Dormady one of Mandel's 15 breakout stars this spring

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I have no idea how I missed this column from Stewart Mandel yesterday, but he lists his '15 breakout stars from spring football' and Quinten Dormady made the cut.

042517-quinten-dormady.vadapt.767.high.0.jpg

Tennessee QB Quinten Dormady (Jr.)

The popular pick to win Tennessee’s quarterback competition has long been redshirt freshman Jarrett Guarantano, the No. 1 dual-threat prospect in his class. But the less heralded Dormady made quite the convincing case with his spring game performance, finishing 10-of-10 for 120 yards and two TDs. He currently holds the lead to replace to Josh Dobbs.

15 breakout stars from spring football to watch this fall

Reactions: 18 people
He has the potential. He's a talented guy and he'll have weapons. I hope he shows out and has an excellent season.

I think we'll be in great hands with either of these guys running the offense. I do think a lot of us may be forgetting something though. Josh Dobbs was incredibly durable. It had been quite a while since any of our QBs started a complete season when Dobbs took over. I hope that our next QB can have the same run of good health, but history points in a different direction. It is highly likely that we'll see both of these guys starting games at some point in 2017.

Reactions: 7 people
Yes thank you. It's embarrassing that I can't even spell the kid's name correctly.

Have you not seen where this kid has been Dormandy since he got here? Messing up the first name is a new one though, but you're forgiven, Freak.

Reactions: 1 person
Have you not seen where this kid has been Dormandy since he got here? Messing up the first name is a new one though, but you're forgiven, Freak.

I just glad someone pointed it out so I don't keep looking like an idiot. Lol.

Reactions: 2 people

i see what you did there. Hopefully this season will be the year where the N gets permanently dropped from his last name.

i see what you did there. Hopefully this season will be the year where the N gets permanently dropped from his last name.

Keep the N in your pocket...You never know when Vanna will run out of vowels and its your turn to spin. ( yes I know N is not a vowel)

I think we'll be in great hands with either of these guys running the offense. I do think a lot of us may be forgetting something though. Josh Dobbs was incredibly durable. It had been quite a while since any of our QBs started a complete season when Dobbs took over. I hope that our next QB can have the same run of good health, but history points in a different direction. It is highly likely that we'll see both of these guys starting games at some point in 2017.

Dobbs incredibly durable. RIGHT!!
I don't know if I have ever seen a "runner" with his ability to slip, sidestep, or dodge with the ease he showed. He did it so easily, most of the time you just didn't notice he was doing it. Most of the time he didn't stop, turn or otherwise, just kept going down field. I don't know if he was taught this ability or if it was just god given. If it was a taught skill, then his lower level coach (grade school or lower) needs to be found and elevated to the higher level (like maybe the UT running back coach).

glad he's getting some positive spin.

i just hate over reactions to spring games.

the best thing that happened as a result of the spring game is that it may actually quell the notion that if QD does wind up starting, that there wasn't a true competition, and CBJ was going to start the vet because he's the vet, not the best player.

even in a game that was as vanilla as our spring game was, with as many players that didn't even dress, he "looked" good. which is what you would hope. if he, or JG for that matter, looked "bad" in that type of setting, imagine the set back that would indicate?

If he has a middle name and it's Ethan or Edward, QED would be a cool nickname. You know, the latin phrase at the end of a mathematical proof and all?

Okay, that was nerdy.

VN Store

Back