley. Dooley could barely get to a bowl. It's not why Florida fired Muschamp. Pinkel retired. Franklin took a better job. Petrino had a motorcycle incident (ha ha) at Arkansas. It's not why Chizik was fired.

The only guys you can make that argument about are Richt and Miles.

There are not too many SEC fan bases upset right now that they cant get over the hump and beat Alabama. They are upset because their school doesnt play good football. Florida fans, as an example, are pissed they havent been able to move the football consistently since Tebow left. Has nothing to do with Alabama.

Last edited:
Again, i disagree.

Thats not why Tennessee fired Dooley. Dooley could barely get to a bowl. It's not why Florida fired Muschamp. Pinkel retired. Franklin took a better job. Petrino had a motorcycle incident (ha ha) at Arkansas. It's not why Chizik was fired.

The only guys you can make that argument about are Richt and Miles.

There are not too many SEC fan bases upset right now that they cant get over the hump and beat Alabama. They are upset because their school doesnt play good football. Florida fans, as an example, are pissed they havent been able to move the football consistently since Tebow left. Has nothing to do with Alabama.

Great discussion...Agree and disagree. Agree from standpoint that Bama has its choice of 4/5 star recruits, which leaves less for the rest of SEC traditional powers to balance the power. Plus, all teams are upgrading facilities, and can sell they are on TV for their Moms and Dads to see every week.

Additionally, as Big 10, for example gets better, they will keep more recruits in their base. Just as an example...I live in NJ (displaced Vol), and though Rutgers is at bottom, they are upgrading their facilities, now play Big 10, and getting Big 10 cable money. NJ has some good HS talent, and you watch over next few years they will start getting better, and keeping talent, which most of time, leaves the state...JG, for example. I just think we have to wrap our minds around hopefully being mildly successful, in that 8-10 win threshold, until we can get that lightning rod player... If JG, for example, turns out to be our version of Deshawn Watson, and our D takes a turn to normalcy, I think we have a shot at raising the bar.

I do think, over a period of time, consistency in coaching staff wins out, as long as we're competing and are in the mix. Am very disappointed with season, but Butch has done many good things, even though challenges. It's not the same college football world as 1990's...If we keep pushing the 8-10 win threshold, then we can point to consistency, and will start pulling more true differentiating players. Only caveat to this, is when coach as run the cycle, the situation is poisoned, and it's just time for a change...Miles, CMR, Fulmer, etc.

It was a down year. I'm surprised honestly that this hasn't happened before. The margin for error in this conference is razor thin.. You have to tip toe through landmines every week.

I disagree, where all the 8-4 records would leave us to believe that the SEC is down, it is NOT. TN, GA, FL, LSU, AU only have the records they have BECAUSE, Vandy, ARK, UK, AND USC are playing ABOVE their traditional roles in certain games! The proof will be in the bowl games. Most of the bowl games won't be close! I see a SEC SWEEP COMMING!

don't believe 14 is too many...fans still buying tickets...facilities across the SEC are being upgraded...ESPN still has a contract with the SEC so apparently SEC football is still relevant...and always will be...everybody can't go to Alabama...other teams in the SEC will continue to get their share of the best in the nation...and the beat goes on...:thumbsup:

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back