Beacon piece: DeShields still deciding

In the big picture as long as Holly Warlick is Coach ,it makes little difference whether Diamond stays or goes.....The program will continue its downhill slide.

Reactions: 12 people
Make it Happen!

"The San Antonio Stars went 7-27 in 2016, winning just 20.6% of their games. If the team drafted DeShields, it would team her up with former Lady Vol Vicki Baugh, who played for Tennessee during the waning years of the Pat Summitt era."

Holly ain't going anywhere next season. She'll be the coach. With that said Diamond should leave and pursue her WNBA career. Holly has proven that she can't coach Diamond into being a successful part of the team so why waste another year trying to do something that she can't. Diamond is so messed up in the head because of CHW it would be a good thing for her mental health to get away from Tennessee and Holly.

And besides Holly mating call was GET THE BALL INSIDE! Deshields was an afterthought in the scheme of things. So, she should just go and have great memories of her freshmen year at North Carolina. Tennessee was a bust for her. So sad.

With Diamond gone, Tennessee will have a new look and coach Holly Warlick will have to prove herself for the last time (fingers crossed).

Diamond would be one less scapegoat for the Holly fans to throw under the bus when they know deep down in their hearts that Holly should be under that bus with plenty of skid marks.

GoLadyVols!:)

Reactions: 4 people
Anybody who wants the LVs to be a stronger, more experienced team next year hopes Diamond stays.

Reactions: 15 people
I'm hoping Diamond DeShields stays, it will be much more fun if she does, no doubt they will be a top five team with her and the new girls could learn some of her moves.

Reactions: 3 people
I think Diamond still has a lot left to prove. Her biggest question mark is her ability to bring her 'A' game night in and night out, which was glaring this year and the rest of the team followed her lead. I really hope Diamond stays because she is a heck of a ball player but she needs to get better. There is an opportunity next season to with the incoming freshman and returners to make a final four run, in my opinion, but that changes some if Diamond does not come back. And not to mention, the WNBA is not going anywhere and there is no guarantee San Antonio will pick Diamond.
If I were Ruth Riley from San Antonio, I would pick Kelsey Plum with the first pick hands down.

Diamond is so messed up in the head because of CHW it would be a good thing for her mental health to get away from Tennessee and Holly

IF DD is messed up in the head, how do we know Holly is the blame?

That's a serious accusation that should come with at least a modicum of proof.

What's more likely is DD has had people like you making excuses for everything. But very soon she will get to a point where people like you won't be able to make excuses for her (but I'm sure you'll find a way).

If she has a poor pro career, it's because Holly screwed her head up so bad and she couldn't recover.

Please go pro DD so we can all find out just how bad a coach Holly is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
IF DD is messed up in the head, how do we know Holly is the blame?

That's a serious accusation that should come with at least a modicum of proof.

What's more likely is DD has had people like you making excuses for everything. But very soon she will get to a point where people like you won't be able to make excuses for her (but I'm sure you'll find a way).

If she has a poor pro career, it's because Holly screwed her head up so bad and she couldn't recover.

Please go pro DD so we can all find out just how bad a coach Holly is.

It's my point of view as a fan seeing the team perform.

Diamond was clearly frustrated these past two seasons and there was nothing that Holly could say or do to make things better for her and the team. 26 losses in 2 seasons. Talk about underachieving? With Holly standing on the sidelines with hands on hips & after each loss her answers in pressers is 'I don't know'. Diamond had absolutely no help in making her a better basketball player at Tennessee. Holly has proven that she was and is incapable of getting the best out of Diamond and the other LVs.

In hindsight it was the wrong decision for Diamond to come to Tennessee. But clearly when she made that decision Diamond and myself included didn't realize at that time on how bad of a coach Holly would turn out to be. Our bad. :eek:k:

Part of Me is torn on this:

Selfish part of me wants her to stay, yet being a realist I think she should leave.

With that being said what will be the difference next year with her going to the WNBA (1st overall to the Stars) or staying her final year.

If she heads to the draft she would play for a 1st Time Head Coach, a lot of new pieces on a team that is unlikely to make the playoffs (Top 8 teams make it and adding her would still put them behind: LA, Minny, Phoenix, Washington, Seattle, New York, Indy, Conn or Chicago) the only plus would probably be being played to play (and she comes from a family with money) and playing with a coach and players who possibly understands and coaches/plays to the standards she is accustomed to

I think she sat down and look at the McDonald's All American game and really see if the incoming freshman are legit and that will sway her decision.

The anti-Holly (Hate Holly) sentiments runs so deep for some "fans" that they are actively rooting against the LVs program.

I am sure many were waiting for news that Mercedes and Diamond would transfer so they could gloat-- "see I told you so! Holly is driving our best players away." Now, they are down to rooting for Diamond to leave. And I would not be surprised that many in this crowd were thrilled when the LVs lost to Louisville - it is bad for Holly, YEAH!!!!!

And wouldn't it be great if our recruits all reneged or Jamie transferred! WhooHoo happy days!!

Conversely, for these fans, any good news for the program is treated as a bad news, since it cast a more favorable light on the CHW.

With each passing day, it is becoming undeniable that Holly will be coaching the LV's next season.

So, all the criticism of Holly's coaching shortfalls have been noted endlessly on this board. Perhaps it is time to see what transpires next year with Holly's #1 recruiting class and returners (now including two likely AA candidates in Jamie and Mercedes, with Diamond's status still undetermined).

Otherwise, it is ironically sad, that a LV fan board will be a place where so many are rooting against the LV's.

Reactions: 10 people
Make it Happen!

"The San Antonio Stars went 7-27 in 2016, winning just 20.6% of their games. If the team drafted DeShields, it would team her up with former Lady Vol Vicki Baugh, who played for Tennessee during the waning years of the Pat Summitt era."

Holly ain't going anywhere next season. She'll be the coach. With that said Diamond should leave and pursue her WNBA career. Holly has proven that she can't coach Diamond into being a successful part of the team so why waste another year trying to do something that she can't. Diamond is so messed up in the head because of CHW it would be a good thing for her mental health to get away from Tennessee and Holly.

And besides Holly mating call was GET THE BALL INSIDE! Deshields was an afterthought in the scheme of things. So, she should just go and have great memories of her freshmen year at North Carolina. Tennessee was a bust for her. So sad.

With Diamond gone, Tennessee will have a new look and coach Holly Warlick will have to prove herself for the last time (fingers crossed).

Diamond would be one less scapegoat for the Holly fans to throw under the bus when they know deep down in their hearts that Holly should be under that bus with plenty of skid marks.

GoLadyVols!:)
You're already convinced TJ so what do Holly has to prove.

DD thrives on winning. Lady Vols are not a "in the basement team." What team in the WNBA will give up the number of players the Stars need for one DD? DD's stock can go up
with a big Vol recovery. Not going to happen with Stars. Too bad she can't go to LA where
she could really be a winner.

DeShields was borderline bad last year--seemed to have a bad attitude. She was much better this year, played harder and with what seemed a more focused and positive on-court demeanor, but was still maddeningly erratic for someone with her talent. And the team--under the weak Warlick--again dramatically underachieved. Still too many poor shooting games--capped by her 3-12 performance in the NCAA game against Louisville. She is too skilled to have games like that, but she still has them regularly. Our crappy offensive coaching must alway figure into the equation when evaluating our players, unfortunately. I can't understand why the results weren't better with Warlick offering consistent post-loss comments like this, while scratching her head in befuddlement: "They just didn't make plays." Razor sharp, I tell you. Twenty-six losses in two years--that is a eye-popping indictment of the coach and her staff.

I think Diamond took it personal when she was accused of not being a team player. She tried really hard this yr to get her team involved and had some great unselfish passes and put her body on the line going for rebounds we rarely saw our other players do this yr. Her court vision is better than her teammates and manyblf her errant passes were due to her teammates not seeing it coming or too hot to handle. I thought in some games she should have took over and stop being so unselfish but if she comes back she will have a great supporting cast and should be more comfortable playing her game.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back