Caleb Calhoun calls out Holly Warlick

No. He just knows basketball like some of us on here. Knowing basketball and watching Holly coach a basketball teams leads to articles like this one.

They need to bring this to an end and hire a strong coach. The commits for the next class will probably go for it. If not, the new person can bring who they want and it will be better for the program.

Reactions: 13 people
I like. I know Tea injury has hurt this team badly with no true point and depth. Depth though is what happens when you leave entire Freshman class empty until last minute you sign a girl who cant play at this level. 3 AA from the state of Tn. None in a lady vol uniform. I know wait until next year.

Reactions: 2 people
Where was Caleb Calhoun when Holly Warlick was hired WITHOUT so much as a coaching search? I'll take a stab at it ... groveling at her kneecaps like all the rest.

I have no respect for journalistic cowards who do little more than pile on when someone is weakened. Anybody can get keyboard muscles when the team is collapsing and Auburn runs you outta the gym by almost 20! Where was the depth of your wisdom, Caleb, when everyone was fawning over our successor?

Reactions: 4 people
i think he gave a bit too much praise to Diamond, and also to Mercedes .... who he says is finally turning into a "superstar" .... "superstar" and "Mercedes" are two terms I had not thought of in tandem... I still wish she would play more inspired ball.... i see slow feet especially on defense.... Ole Miss and Auburn players should be scared to drive against her.... for fear of defense... often they went right by her

Reactions: 3 people
He said nothing about the notre dame win and we are getting tired. The style we play does not fit with only 5 players. Also I think we go 21-9 11-5 in sec which is eh but better than last year and a sign we moving in right direction. I think against Vanderbilt the bench needs to play most of minutes and I would rest diamond Jamie and Jordan the would play maybe 22mims cedes needs to play 22 nunn needs other minutes and we need the next two days off I would treat shoot around as Mimi practice. We have to rest as much as possible

We were tired so we stop playing we go from an emotional win from down 15 to playing against a press for 40 with 4 players logging 36 minutes a game we were tired

Where was Caleb Calhoun when Holly Warlick was hired WITHOUT so much as a coaching search? I'll take a stab at it ... groveling at her kneecaps like all the rest.

I have no respect for journalistic cowards who do little more than pile on when someone is weakened. Anybody can get keyboard muscles when the team is collapsing and Auburn runs you outta the gym by almost 20! Where was the depth of your wisdom, Caleb, when everyone was fawning over our successor?

Holly is the one who is piling on! If she knew how to coach articles like Caleb's would not be written. You're just butt hurt because Holly is being called out by the media. You refuse to accept nor even acknowledge that a once proud program is in dire straits and it is all because of Holly Warlick!:eek:hmy:

Reactions: 7 people
This!
"Look no further than what happened with Mercedes Russell. She shot nearly 80 percent from the field. 80 PERCENT! But she only had 14 shots. The numbers should’ve been larger because she should’ve gotten the ball every time the Vols beat Auburn’s press. However, when they did that, they would slow it down and try to score out of their half-court sets, giving Auburn time to get back. Either Warlick is the worst coach in world history at teaching a team how to beat a press, or this team is far too tired to be able to run at that tempo."

My take? Holly is the worst coach in the world history at teaching a team how to beat a press.

He fails to mention Jaime Nared, a player that could arguably be the best, most consistent player so far this season. Holly is in way over her head...this will get uglier...and uglier...and uglier...until one day...someone will have the guts to suggest she resign or retire...who happens to be in a position to make that happen!

It would be pretty weird to write a hit piece on someone who had just been hired to do a job. You have to have a body of work to criticize.

i think he gave a bit too much praise to Diamond, and also to Mercedes .... who he says is finally turning into a "superstar" .... "superstar" and "Mercedes" are two terms I had not thought of in tandem... I still wish she would play more inspired ball.... i see slow feet especially on defense.... Ole Miss and Auburn players should be scared to drive against her.... for fear of defense... often they went right by her

My main issue with Russell is that she holds the ball too long. Once she's double or triple teamed after receiving the entry pass, the ball gets stuck in her hands and she doesn't have the vision to spot open players on the wing.

I would really like that to be addressed in film sessions, as well as why our players never cut to the basket once Russell is bottled up.

Things that make ya go hmmmm?

if he can't hire and fire...don't care what talking heads say...:)

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!

That's what we all are praying for. When that finally happens and I mean for her to GO, then we can get a real coach, and this team and next year's team could be special.

Reactions: 1 person
It would be pretty weird to write a hit piece on someone who had just been hired to do a job. You have to have a body of work to criticize.

The body of work is at the Captain Obvious level. Half the posters on VN can write this stuff ... NOW. My point is that if this guy is to have any value, then tell us something we don't know.

All the signs were there for this when our new coach was announced. Where was our investigative reporter when it was a hug party?

Onced was a big Lady Vol fan.....Have not watched in 3 years now. Tennessee is no longer even a factor in womens basketball....just simply my opinion.

Looks like a pretty fair and accurate critique of Holly's coaching, as well as her lack of coaching.
I'd like to see what his analysis of Rick Barnes' coaching acumen would look like.

He is right when a team decides to press you and you have slow guards everyone has to help get the ball over half court. You don't have a chance to score if you turn it over or fail to get a shot up. I felt sorry for Reynolds she was getting trapped and the other four players only wanted to watch and not offer her options to pass. When you get trapped you can very seldom get out of it on the dribble you are usually forced to pick up the dribble and pass the ball. She didn't have anyone to pass to and this resulted in three or four turnovers which were not all her fault.
We used the wrong tempo in the game. We were the bigger team we could have taken our time worked the ball inside or taken the smaller guards off the dribble and scored a lot of points. We were rushing against a smaller team you should only do that against a larger or taller team.

Hopefully the new AD will have a big enough set to show Warlick the door. The longer you let this go on the harder it's going to be to climb out of the hole she's dug. All I've seen her do the time she's been coach is stand on the sidelines with her hands on her hips, spout the same 'I don't know' at the press conferences and who the hell knows what she does the rest of the time? She's a sorry excuse for a coach and that's not going to change. It's a shame that she's been allowed to do what she has done to this program. Hopefully that won't be the case much longer and they'll actually hire a coach that knows what they are doing.

While I agree with some of what Mr. Calhoun has said, I disagree with his high praise for MR. She definitely has improved, markedly, over a year ago. However, she is far from being elite. How much of that is due to coaching vs personality I can't say. Maybe she is being told to play as she is.

While I agree with some of what Mr. Calhoun has said, I disagree with his high praise for MR. She definitely has improved, markedly, over a year ago. However, she is far from being elite. How much of that is due to coaching vs personality I can't say. Maybe she is being told to play as she is.

Her offense is far better than her defense. She should be blocking all those guards shots that take it to the basket.

The body of work is at the Captain Obvious level. Half the posters on VN can write this stuff ... NOW. My point is that if this guy is to have any value, then tell us something we don't know.

It’s highly unlikely that Holly reads any of the opinions posted on this forum. Even if she is aware of the criticism leveled at her on VolNation, it’s unlikely that she pays any heed to it. That’s why it’s important for articles like this one to appear in the mainstream media where the general public is exposed to what both the pundits and the majority of fans think of her level of coaching. Only when she is called out publicly for her foibles will the wheels of regime change be set in motion. That makes his article worthwhile. The once-proud Lady Vols have lost their luster on the basketball stage and Holly has made it abundantly clear that she is not the one to restore it.

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back