Steve Kiner's thoughts on AD, Butch

Anyone know Kiner's experience running an AD? Didn't see it in the article (strange huh?)

Reactions: 8 people
Anyone know Kiner's experience running an AD? Didn't see it in the article (strange huh?)

He tackled people good 40 years ago. Therefore hos opinion is truth.

I wish people could have heard Dale Jones dog cuss Fulmer the way I heard. I guess that would carry as much weight.

Reactions: 4 people
ohhh boy....relatively positive comments on CPF and CBJ by a HoF, VFL...this will be interesting

edit: ahem...too late...it's already started

Reactions: 7 people
Coach Fulmer would do all right. But I think Blackburn would do better over the long run.
Think he has many more years to offer than Coach Phil does. But if it could work, Coach Phil for football and all sports recruiting could be beyond great. Why, because if you ever hear him "go on about UT" it's hard to not be impressed and want be a part of his "second home".

Reactions: 5 people
Kiner was a helluva player. Really enjoyed watching him play. One of my all-time favorites.

Reactions: 11 people

I think he is in a position to have a better insight than most of us on Vol Nation. Maybe just a little biased you think? However, his experience with the man and football over years gives him the right to be listened to as a person with reasonable inside knowledge.

Reactions: 6 people
You mean the guy that got so obsessed with taking down Bama that he let his own program run into the ditch.

Makes sense.

I'm just going to keep posting this article until everyone stops throwing the bammer's BS story onto Phil.

Judge's book goes behind the scenes of Cottrell case | AL.com

"While Cottrell attorney Tommy Gallion painted University of Tennessee boosters and former Vols coach Phillip Fulmer as grand conspirators in a plan to take down Alabama, Wilson notes that it was another SEC rival that alerted the NCAA about Means' recruitment."

FWIW, Wilson is a Bama alum.

Reactions: 16 people

I have no idea how Fulmer would do as AD, but neither does anyone else. I would say Blackburn probably has the better administration pedigree. As far as Kiner's opinion, it's not surprising that he would adamantly support his friend/teammate.

I thought the article was interesting because of the comments regarding Butch more so than the AD.

There's a difference in knowing football and running a $100mil+ organization.

Really - you thought I didn't know that? You guys act like being an AD is rocket science or something? Being a good AD is all about people skills. You have to develop relationships with the boosters to solicit donations and you have to develop relationships with the coaches / potential coaches in order to hire the best folks possible. Anyone who doesn't think CPF is strong on developing relationships is either misinformed or foolish.

Look at the great AD work done by the past couple of non-UT guys. CPF is 100% VOL and will do everything he can for UT athletics. He has class and knows the people / system. Being a $100+ million operation, no doubt CPF will hire quality accounting / CFO types for those business needs. If you're the head of a $100 million company then you're about a high level vision and leadership. CPF has clearly demonstrated both of those throughout his career.

Flame away Jack Wagons.

Reactions: 10 people
I think we could hire Fulmer and be just fine. However, Blackburn appears to be the more qualified candidate. Finding a way to bring both to the AD in some capacity would be a win-win, IMO. As for Butch, Kiner talked a lot about player development. That's been one of my biggest concerns with the CBJ regime up to this point and something that will have to improve if the Vols are going to take the next step.

Reactions: 2 people
Now I'm not on the fire Butch band wagon (yet), but if you are a hot shot head coach being recruited to fill a void at UT, would it matter to you who the AD is? If so, would working for a football guy like Fulmer help bring you aboard?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not all that convinced that an AD job requires a genius, and if it does, a reasonably smart guy can hire some of those egg heads to help.

Reactions: 1 person
Kiner's opinion is utterly meaningless. Less than meaningless actually....as he's buddies with fulmer. So fulmer can fundraise? That's how we got Hamilton.

And someone mention to Kiner fulmer was fired because he was routinely getting his head kicked in by every coach coming into the league - for god's sake he couldnt beat tommy tubberville. Not sure why we have to relitigate this time and again.

To show I'm fair, however, I do think his points on butch are valid. But ignore the fulmer for AD stuff.

Reactions: 2 people
Kiner's opinion is utterly meaningless. Less than meaningless actually....as he's buddies with fulmer. So fulmer can fundraise? That's how we got Hamilton.

And someone mention to Kiner fulmer was fired because he was routinely getting his head kicked in by every coach coming into the league - for god's sake he couldnt beat tommy tubberville. Not sure why we have to relitigate this time and again.

To show I'm fair, however, I do think his points on butch are valid. But ignore the fulmer for AD stuff.

Keeping with your logic your points are also meaningless since you obviously have a dislike for Fulmer.

Reactions: 6 people
They should just hire you, because you think you know everything on volnation.

Very clever and I would take the job. Do you disagree with my post or are you simply here to entertain everyone with your witty remarks?

I have an opinion about things having to do with UT. Pretty sure that's the point of VN.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back