Dishonesty in recruiting

Why again is our fan base banging against our own, Im not orange shade but the first reaction is to blame our coaching staff. I dont get it.

Reactions: 26 people
In other breaking news: water is wet

Nothing against you OP. Good find on the article.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm confused. Is the OP saying our coaching staff is dishonest? If not, then why the he!! make the connection? Why not just say "does anybody know which staff these guys are talking about? Hopefully not ours!"

But I guess it wouldn't be enough fodder to keep it on the front page

Reactions: 7 people
It's hard enough recruiting in the SEC, without some of our own fan base always wanting to bring up the worst about our beloved Vols. Especially if it might not even be our coaches, that either Lawrence or Emory are referring to. Sometimes, I wonder if some of you are rival fans coming on this board to sabotage UT. You want us to recruit well and win,but only focus on negativity about Tennessee. Then when we lose a recruit or a game you blame the coaches. I really don't understand some of the garbage that is posted on here sometimes. If you are a true Big Orange fan, don't destroy our team. Support them! It will help us to get what we all want. SEC & National Titles!
Sandune, I'm not calling you out even though I posted in your thread. I just seem to read so much of negativity in this board sometimes. I've pretty much just resorted to a lurker on here for recruiting info and don't post as much. I really usually like reading your post. Others,not so much. Sorry, rant ended. I just believe positivity would go much further in helping us to achieve our goals. It's been said many times,recruits and their parents come on our board.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 people
Emory could be talking about us but I doubt Trevor is. JMO! Our number one guy right now is Adrian Martinez regardless with another QB committed and our staff has made that known pretty clearly it seems to everyone.

Reactions: 1 person
It's hard enough recruiting in the SEC, without some of our own fan base always wanting to bring up the worst about our beloved Vols. Especially if it might not even be our coaches, that either Lawrence or Emory are referring to. Sometimes, I wonder if some of you are rival fans coming on this board to sabotage UT. You want us to recruit well and win,but only focus on negativity about Tennessee. Then when we lose a recruit or a game you blame the coaches. I really don't understand some of the garbage that is posted on here sometimes. If you are a true Big Orange fan, don't destroy our team. Support them! It will help us to get what we all want. SEC & National Titles!

I can't help but agree you my friend - my husband is a UGA fan and he doesn't even dog us as much as our own fans do!

Reactions: 4 people
It's really got to be hard for these coaches though. You have a number one guy or guy "1A" and "1B". You tell guy "1A" that he's your number one guy and then he doesn't show the same interest and you proceed to tell guy "1B" that he's your number one guy to make him feel like a priority.
I don't think it's dishonesty it's just priorities change based on what they believe is a realistic shot and then guys confuse that with "they lied to me". It's definitely a risky game to play.

I can't help but agree you my friend - my husband is a UGA fan and he doesn't even dog us as much as our own fans do!

Some of our own fan base are our own worst enemies. Again,not referring to you Sandune. I realize you were just trying to share an article. Before the internet the fanbase didn't have as much to do with whether a recruit chose us or not. Now they are able to read everything our fanbase thinks about them. Just look at the Penix thread. I hope he stays and rips up opposing defenses. If he does stay committed to us, he definitely has some thick skin and toughness. I'm rooting for the kid!

I'm confused. Is the OP saying our coaching staff is dishonest? If not, then why the he!! make the connection? Why not just say "does anybody know which staff these guys are talking about? Hopefully not ours!"

But I guess it wouldn't be enough fodder to keep it on the front page

Almost every signee said that one of the reason they picked Tennessee was that CBJ was honest with him and told him like it was with him. I believe what these players said and they were specific in their trust of Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Both players are from GA. I'm just gonna take a wild guess and say Kirby's dumb*** was involved here is some way.

Reactions: 6 people
It could be the staff is telling them they are no#1 on there board,but its no#1 at there position.just a thought.

Emory could be talking about us but I doubt Trevor is. JMO! Our number one guy right now is Adrian Martinez regardless with another QB committed and our staff has made that known pretty clearly it seems to everyone.

Emory could be talking about TN, TL could be talking about TN, but they could just be talking about every coaching staff. They could be talking about any staff. As far as the QB position, EVERY coach says, oh yeah, YOU are our guy, it's called recruiting. IF Jones is talking about Tn, is that why he isn't giving TN another look? It's clear he is wavering as is Fields. I don't expect either to stay committed, I do expect TL to stay at Clemson.

Of 3, one stays true to their word. If coaching changes at CU or Johnson balls this year, even TL isn't 100%. Not sure how TL could be talking about UGA, only have 2 QB, kind if hard to lie about 2 QB, I can easily see Emory Jones talking about UGA, it was clear he was behind TL.

The Jones complaint was ridiculous no matter which team he meant. Every team does that and with good reason.
Jones picked early but it could have just as easily (and often does) go to signing day.
So what are these coaches supposed to do? Tell the other kids "well Jones is our 1 but hey, we see you as a decent consolation prize if that falls through". Or only go for 1 and write the season off as better luck next time if you miss.

I like EJ but if he is dumb enough to believe 'honest Urban' doesn't partake in these practices, kid is in for a rude awakening.

Emory could be talking about TN, TL could be talking about TN, but they could just be talking about every coaching staff. They could be talking about any staff. As far as the QB position, EVERY coach says, oh yeah, YOU are our guy, it's called recruiting. IF Jones is talking about Tn, is that why he isn't giving TN another look? It's clear he is wavering as is Fields. I don't expect either to stay committed, I do expect TL to stay at Clemson.

Of 3, one stays true to their word. If coaching changes at CU or Johnson balls this year, even TL isn't 100%. Not sure how TL could be talking about UGA, only have 2 QB, kind if hard to lie about 2 QB, I can easily see Emory Jones talking about UGA, it was clear he was behind TL.

Emory said it was someone he eliminated early before choosing Ohio st. We were there until the end.

The Jones complaint was ridiculous no matter which team he meant. Every team does that and with good reason.
Jones picked early but it could have just as easily (and often does) go to signing day.
So what are these coaches supposed to do? Tell the other kids "well Jones is our 1 but hey, we see you as a decent consolation prize if that falls through". Or only go for 1 and write the season off as better luck next time if you miss.

I like EJ but if he is dumb enough to believe 'honest Urban' doesn't partake in these practices, kid is in for a rude awakening.

I was about to post the same thing. If he thinks Suburban is honest then he needs to work on his people reading skills. He'll say and do whatever it takes to get a recruit no matter the ethics or honesty sacrifices that have to be made.

I was about to post the same thing. If he thinks Suburban is honest then he needs to work on his people reading skills. He'll say and do whatever it takes to get a recruit no matter the ethics or honesty sacrifices that have to be made.

I read the entire article but as soon as a realized an OSU commit was going to call out any coach on honesty or integrity, "willful ignorance" was my first thought.

Maybe they were not told that at all....Maybe one was, but ego got the best of the other and stated "yea, I was told the same thing". When dealing with kids, ego and recruiting it is best not to delve into the stories.

They may be a No. 1 target by position, for the team. Or maybe one recruit was told at that time which was the truth that he was NO. 1 but after a visit his interest level fail the staff noticed it and moved on to the next guy.

A bunch of he said, she said without knowing which staff or coaches said what to whom.

Gives to much credit to a kid that has probably never seen a negotiation table except at the lemonade stand.

VN Store

Back