Tony Sorrentino--BOOM!

BruisedOrange

Well... known member
New offensive QC.

Just figured I'd get things started. We don't want Tony's hiring slipping under the radar, what with all today's other good hiring and recruiting news. Our NegaVol kin need something to neg on.

- Former Jacksonville Jaguars Asst. Wide Receiver Coach
- Over 10 years of coaching experience

Now let's get some Control over that Quality! (...unless "offensive QC" means Quarterback Coach)

Reactions: 10 people
All the search firms out there are going to be peeved they weren't consulted on the search for a QC.

Reactions: 2 people
New offensive QC.

Just figured I'd get things started. We don't want Tony's hiring slipping under the radar, what with all today's other good hiring and recruiting news. Our NegaVol kin need something to neg on.

- Former Jacksonville Jaguars Asst. Wide Receiver Coach
- Over 10 years of coaching experience

Now let's get some Control over that Quality! (...unless "offensive QC" means Quarterback Coach)

Pump us up.....tells us we going to ATL in Dec. :)

Reactions: 1 person
That's 2 new guys in 2 days with solid NFL experience and connections.

Top prospects like to hear that your program has slid NFL experience and good NFL connections.

True or not the prospects assume those things will help them get into the NFL.

Should help with recruiting...we hope.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 4 people
how many QCs are there now ?

I do like them hiring QC coaches or whatever they are called

from what i have read they're there to help the coaches off the field ? so the coaches can apply more time to the players ?

That's 2 new guys in 2 days with solid NFL experience and connections.

Top prospects like to hear that your program has slid NFL experience and good NFL connections.

True or not the prospects assume those things will help them get into the NFL.

Should help with recruiting...we hope.

VFL...GBO!!!

Yeah, but all schools have guys like these.

how many QCs are there now ?

I do like them hiring QC coaches or whatever they are called

from what i have read they're there to help the coaches off the field ? so the coaches can apply more time to the players ?

Quality control coaches began as an NFL idea, and have been added by colleges to assist the full-time staff. According to Wikipedia (FWIW):

...primary job is preparing the team for a game, beginning sometimes two or three weeks before the actual game. Their primary duties include preparing for the game by analyzing game film for statistical analysis.

There are three different types of quality control teams: offensive, defensive, and special teams. Offensive quality control will chart the upcoming teams' defense for various down and distance situations, field positions and how many times they use particular personnel groupings. Defensive quality control will do similar analysis of the offense. Special teams quality control will figure out what players are used in various special situations such as kickoff and punt.​

I've read that UF actually has six QC coaches. The NCAA doesn't even define the position. Teams are allowed nine full-time assistants and four graduate assistants, plus the HC. But the key is, there are no limitations to the size of the off-field support staff.

So the main restriction is that they can't work with players on the field. Besides freeing up time for other coaches, they search for holes, problems and landmines--anything that could go wrong in the program. The benefit from that is it allows your coaches and coordinators to be more creative, explore new options, knowing someone else is making sure there isn't a hidden downside or exploitable weakness to their new ideas. Ideally, I'd think you want two kinds of people in these positions: beginning coaches with time, energy, and eagerness to be exposed to as much big-time football as possible, and veteran football minds who've seen it all at the top levels of play. It's not a position where you want continuity, though, as having different eyes looking at your program every few years increases the position's value.

There's also a "catch-all" aspect. One college's QC job description I saw included "poster design, practice scripts, and campus tours." Whatever the duties, these people maximize the allowable time position coaches and coordinators have with the athletes.

Reactions: 9 people
Alabama has employed 8, yes 8 analysts every year for the last several seasons. They are a blend between a GA and an advance scout. The difference being a GA has to be enrolled as a grad-student. Neither are allowed to recruit.

Reactions: 2 people
Alabama has employed 8, yes 8 analysts every year for the last several seasons. They are a blend between a GA and an advance scout. The difference being a GA has to be enrolled as a grad-student. Neither are allowed to recruit.

Now that reads correct. :)

The QC position is typically NOT a coaching position. A notch above team manager.

It is suppose to a lot of film analysis. Gauging how players react, tweaking routes. Looking for weakness in opponent's tendencies to improve the game plan.

I wasn't trying to make waves, but some acted like we hit a coaching homerun. Look I am glad we got additional eyes but he does not interact with players.

nice, so we need nine then...:)

GO VOLS!

What are the QC coaches limits on recruiting? It seems Wells was involved prior to his change to OL coach.

Just read QC coach can contact schools to build relationships but can't contact recruits.

I wasn't trying to make waves, but some acted like we hit a coaching homerun. Look I am glad we got additional eyes but he does not interact with players.

So if he meets a player in the hall or on the sidewalk he must run away from the player. How do you not break a "law" if you are in this job. Just wonder.....

Tony worked at U of Miami for 2 years and that may be connection to Larry Scott. Anyway adding Gerald Brown and Tony sure is not adding raw interns to the mix! Butch is retooling his personnel in a big way.

VN Store

Back