John Gruden: "Russell Wilson had it, Dak Prescott has it, this kid (Dobbs) has it."

Dobbs 4 Heisman

http://wate.com/2017/03/27/jon-gruden-puts-josh-dobbs-to-the-test-at-qb-camp/

“I think you have to spend some time with him. I think you have to be around him to see what we’re talking about. I said this last year, I’m not to say I haven’t been wrong before, but Prescott had the it factor, there’s just the wow it factor that certain people have,” Gruden said. “Russell Wilson had it, Dak Prescott has it, this kid has it.”

Pretty high praise from Coach Gruden. I remember last year Gruden was the only guy at ESPN that was high on Prescott. And we all know how that turned out. I have a feeling Josh makes Gruden look like a genius once again.

Reactions: 14 people
Why are we still listening to Jon Gruden?

ESPN viewers know that it’s impossible to avoid him during NFL draft season thanks to his popular segment Gruden QB Camp, which puts prospects through the paces for an entire day with the Monday Night Football analyst. Even the many who have chosen to avoid ESPN networks entirely, save for watching live sporting events, will find it difficult to escape him during the offseason. Draft coverage in non-ESPN-related outlets routinely references Gruden’s analysis of QB prospects, seemingly valuing it above all others. There are precious few places that didn’t report on Gruden calling Carson Wentz “the most NFL-ready quarterback” in years.’

Gruden’s evaluation was seen as a huge boon to the stock of Wentz, the heavily-debated prospect out of North Dakota State. But considering Gruden’s track record – this is the QB expert who predicted NFL stardom for Johnny Manziel and Tim Tebow – Wentz may want to see what kind of jobs he can get with his Health Education degree because Gruden endorsements are often the kiss of QB career death.

While most analysts can’t boast that they’ve won a Super Bowl, most analysts all can’t say they’ve gone all-in on Rob Johnson, Tim Rattay, Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski, Brian Griese, Simms, Tebow, Manziel. You name the disastrous NFL QB, Gruden has probably been high on him.

In 2005, he put Simms and Griese on the field all season after bypassing Aaron Rodgers in the draft to take Cadillac Williams. In 2007 he said of Simms: “I’m going to have to screw things up pretty good for that kid not to turn out really special.” In 2014 he said Johnny Manziel has a lot of “magic” to him and openly begged the Raiders to draft the Texas A&M man. The Raiders passed on Manziel and took Derek Carr with the 36th pick. Carr is arguably the best under-26 QB in the NFL, while Manziel is out of the league and possibly on his way to jail. Gruden remains on the air, being wrong about a whole new class of quarterbacks, telling teams that Christian Hackenberg is worthy of a first-round pick

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...ohnny-manziel-tim-tebow-espn?CMP=share_btn_tw

Reactions: 4 people
Gruden says that about every QB on his show, every year.

You don't have to even type anything, as soon as I see your avatar with your name, I know exactly what tone the post is headed towards. Have you ever tried going a full day without a negative post?

Reactions: 5 people
You know he almost coached here!😎

2up4i0g.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
You don't have to even type anything, as soon as I see your avatar with your name, I know exactly what tone the post is headed towards. Have you ever tried going a full day without a negative post?

There's a difference in negativity and fact. Find one draft where Gruden didn't give high praise to any qb

http://wate.com/2017/03/27/jon-gruden-puts-josh-dobbs-to-the-test-at-qb-camp/

Pretty high praise from Coach Gruden. I remember last year Gruden was the only guy at ESPN that was high on Prescott. And we all know how that turned out. I have a feeling Josh makes Gruden look like a genius once again.

Prescott had the luxury of playing his rookie season behind the best offensive line in the NFL. Circumstances were such that he could be successful. IT's likely that Dobbs won't have such a luxury. IF Romo doesn't get hurt, Prescott likely never sees the field. It's nearly impossible for Dobbs' rookie situation to turn out like PRescott's. I guess we'll see

As I recall, Gruden has claimed several players have "it"

It's one of his "go to's" like gym rat, film study all the time, "it factor" yada yada yada. Gruden is a good guy and good coach, nothing special, he's the prototype for proving a broken clock is right twice a day. He is correct about Dobbs IMO, we could of course be proven wrong in the long run as the young man has to get on an NFL field in a game to find out.

Gruden says that about every QB on his show, every year.

Not really. He's complimentary of every QB. But he has his favorite every year. Two years ago I remember he was big on Mariota over Winston. While every other expert was saying Winston should go first overall, Gruden was saying it should be Mariota. Last year he liked Dak more than anyone at ESPN. And I don't remember him banging the drum for Goff.

Now he has had his misses. In 2014 he was the guy at the draft that was campaigning the most for Johnny Manziel to be the first QB taken.

Last edited:
it's one of his "go to's" like gym rat, film study all the time, "it factor" yada yada yada. Gruden is a good guy and good coach, nothing special, he's the prototype for proving a broken clock is right twice a day. He is correct about dobbs imo, we could of course be proven wrong in the long run as the young man has to get on an nfl field in a game to find out.

SPYDER 2 Y-BANANA

my personal favorite is when he calls players the JOKER

Not really. He's complimentary of every QB. But he has his favorite every year. Two years ago I remember he was big on Mariota over Winston. While every other expert was saying Winston should go first overall, Gruden was saying it should be Mariota. Last year he liked Dak more than anyone at ESPN. And I don't remember him banging the drum for Goff.

Now he has had his misses. In 2014 he was the guy at the draft that was campaigning the most for Johnny Manziel to be the first QB taken.

Define "banging the drum". Here are some of the things he said to and about Goff during last year's QB Camp with Jared .....

"You're the toughest guy I've seen come through here in 7 years of doing this camp."

"You've thrown some of the greatest passes I've ever seen"

"The Natural"

Called him resilient, tough, said he threw great passes with no blocking (several times)

"He's tough, he's smart, and he'll shred you"

"This here's the greatest throw of the year...that's the greatest throw in the history of throws, it really is"

"....you're gonna win the heisman trophy....I watched that film and said 'he's gonna win the heisman trophy, he's unbelievable' "

Said he was a quick study, very smart, had a photographic memory, that he was able to quickly take what he learned in the meeting room and apply it to the field. Said he had great arm and mental quickness.

Now, I don't know exactly what "banging the drum" looks like here, but that's gotta be somewhere close to it, no?

Reactions: 2 people
$20 says the only thing Dobbs has to do with a plane is ridding in one. Most intellectuals like him find other venues to persue.

Define "banging the drum". Here are some of the things he said to and about Goff during last year's QB Camp with Jared .....

"You're the toughest guy I've seen come through here in 7 years of doing this camp."

"You've thrown some of the greatest passes I've ever seen"

"The Natural"

Called him resilient, tough, said he threw great passes with no blocking (several times)

"He's tough, he's smart, and he'll shred you"

"This here's the greatest throw of the year...that's the greatest throw in the history of throws, it really is"

"....you're gonna win the heisman trophy....I watched that film and said 'he's gonna win the heisman trophy, he's unbelievable' "

Said he was a quick study, very smart, had a photographic memory, that he was able to quickly take what he learned in the meeting room and apply it to the field. Said he had great arm and mental quickness.

Now, I don't know exactly what "banging the drum" looks like here, but that's gotta be somewhere close to it, no?

I watch him during the draft moreso than the QB camp and on draft night he wasn't clamoring for Goff. Especially like he was Mariota in 2015 and Manziel in 2014.

VN Store

Back