WOW...Holly Fighting Back Tears At Post Game Presser

hokievol12

I actually felt sorry for her! I sense that her "I don't know" is genuine at this point...she seems to be nearing a breaking point. As she said, I truly believe she loves this team. That doesn't change my opinion that a change must be made to salvage Lady Vol Basketball! Tough decisions are ahead for the powers that be...

Reactions: 4 people
I actually felt sorry for her! I sense that her "I don't know" is genuine at this point...she seems to be nearing a breaking point. As she said, I truly believe she loves this team. That doesn't change my opinion that a change must be made to salvage Lady Vol Basketball! Tough decisions are ahead for the powers that be...

Yeah, she looked very, very upset and disappointed.

"We really prepared really hard against Baylor and it didn't show."

there's no crying in girls' basketball...except here...poor Holly...is lost...feel sorry for her...:cray:

GO LADY VOLS!

"They outworked us. They have more talent. They played harder. They have more heart. They're a team that's on a mission. They're focused. Obviously, we didn't have an answer for them today."

(On Tennessee's performance in the first five minutes)
"Well, we weren't very good if we're down 11-0. We didn't perform very good. We missed easy shots. We missed layups. We were taking bad shots and when you do those kind of things you get down. If you're not working to get better shots, you're going to be down. They took great shots. They didn't take bad shots. That just set the tone for the rest of the game."

(On the heart and effort of Tennessee today)
"It wasn't very hard to determine that. You would think that we would be a lot more focused. We had a week to get ready for this game and it looked like we played last night and we didn't have a clue what Baylor was going to do. Our goal was to not give them second-chance points, they had 24 rebounds, and limit our turnovers, we had 15. A great team has 24 offensive rebounds, 22 assists, eight turnovers and six steals. You're going to win a lot of games like that. We've got players that are underachieving. We're just underachieving and we're not playing as hard. Honestly, I don't have an answer. They looked a lot better prepared than the Lady Vols."

(On mentally regrouping this team)
"The great thing about basketball is you've only got a little bit of staying in the moment. Now, we've got to focus in on the next game. So, that's what we talk about. I don't know if it's so much about the next game as about us. We really prepared hard for Baylor and it didn't show. We've really got to focus in on us and not worry about our next opponent, meaning, we've got to take care of some things with our program and with our kids. It's part of the game. That's just part of the game. You get to refocus and you get to step up and get your next challenge and see how they step up. That's the one thing great about basketball: it's not a do-or-die game. This was a game about pride. I'm just extremely disappointed. I just didn't think we competed and I'm all about competing and playing hard. We didn't have those aspects in our game today."

(On the opening minutes)
"I'll have to go back and look. When you miss a layup, generally you're not focused. I can't get inside these kids' heads. I wish I could. I'd plant a couple seeds that say, `Do not turn over the ball and box out.' I don't know. I just have to watch the tape and see what they were doing to us to make us miss. We were missing free throws early. We just missed a lot of easy shot around the basket. Mercedes Russell played 35 minutes. She and Jaime Nared played hard. She demanded the basketball. If you look at who Mercedes was guarding, not too many of those kids scored. It was a lot of perimeter people letting the guards get inside the paint. I think Mercedes and Jaime were outstanding tonight."

(On Meme Jackson remaining in the starting line-up)
"I only know of two people who are going to be in the starting line-up, and that's Jamie Nared and Mercedes Russell. And from there, I don't know, to be honest with you. I know my choices are limited, but I think that'll be determined this week in practice."

(On Mercedes Russell)
"Well Mercedes I think she's healthy. When she got here as a freshman, everybody tended to be disappointed. Her feet were absolutely horrible. But bottom line, she got healthy, she got stronger, she got committed, she was committed to the game, but she worked on her game. She worked on her game this summer. So you're seeing the result of her just making a commitment to getting better. And that's what a kid has got to do. She's a great example for a young kids to follow. Because it's not about how many games you play in the summer. It's about what you're going to do with your game and how you're going to elevate it. Mercedes Russell has elevated her game. She's one of the most intelligent kids I know, who knows the game. She could be a great point guard if she wasn't 6'6". She's smart; she sees things happen, she sees the whole floor. I'm just really proud of her. She competed, she didn't back down. She's awesome. She's, I think, one of the best post players in the country and that's why we're going to continue to give her the basketball."

(On the cause of players underachieving)
"If I knew, I probably wouldn't be coaching. I'd be making a whole heck of a lot more money being some kind of psychologist working with sports teams. I don't know. But I'm going to try to put my finger on it because we're just underachieving. Maybe I think we're more talented than we are. Talented or not, you have to play hard. It has nothing to do with talent. It's respecting the game and right now, we are not respecting the game. It's not about Lady Vol basketball; it's about the game. This game is meant to be played as hard as you can. You have to be mentally tough and you have to compete. If you don't do that, then you're going to get beat by whatever we got beat by, thirty, twenty, whatever we got beat by. You can't just turn it on, that's not how it works. You have to respect this game. I should know. I was not even close to being as talented as these kids here. It's about heart. It's about thinking that you're better than you are. So these kids have to pick up my personality. They have to go down swinging. They have to carry a big stick, we're carrying a little twig right now and it isn't working. So talented? No, right now, we're not talented. Playing with a lot of heart? Right now, we're not playing with a lot of heart. We're getting out-worked, we're getting out-muscled and it's up to me to try to do something about it. I'm going to continue to work. I'm not going to give up on this team, I love this team. I'm just obviously disappointed in how they played. But we'll go back to work. It's a new day; the sun's going to come up. We're going to be off. I get to watch the team five or six times and continue to get madder and madder. But it's up to me to figure out how we're going to get this ship headed in the right direction. I promise you, I will figure it out. I'm not giving up on them, just have to go in at a little different direction."

Tennessee Center Mercedes Russell

(On if she was happy with her performance)
"Defensively, I did pretty good. I held their posts players to 1-for-9 and 3-for-12, so I thought my defense was pretty good. It doesn't just come down to me. If we all are not on the same page on defense, then it's going to end up being a bad possession."

(On the biggest team improvements needed)
"Definitely both ends of the floor, if we aren't getting stops on defense and going down and taking bad shots on offense, it's not going to add up. It's really going to need to start on the defensive end with getting stops. On offense, we have to play smarter and take better shots."

Tennessee Forward Jaime Nared

(On the loss)
"This game had to do with heart and effort, and I think those were the two categories that we were lacking. There were times when it felt like Mercedes was giving effort, but the other four weren't. We can't do that against a team like Baylor, who plays together and so hard for 40 minutes."

(On the slow start)
"We started out flat. We gave up offensive boards. We weren't talking or playing together. It showed because we didn't score for the first 10 possessions. We definitely need to get in the gym because we weren't making shots and easy baskets."

Jamie and Mercedes lead this team at least she has two players that get it, we just need three more.

Holly u got your work cut off for ya, Mercedes and Jamie, don't tolerate it, anymore. If players are not playing hard, tell the coaches to take them out. You have earned that right.

Jamie and Mercedes lead this team at least she has two players that get it, we just need three more.

Holly u got your work cut off for ya, Mercedes and Jamie, don't tolerate it, anymore. If players are not playing hard, tell the coaches to take them out. You have earned that right.

The problem with this sentiment, although I agree with the spirit of it, is that Tennessee has almost no bench to fall back on if they "take them out." With only 8 players, they have no room and very little substitution capacity. That's not anything Holly can "coach" past. They can do a better job recruiting, to be sure, but it gets a lot, _lot_ harder to bench players when you don't have a replacement who can play their position.

Reactions: 1 person
Holly essentially threw the team under the bus, and no accountability as a coach. She says "I don't know" more than an inarticulate person says "Ummm".

She's way in over her head. Teach them to play, and maybe then they wont undetachieve.

Reactions: 9 people
It's nice to feel sorry for Holly. Empathy is a great human trait.

A human being is either crying or not. Did you see any tears cascading from her eyes? If not than she did not cry. It's a ploy to garner sympathy.

For a coach to appear so distraught and have no clue on what is going on with her/his team is not a leader. Well a weak leader that is bound to be unsuccessful.

Go ahead and get your cry on Holly. Lady Vol Nation is crying with you.

Reactions: 2 people
The problem with this sentiment, although I agree with the spirit of it, is that Tennessee has almost no bench to fall back on if they "take them out." With only 8 players, they have no room and very little substitution capacity. That's not anything Holly can "coach" past. They can do a better job recruiting, to be sure, but it gets a lot, _lot_ harder to bench players when you don't have a replacement who can play their position.

Nice Post.

I agree, Yeah, that's why I say she has her work cut off for her, especially with limited numbers, but a veteran team, that part I don't understand, these are seniors and juniors.

She has to find three more players to go with Mercedes and Nared. Goodluck Holly.

Last edited:

Leadership start from the players too, its a lot more when your teammates are calling you out, it jus does.

And Nared called out the whole team. lol I love it. Oh, there would be a fist fight, toughen up! lol

No effort is not an option, Jamie and Mercedes, now you ladies play have to step up another notch, keep getting better ladies.

Cedes, defense solid, free throws wassup.

Nared, get to the paint more when Mercedes is in position to rebound.

Last edited:
holly needs to go ape **** crazy on those girls, imho

midnight runs, 4 am runs, 90 minutes of hell practices.

There has to be consequences for bad play, not tears!

That is the trouble with 10 player or less rosters. you don't have to earn playing time.... :(

Diamond couldn't say **** to me and Reynolds couldn't say **** to me. Yo effort and play that's the only thing I want to hear, demand it Russell and Nared.

Start callin em out more Russell, Nared and coaches, more, all the time, any time there is a drop in play or effort or focus, yo ladies have earned that right.

Warlick, for the good of the program, should resign--right now. Let an assistant take over for the rest of the year and go find a great young dynamic coach. SERIOUSLY. The buck stops with the coach. It always stops with the coach. She should resign, an assistant should take over, bench Reynolds and Deshields, play walk-ons if you have to--and find a great youngish coach.

Reactions: 7 people
Holly:

This game is meant to be played as hard as you can. You have to be mentally tough and you have to compete. If you don't do that, then you're going to get beat by whatever we got beat by, thirty, twenty, whatever we got beat by. You can't just turn it on, that's not how it works. You have to respect this game. I should know. I was not even close to being as talented as these kids here. It's about heart. It's about thinking that you're better than you are. So these kids have to pick up my personality.

They have to go down swinging. They have to carry a big stick, we're carrying a little twig right now and it isn't working. So talented? No, right now, we're not talented. Playing with a lot of heart? Right now, we're not playing with a lot of heart. We're getting out-worked, we're getting out-muscled and it's up to me to try to do something about it. I'm going to continue to work. I'm not going to give up on this team, I love this team. I'm just obviously disappointed in how they played. But we'll go back to work. It's a new day; the sun's going to come up. We're going to be off. I get to watch the team five or six times and continue to get madder and madder. But it's up to me to figure out how we're going to get this ship headed in the right direction. I promise you, I will figure it out. I'm not giving up on them, just have to go in at a little different direction."

Leadership start from the players too, its a lot more when your teammates are calling you out, it jus does.

And Nared called out the whole team. lol I love it. Oh, there would be a fist fight, toughen up! lol

like a halfway educated person, would you? I'm tired of reading your street prose. I'm guessing you didn't make A's in English. I'm guessing you didn't make C's in English.

Reactions: 4 people

I've felt sorry for her for a while now -- sorry she has to bear the weight of Pat's legacy and also Pat's expectations. I'm not defending the team's performances, or saying I think she's the right coach, either, but just ... I think a lot of Vol fans were very bought in emotionally because Pat's success was shared with all of us. She was Tennessee, and we were all in her corner, and no one could ever replace her. But someone had to, and Holly took it on. It's possible to be fair about the performances, be critical of failures and supportive of successes, without making claims about what she does or does not do as a coach. But when we lose we have to do or say something cathartic to get past it so ... yep.

Again. Not saying I think she's going to win us a championship. Not trying to pick a fight. I'm just saying I think we take a lot of shots at her, sometimes without knowing anything about what they're doing inside the program.

Opposite side of the coin though, it's very very much what a men's program would be like. And I think the Lady Vols still have some of that aura about them. Win big, and keep winning, or else. So. That's an interesting thought in the midst of all this.

Reactions: 3 people
I've felt sorry for her for a while now -- sorry she has to bear the weight of Pat's legacy and also Pat's expectations. I'm not defending the team's performances, or saying I think she's the right coach, either, but just ... I think a lot of Vol fans were very bought in emotionally because Pat's success was shared with all of us. She was Tennessee, and we were all in her corner, and no one could ever replace her. But someone had to, and Holly took it on. It's possible to be fair about the performances, be critical of failures and supportive of successes, without making claims about what she does or does not do as a coach. But when we lose we have to do or say something cathartic to get past it so ... yep.

Again. Not saying I think she's going to win us a championship. Not trying to pick a fight. I'm just saying I think we take a lot of shots at her, sometimes without knowing anything about what they're doing inside the program.

Opposite side of the coin though, it's very very much what a men's program would be like. And I think the Lady Vols still have some of that aura about them. Win big, and keep winning, or else. So. That's an interesting thought in the midst of all this.

Holly had big shoes to fill, and she gamely tried for 4 years. She's had the opportunity to show that she was the right choice to lead this team. It's clear that she's not.

Whatever she is doing inside the program is not working, and even with a short roster, this is still a team that most coaches would die for. You think Miss State has better talent? Or Kentucky, who lost half of their team in a sh!tstorm, but still took Louisville to OT on the road? All this feeling sorry for herself/the team is doing her no good. She needs to lead them, and she's failing in that regard.

Reactions: 5 people

Nice post!

Let coach Law finish out the season & watch how different the team will play

Holly "(On the cause of players underachieving)
"If I knew, I probably wouldn't be coaching. I'd be making a whole heck of a lot more money being..."

Making more money than you're worth coaching (ruining) the Lady Vol basketball program.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back