How important is an AD anyway?

secking

Answer? The true decision on having an average, good, or great athletic department. Yes, the admin overall has to 'buy in' but a great AD knows how to work the channels (Admin,Alum/Boosters,Staff) to get what they need. A great AD can also persuade the best coaches to come and with a good deal for the University.

Recent hires-was the right hire made?
Butch instead of Gundy, Strong, Cut, and Gruden.

Dooley instead of Sumlin, Kelly, and Cutt.
Cutt was offered the job but couldn't bring his coaches, wanted to keep some coaches instead of paying their buyout (enter DD).

I still think Cutcliffe would have won, and won big as HC. Not flashy and I understand that but Tn won at a very high level with him, dropped without him, then went back up on his 2nd trip. OM fans still miss him, he won at OM (the right way).

Good news is DB has overseen some of UTC's biggest success. Football is doing better than I can remember. It's been decades since they were good. Maintained high UTC bball teams (women and men) and kept UTC's wrestling teams with opportunities to remain a top team in the country. He "gets it".

Two hires above, who would you have picked?

Last edited:
I am completely checked out on the AD search until a hire is announced. It seems like we've been looking for Hart's replacement for years now. At this point I don't care who the hire is just PICK SOMEBODY

Reactions: 11 people
I am completely checked out on the AD search until a hire is announced. It seems like we've been looking for Hart's replacement for years now. At this point I don't care who the hire is just PICK SOMEBODY

Explains why you clicked on this thread.

Cutt was offered the job but couldn't bring his coaches, wanted to keep some coaches instead of paying their buyout (enter DD).

Good news is DB has overseen some of UTC's biggest success. Football is doing better than I can remember. It's been decades since they were good. Maintained high UTC bball teams (women and men) and kept UTC's wrestling teams with opportunities to remain a top team in the country. He "gets it".

Good old Hammy. And I'm sure the same ones involved in that decision, excluding hammy:sick:, are making the choice for AD right now.:banghead2::mf_surrender::whatever:

Reactions: 1 person

..no...

I could go into a lengthy post of my opinions on why grabbing just anyone isn't OK or why the new Chancellor wants to be involved, etc.etc.etc.

but I'll stick with ...no...

only as important as the importance he/she are given...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer? The true decision on having an average, good, or great athletic department. Yes, the admin overall has to 'buy in' but a great AD knows how to work the channels (Admin,Alum/Boosters,Staff) to get what they need. A great AD can also persuade the best coaches to come and with a good deal for the University.

I still think Cutcliffe would have won, and won big as HC. Not flashy and I understand that but Tn won at a very high level with him, dropped without him, then went back up on his 2nd trip. OM fans still miss him, he won at OM (the right way).

What is the world are you talking about? Do you actually think that the University did not try to hire “big named” coaches? Do you not know how many coaches flat turned down Tennessee’s offers? One does not just go out and say, I want you to come coach my football or basketball team and they say well, your school was not really what I was looking for, but because you asked, I will be your coach.I wonder why we don’t call Saba and say, hey, you have been at Mama too long. You have to come and coach at Tennessee. The same thing applies to football and all other recruits. I suspect you do really understand how it really works, but you like to stir the pot at the expense of our athletic programs.

Reactions: 2 people
Good news is DB has overseen some of UTC's biggest success. Football is doing better than I can remember. It's been decades since they were good.

The football coach that had the successful run at UTC was NOT hired by DB. That coach was already there when DB took over. DB did not fire him when he was hired even though he was not setting the world on fire. Letting him get away however may end up being a big mistake though.

Edited to add: Huseman was hired in 2009. DB took over as AD in 2013.

UTC Football records from 2009 - 2016:

6-5
6-5
5-6
6-5
8-4 (2013)
10-4
9-4
9-4
9-4

UTC has won their conference 3 out of the last 4 years - but I would contend that is directly related to Appy State leaving the conference than anything else.

Last edited:
What is the world are you talking about? Do you actually think that the University did not try to hire “big named” coaches? Do you not know how many coaches flat turned down Tennessee’s offers? One does not just go out and say, I want you to come coach my football or basketball team and they say well, your school was not really what I was looking for, but because you asked, I will be your coach.I wonder why we don’t call Saba and say, hey, you have been at Mama too long. You have to come and coach at Tennessee. The same thing applies to football and all other recruits. I suspect you do really understand how it really works, but you like to stir the pot at the expense of our athletic programs.

Come on now - you know Saban is just waiting for that call from Tennessee NOT.

Would you want to work for Hamilton? Reread the last sentence in the 1st paragraph of OP, a good AD is a good salesman. I'm not saying he can get Gruden as no one can, he won't coach again but I'm sure a good AD could have got Strong, Sumlin, or Gundy, absolutely.

Would you want to work for Hamilton? Reread the last sentence in the 1st paragraph of OP, a good AD is a good salesman. I'm not saying he can get Gruden as no one can, he won't coach again but I'm sure a good AD could have got Strong, Sumlin, or Gundy, absolutely.

Strong failed in a state where talent is in abundance. Do you really think he would have been successful at Tennessee. I don't.

Reactions: 5 people
The football coach that had the successful run at UTC was NOT hired by DB. That coach was already there when DB took over. DB did not fire him when he was hired even though he was not setting the world on fire. Letting him get away however may end up being a big mistake though.

Edited to add: Huseman was hired in 2009. DB took over as AD in 2013.

UTC Football records from 2009 - 2016:

6-5
6-5
5-6
6-5
8-4 (2013)
10-4
9-4
9-4
9-4

UTC has won their conference 3 out of the last 4 years - but I would contend that is directly related to Appy State leaving the conference than anything else.

I didn't say he hired Russ, momma called Russ home. DB's first two hires were homeruns in Will Wade and Jim Foster (OSU coach). 2015, UTC won titles in football, bball (both men and women), volleyball, and wrestling. After losing Wade, hired another star in McCall.

We were told no after Kiffin by several candidates, and it's fairly well considered that Hamilton was "persuaded " into pulling the trigger on Dooley.

Either way, who we wound up with, and why, is exactly the reason we need strong leadership that can get everyone on the same page and rather than being persuaded, can do the persuading.

Reactions: 1 person
Strong failed in a state where talent is in abundance. Do you really think he would have been successful at Tennessee. I don't.

Let's be honest here, Strong never had a chance at Tx, we both know why. Same reason he got passed over at Florida.

Watch him at USF, he will kill it.

Two things... 1) we wanted strong, and had him basically on the altar, only to see him stay put.... not a ringing endorsement on the state of the program. 2) I don't know that he'd of been any more successful at this UT, but I do know he has much stronger ties to recruiting in the SEC, than he ever did in TX, talent rich as it may be.

Strong was going to be a bit of a project at TX. Probably a bad fit given the patience level.

Let's be honest here, Strong never had a chance at Tx, we both know why. Same reason he got passed over at Florida.

I don't care what kind of support you have from whoever.

Someone could light the stadium on fire, put spike strips in front of the team bus and poison the pre game meal and no coach at Texas should lose to Kansas.

I'm sure there were issues, but colossal failure of that magnitude can not be blamed on not being accepted by a fan base.

And I love Charlie Strong. One of the finest people one could ever know

Last edited:
Hopefully, the new AD will get UT out of the habit from hiring coaches from the bargain bin. Kiffin, Dooley, Butch, Holly, Tyndall, Cuonzo, and Raleigh have shown only middling results (in the best case). In worst case, there are several program killers in that list.

Just my opinion, but
These and other coaches were offered and said NO. There were other big names offered who said no as well.
Remember Tenn was in a Money pinch so they did not have the blank check to write, paying off stupid Hamilton contracts and firings etc..
But even more was Jimmy Cheeks admission policies that had, have coaches playing on an unlevel field. Players who meet NCAA and SEC minimum standards but weren't allowed into TN, but immediately allowed into Oklahoma, and North Carolina for example, but Cheek wouldn't even allow exceptions like EVERY other single team in the SEC.. The SEC is hard, and impossible to win with restrictions that others don't face.. Coaches said no for a reason...

I'm so sick of this.

Strong was in over his head
The boosters don't control the product you put on the field
He dropped a game to a basketball school

He may kill it there because frankly that's the pressure he can handle at HC.

Reactions: 3 people
UT will be paying the price for Hamilton until everyone is washed away that had any association with him. Unfortunately, that includes 2 of the prime contenders for the AD role.

Of course he will and should succeed at USF. It is not a P5 school in a larger conference. Have you considered that maybe that level is his ceiling? You are quick to put Jones in that category but not others with worst or similar success in P5 conferences.

I don't get why you believe that a coach (any coach) who has not set the world on fire at another P5 school could magically set the world on fire at Tennessee ... just because it is Tennessee.

You name a list of coaches that are generally 4 to 5 losses per year coaches at other P5 schools because you want to can a coach that has only won 9 (... i.e. 4 losses) the past two years.

Some of you make absolutely no logical sense.

VN Store

Back