Report: Slimmer Kongbo switching position

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Report: Tennessee Vols football Johnathan Kongbo slimmer, moving back to defensive end

Tennessee’s Jonathan Kongbo will move back to his preferred position for spring camp, according to a Friday report.
Longtime Knoxville radio broadcaster Jimmy Hyams tweeted that Kongbo — who played both defensive end and defensive tackle for the Vols last season — has dropped 20 pounds off his 6-foot-6 frame and will play his preferred end position this spring.

I'm all for it. He could be dominate this season.

Reactions: 18 people
Report: Tennessee Vols football Johnathan Kongbo slimmer, moving back to defensive end

Tennessee’s Jonathan Kongbo will move back to his preferred position for spring camp, according to a Friday report.
Longtime Knoxville radio broadcaster Jimmy Hyams tweeted that Kongbo — who played both defensive end and defensive tackle for the Vols last season — has dropped 20 pounds off his 6-foot-6 frame and will play his preferred end position this spring.

I'm all for it. He could be dominate this season.

I'm good with this, but don't even think about screwing it up like Chief moving Leonard Little to LB his senior year.

Reactions: 3 people
Good News!!

Now if Tuttle and Mckenzie can go more than ONE Series without getting hurt....??? :banghead2:

Reactions: 7 people
I'm good with this, but don't even think about screwing it up like Chief moving Leonard Little to LB his senior year.

Yeah, that was just stupid!

Then again, look at how they took all those recievers and moved em' to DB's. The, there were no recievers for two years!

Reactions: 1 person
Sincerely Happy to have him. And any other team in the nation would be, too. BUT he has BIG BIG shoes to fill. Like Reggie White plus a little more, and then like one more sack after that.

Barnett my be gone but this D-Line could be the deepest we've had in some time. The most talented too.

It's been so long since Tennessee's had a good defense, it's scary.....

Will 2017 be a stellar year defensively for the Vols, I really hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it, would you?:hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Hopefully Kongbo gets faster. I wasn't impressed with him last year but really wasn't impressed with 2016 as a whole

Sorry, Barnett is not "a little more than Reggie White".

Don't let your emotions get in the way now. Numbers don't lie. Not saying he will be anything near Reggie in the NFL, but he did what Reggie did and then some..in 3 years.. mostly against sec competition.

Barnett my be gone but this D-Line could be the deepest we've had in some time. The most talented too.

Uhh, Mckenzie tore major muscles in to, hasn't even been able to lift weights this year, no way he will be as strong this season.. Tuttle might not be back this fall, his broken leg was the bad kind.. our only legit 2nd teamers are Johnson, who has yet to do any dang thing and Vickers, who like Mckenzie and Tuttle is a no go in the weight room and also will be absent this spring,,, Mixon and Another D Tackle were thrown off the team, so right now You have 2 walk Ons, and an undersized Picuo, and Oh yea, Butler gave up football because of injuries... Now you move Kongbo out of DT and the Vols have like 4 DTs, 2 of which are walk ons.. Deepest in Some Time?? NO NOT AT ALL... CRITICAL Problem..

Last edited:
Uhh, Mckenzie tore major muscles in to, hasn't even been able to lift weights this year, no way he will be as strong this season.. Tuttle might not be back this fall, his broken leg was the bad kind.. our only legit 2nd teamers are Johnson, who has yet to do any dang thing and Vickers, who like Mckenzie and Tuttle is a no go in the weight room and also will be absent this spring,,, Mixon and Another D Tackle were thrown off the team, so right now You have 2 walk Ons, and an undersized Picuo, and Oh yea, Butler gave up football because of injuries... Now you move Kongbo out of DT and the Vols have like 4 DTs, 2 of which are walk ons.. Deepest in Some Time?? NO NOT AT ALL... CRITICAL Problem..

My brother, just think about this ... if the coaches are moving Kongbo out of DT, and encouraged Mosley and Mixon to move on ... is it just possible that they are seeing the DL situation differently from the perspective of you and I?

Reactions: 8 people
I'm a fan of this move.

Comes at a slight cost to DT depth, but IMO DE depth is thinner than DT depth this year.

Don't let your emotions get in the way now. Numbers don't lie. Not saying he will be anything near Reggie in the NFL, but he did what Reggie did and then some..in 3 years.. mostly against sec competition.

Reggie was so dominant that he was named SEC Player of the Year.

I guess by this logic Joey Kent is Tennessee's all-time greatest receiver??? (No offense to Joey).

Numbers sometimes do lie.

Mark Twain once said there were 3 kinds of lies - lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Barnett and White are 2 of the best players to ever wear orange. I certainly wouldn't say Barnett was better based on one or two statistics without considering the changes to how the game is played, number of double and triple teams against him, injuries, etc.

Reactions: 7 people

At a different position. Reggie toiled away at DT in those old 5 man fronts for most of his sacks. By the time Reggie LEFT Tennessee he was the best. Barnett was instantly impactful and maintained that level for 3 seasons. It's "emotional" to assert that a last sack in a BOWL GAME (Reggie's didn't count) to attain the record, is this big bad "numbers don't lie" factor.

Reactions: 5 people
At a different position. Reggie toiled away at DT in those old 5 man fronts for most of his sacks. By the time Reggie LEFT Tennessee he was the best. Barnett was instantly impactful and maintained that level for 3 seasons. It's "emotional" to assert that a last sack in a BOWL GAME (Reggie's didn't count) to attain the record, is this big bad "numbers don't lie" factor.

In addition, Barnett took the outside rush 90% of the time, leaving gaping holes for the run game. He player himself out of position for the run way too often.

VN Store

Back