The Byrd Decision - Offense or Defense?

Vfl2407

Has anyone heard if he will definitely stay on offense?
I think the common wisdom is that Malones departure means he can't move to defense.
But, I still wonder if the new secondary coach and Coach Shoop will try to lobby CBJ to give Byrd a DB tryout in the Spring.
Is there any remote chance that he could play both ways, maybe 75% of his snaps on offense and 25% on defense or vice versa?

Talk about an "embarrassment of riches" for Byrd! Having him switch between the two could really be a nightmare for opposing teams, eh?

I don't care if it's Shoop or Scott, or both. Just shoot the Byrd to Bama and Florida.

could be a total luxury to have a guy like this. of course that depends on a couple of things....can we develop Callaway and another WR to pick up slack, can we develop corners/nickel backs?

yes to either or both, and you can do whatever you want with Byrd, and he can become a real difference maker wherever you want to line him up. not that he is, but he could be utlized like J. Peppers was, or Percy Harvin.

no to either or both, and then you're having to shuffle personnel, possibly, simply based on need (especially if we move him to defense simply for need). we have to get away from that at some point if we really want to be able to take advantage of guys like this and utilize them in a way that can give us a match up advantage, instead of just trying to keep up with the Joneses, no pun intended.

Reactions: 1 person
In my opinion they should have tried him out on Defense from the get go to see if he could be a lock down corner. I still feel like that's where he should be utilized, but I'm not at practice so who knows.

Reactions: 3 people
i have zero issue with where they put him coming in. there, at the beginning of last year, anyway, we had serious ?'s at WR, and for the offense to take a next step, the passing game was going to have to improve and be more dynamic.

and defensively, again at the beginning, we had plenty of experience returning in the def backfield.

by the time it was painfully obvious that we were in need on defense, putting byrd back there would have been like putting a band aid on a broken leg.

which is why i still say Byrd is a type of player that you want to be able to use whereever, whenever you want. having to move him simply because you have to, is a place we have to get away from.

so i think it's imperative that we give ourselves options at WR and DB headed in to this season, so we can take advantage of what a guy like he can offer, no matter where you line him up. he has the potential to be a Dale Carter type. but he'll never be that if we HAVE to use him as a WR or we HAVE to use him as a DB.

i have zero issue with where they put him coming in. there, at the beginning of last year, anyway, we had serious ?'s at WR, and for the offense to take a next step, the passing game was going to have to improve and be more dynamic.

and defensively, again at the beginning, we had plenty of experience returning in the def backfield.

by the time it was painfully obvious that we were in need on defense, putting byrd back there would have been like putting a band aid on a broken leg.

which is why i still say Byrd is a type of player that you want to be able to use whereever, whenever you want. having to move him simply because you have to, is a place we have to get away from.

so i think it's imperative that we give ourselves options at WR and DB headed in to this season, so we can take advantage of what a guy like he can offer, no matter where you line him up. he has the potential to be a Dale Carter type. but he'll never be that if we HAVE to use him as a WR or we HAVE to use him as a DB.

So, are you hoping he will play 50-50% each?

So, are you hoping he will play 50-50% each?

don't know what the % could or should be, i just believe that if we have to choose a side of the ball and stick him over there, then it's because we don't have any other answers for that position, and that's not good.

Defense is where he is needed mostly. Jennings as well. The secondary is horrid and they add all conference potential talent immediately to the secondary. Switch them this Spring and they will be ready to rock and roll

don't know what the % could or should be, i just believe that if we have to choose a side of the ball and stick him over there, then it's because we don't have any other answers for that position, and that's not good.

....and that's pretty much the issue....

Defense is where he is needed mostly. Jennings as well. The secondary is horrid and they add all conference potential talent immediately to the secondary. Switch them this Spring and they will be ready to rock and roll

you do that, and our most experienced WR is Josh Smith with a brand new QB.

that's not happening, and if it does, then it says a whole lot more about how pathetic our def backfield is than anything else.

....and that's pretty much the issue....

well, it could be. that's why i think this off season is very important for the DB's in particular. new coach, a couple new faces, but there is experience returning.

we really need the DB's to step up.

because, let's face it, offensively, we're going to have new tackles on the O line, a new QB, new RB's, and we only have 3 WR's coming back with any significant pt...Byrd, Jennings and Smith. and Smith is coming off injury.

you take Jennings and Byrd out, it could get dicey pretty quick at WR.

CZA and the new DB coach have their work cut out this off season.

Can't see them moving him with Malone leaving and questions on what happens with Jennings.

There are no questions on Jennings...unless the worrywarts manufacture them. And Byrd isn't indispensable on offense. Put him wherever his gifts best serve IMO.

I would argue that he is going to be our TOP playmaker on offense next year, so he needs to stay put.

If you're talking Jennings? I agree. Byrd is a potentially great WR but possible prototype corner IMO.

VN Store

Back