Hiring Dameyune Craig Would Be Boost Butch Jones Needs

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
https://campusinsiders.com/news/tennessee-dameyune-craig-butch-jones/

"
Craig is certainly available after being dismissed by LSU head coach Ed Orgeron after spending a season in Baton Rouge as wide receivers coach. He was hired from Auburn by Les Miles. Craig was brought in as not only as an esteemed coach but as one of the top recruiters in the nation. It didn’t work out with Orgeron taking the reins, and now he is looking for a job.
Jones should not wait another second to go after Craig, who has helped sign players such as former Florida State quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston and potential breakout stars at Auburn like wide receiver Nate Craig-Myers.
Craig knows the SEC, and he has deep roots in talent-laden states Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana."

I would be all for Craig landing in Knoxville. His recruiting ability alone is enough to give him a shot imo.

Reactions: 6 people
The guy came as close to beating us in the SECCG. They had little more than he and Spikes. If he can coach that kinda grit, I'm for it.

Reactions: 1 person
Will the complete coaching overhaul help Butch's case at all? It seems that the University is giving him EVERY opportunity to right the ship. If they perform poorly, Butch will get the direct blame and responsibility. Will the same be true if they do very well? In the administration's mind, I would think so, and that's really all that matters.

Craig might be a good hire. questions about him are: is he a good position coach? why has he lasted one or two years at his last 3 stops? His area of recruiting is South Alabama, will Tennessee get that many great players from the mobile area?

Kevin Beard's questions are: He very young and does not have much coaching experience. Can he coach the position well. He is from Miami area and recruits that area [ as does everyone else] will we be able to get the top players to come up north?

Will the complete coaching overhaul help Butch's case at all? It seems that the University is giving him EVERY opportunity to right the ship. If they perform poorly, Butch will get the direct blame and responsibility. Will the same be true if they do very well? In the administration's mind, I would think so, and that's really all that matters.

we have no admin, no leadershjp, that is a huge problem

Reactions: 2 people
Good Lord, stop being a sheep! Just because it's in every thread on VN, doesn't mean it's true.

Even if it is, hasn't that dead horse been beat enough?:horse:

not enough as that "stop being a sheep" comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
All of you who are trying to use the term "sheep" as a metaphor for someone who is blindly led and has no reason of their own, let me remind you of Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. These words were spoken from our Lord Jesus Christ himself in the flesh.

Reactions: 8 people
All of you who are trying to use the term "sheep" as a metaphor for someone who is blindly led and has no reason of their own, let me remind you of Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. These words were spoken from our Lord Jesus Christ himself in the flesh.

Soooo....Butch is your Shepard on VN in your scenario?

There is a lot of stuff out there about Craig not getting along with any staff he has ever been a part of.

This rumor is out there, but it would be up to Butch to spot this in an interview. I think Craig is at least worth an interview. Plus you do your homework and actually talk to coaches he's been on staff with.

We shouldn't rush the hire. I say interview several people, and put out lots of feelers to see who else out there might be interested. I don't feel like this is a hire that has to be done tomorrow. We can afford a few weeks, imo.

I initially thought same, but...

He's been on staff at 3 prestigious programs and is a respected recruiter, yet has been right there for the taking for a few weeks. There is some reason for that. There just is. Kiffin lost a couple staffers on offense a couple weeks ago and even he hasn't hired Craig, and you'd think he would want him in Florida. No one has touched him, which is weird. There is something to that.

Reactions: 2 people
https://campusinsiders.com/news/tennessee-dameyune-craig-butch-jones/

"
Craig is certainly available after being dismissed by LSU head coach Ed Orgeron after spending a season in Baton Rouge as wide receivers coach. He was hired from Auburn by Les Miles. Craig was brought in as not only as an esteemed coach but as one of the top recruiters in the nation. It didn’t work out with Orgeron taking the reins, and now he is looking for a job.
Jones should not wait another second to go after Craig, who has helped sign players such as former Florida State quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston and potential breakout stars at Auburn like wide receiver Nate Craig-Myers.
Craig knows the SEC, and he has deep roots in talent-laden states Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana."

I would be all for Craig landing in Knoxville. His recruiting ability alone is enough to give him a shot imo.

You have done absolutely zero research. While a somewhat effective recruiter, his strongest point, he is a lone wolf type. He is a terrible position coach by most accounts and does not get along with others. Coach O ditched him in one single year, what does that tell you. We need coaches that can develop and recruit and they do exist.

Soooo....Butch is your Shepard on VN in your scenario?

Jesus is my Shepard in all aspects of life. If The Lord tells his disciples to be sheep among wolves, then that's what we should be. I just don't get people using "sheep" as a symbol of weakness in any format.

Last edited:
Jesus is my Shepard in all aspects of life. If The Lord tells his disciples to be sheep among wolves, then that's what we should be. I just don't get people using "sheep" as a symbol of weakness in any format.[/

When a person is referred to as a "sheep", it means that s/he mindlessly follows the crowd/majority without using his own brain, rationale and sanity.
In short, s/he confirms to what we term the mob mentality/ herd mentality.

Literally interpretation not always the best avenue.

VN Store

Back