Doug Mathews' thoughts on Team 121....

KBVol

Attended last Tuesday's practice, had these observations on his show this morning...

1. Strength of the team will be the Offensive line. Said Wells doing an excellent job, guys playing with more toughness and attitude.

2. Most important development/move for this team/program has been the hiring of Rock Gullickson

3. Believes Drew Richmond has locked down the left tackle spot. Said everything was set up for him to just give up after his first two years on campus, but that he has come back better than ever, ready to play and has nailed down the LT spot.

4. Believes QD has the edge at qb right now. Thinks he should given his extra time in the program over JG.

5. Said he believes we have good to very good depth at DT

6. Said when he watched the practice on Tuesday from the balcony at Anderson Training Center, that several players jumped out to him as more "sudden", quicker players than the others......Nigel Warrior, Austin Smith, Shannon Reid, Darrell Taylor, Latrell Williams. Said there were others who impressed as well with their quickness and power, but that those stood out.

7. Said Trey Smith was the most impressive freshman OL he's ever seen, going back to his 10 coaching years at UT. Said he's definitely a 3-year player.

Said a few other things, but those are the ones that stuck out to me. Anybody else listening, feel free to add other points I may have missed.

Reactions: 47 people
Attended last Tuesday's practice, had these observations on his show this morning...

1. Strength of the team will be the Offensive line. Said Wells doing an excellent job, guys playing with more toughness and attitude.

2. Most important development/move for this team/program has been the hiring of Rock Gullickson

3. Believes Drew Richmond has locked down the left tackle spot. Said everything was set up for him to just give up after his first two years on campus, but that he has come back better than ever, ready to play and has nailed down the LT spot.

4. Believes QD has the edge at qb right now. Thinks he should given his extra time in the program over JG.

6. Said when he watched the practice on Tuesday from the balcony at Anderson Training Center, that several players jumped out to him as more "sudden", quicker players than the others......Nigel Warrior, Austin Smith, Shannon Reid, Darrell Taylor, Latrell Williams. Said there were others who impressed as well with their quickness and power, but that those stood out.

7. Said Trey Smith was the most impressive freshman OL he's ever seen, going back to his 10 coaching years at UT. Said he's definitely a 3-year player.

Said a few other things, but those are the ones that stuck out to me. Anybody else listening, feel free to add other points I may have missed.

Richmond is just not who we thought he was. I don't think he becomes anything more than a depth player.

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

Reactions: 20 people
Good stuff. The Richmond stuff is great to hear. He isn't only one saying that either. Seen several others attending practices say similar. Considering the depth and competition we have thisnyear that is a pretty big statement to his improvement that he has locked that spot down considering Kendrick and Hall would be back in fall.

Reactions: 6 people
Good stuff. The Richmond stuff is great to hear. He isn't only one saying that either. Seen several others attending practices say similar. Considering the depth and competition we have thisnyear that is a pretty big statement to his improvement that he has locked that spot down considering Kendrick and Hall would be back in fall.

Other than depth, Kendrick shouldn't be a factor.

Reactions: 1 person
"strength of the team will be the offensive line"...that blows me away...haven't heard that statement in...I don't remember...:)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 13 people
Great update KB from a guy I have a lot of respect for in DM. REALLY tickled to hear of good things regarding Taylor out of DM's mouth.

Reactions: 3 people
"strength of the team will be the offensive line"...that blows me away...haven't heard that statement in...I don't remember...:)

GO VOLS!

Best Oline we had was probably Butch's first year, with Tiny, Stone, Fulton, Bullard, Ju'Wuan James. That was a pretty stud OL. It's been patchwork at best since then, after Dooley skipped a year.

Thanks, KB, good info. Didn't get to listen to him this morning, appreciate the summary.

You're welcome my friend. He was very positive, feels like we actually have good depth at most positions. Said he was a bit concerned about DE depth, but then went on to pretty much rave about Taylor and then say good things about Kongbo. Could team 121 surprise this year? I'm not quite that optimistic but who knows? Still a lot of talent in the program.

Reactions: 2 people
I always love Doug's info. Much better than a lot of our knowledge here. I do think our OL will be okay this year. Much more seasoned, and I really like the depth we have there. Trey Smith being the real deal is exciting too. Rare you land a OL that can help you that quick, but we'll take it!

I really think that our biggest unknown is going to be our backfield. I think Dormady really made the best of his day yesterday, and turned a lot of public perception for him. I don't think any of us would be sad to see him line up under center after yesterdays performance. He's definitely waited his turn, and looked really great. I think a lot of us on here feel a little better after seeing that. I would hate to see yet another QB transfer and become a Nate Peterman or Riley Ferguson elsewhere. Dormady is a good talent, and I think he will be starter come fall. However, I think JG will be pushing him every week, and wouldn't be surprised to see a 2 QB system, as we've all said.

RB...I think Kelly is the man, but if Kelly gets hurt, then God I hope chandler is ready to play. CFA is still an unknown to me. RB scares me. Kamara is gonna get drafted in the second most likely, but he would have been a first rounder had he stayed this year, no doubt.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised. Biggest thing is getting and keeping everyone healthy. We've been like the LA Clippers here lately. Have a lot of great pieces, but can't keep them all healthy. I'm excited for the season.

I always love Doug's info. Much better than a lot of our knowledge here. I do think our OL will be okay this year. Much more seasoned, and I really like the depth we have there. Trey Smith being the real deal is exciting too. Rare you land a OL that can help you that quick, but we'll take it!

I really think that our biggest unknown is going to be our backfield. I think Dormady really made the best of his day yesterday, and turned a lot of public perception for him. I don't think any of us would be sad to see him line up under center after yesterdays performance. He's definitely waited his turn, and looked really great. I think a lot of us on here feel a little better after seeing that. I would hate to see yet another QB transfer and become a Nate Peterman or Riley Ferguson elsewhere. Dormady is a good talent, and I think he will be starter come fall. However, I think JG will be pushing him every week, and wouldn't be surprised to see a 2 QB system, as we've all said.

RB...I think Kelly is the man, but if Kelly gets hurt, then God I hope chandler is ready to play. CFA is still an unknown to me. RB scares me. Kamara is gonna get drafted in the second most likely, but he would have been a first rounder had he stayed this year, no doubt.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised. Biggest thing is getting and keeping everyone healthy. We've been like the LA Clippers here lately. Have a lot of great pieces, but can't keep them all healthy. I'm excited for the season.

Chandler is elite. he'll be better than Kelly, who is a top 4 back in the conference. I don't like what I've seen from Carlin. He might end up being a serviceable back to spell someone but he isn't SEC starter level.

Chandler is elite. he'll be better than Kelly, who is a top 4 back in the conference. I don't like what I've seen from Carlin. He might end up being a serviceable back to spell someone but he isn't SEC starter level.

I hope you're right, but just on principle, I don't call a 18 year old RB elite until I've seen him prove it in SEC play. We need him to be great though. I just don't coronate anyone until I see them prove it on the field. Seen too many average busts to do that.

Reactions: 5 people

I agree with everything he says and still feel concern about the defense overall. Hopefully we don't have to put up 50 points to beat teams like Vandy and Kentucky.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back