Pick Your Poison

Who is the One Acceptable Loss in an 11-1 Season?

• Total voters

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
So here's the scenario: Team 121 has an AMAZING season, an INCREDIBLE season, and we end up 11-1. And that one loss is NOT to Bama. We're headed to Atlanta.

That's all a lock.

The question is, who would you prefer the one loss be to? Which would hurt the least, under those circumstances? Remember, trip to Atlanta in December is a lock, so you don't have to figure East standings into your choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
dog that's a tough one, but gotta go with LSU...love always beating somebody in the West, but, rather lose to the West than anybody in the East or OOC...:)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 4 people
Wow great question and a tough one to answer. Here's my reasoning.

If you beat all the big dogs and take care of your business everyone will forgive you for taking a day off and dropping an easy game with your eyes to the next big game. KY is due a good year. I'm going KY. I think you will be forgiven for dropping KY in a season where they are expected to look good, and you play them at thier house.

Reactions: 1 person
Had to go GT.
They're the only good ooc and I focus on the big picture. Would always take an ooc loss over a conference loss and GT would be the least embarrassing.

Good/fun question JP.

Wow great question and a tough one to answer. Here's my reasoning.

If you beat all the big dogs and take care of your business everyone will forgive you for taking a day off and dropping an easy game with your eyes to the next big game. KY is due a good year. I'm going KY. I think you will be forgiven for dropping KY in a season where they are expected to look good, and you play them at thier house.

That would also oddly mirror the 1950 championship season, when we beat Kentucky (coached by Bear Bryant) but didn't win the conference because we'd lost earlier in the season to Mississippi State. In this scenario, we'd lose to Kentucky but win the division. Like a bookend. Pretty cool. Would be even cooler if we went on to win the national championship. 1950 and 2017 would then be forever linked in Vols history. :good!:

Going by the "well they're just more talented" criteria I'd say LSU.

Going by the "what would hurt us the least" criteria I'd say Georgia Tech.

Yeah GT is the other obvious answer and I almost answered that, but I sure as dookie don't want to start the season dealing with the negative comments and energy that would come from that. If you are on a tear and mid way through drop one I think you will be forgiven.

I voted GT.

In the OP's scenario, beating Bama, then a loss to GT then running the table would have in ATL and playing for a playoff berth. In that case, a loss in the 1st game with a new QB and GT's O would be easily forgiven.

Yeah GT is the other obvious answer and I almost answered that, but I sure as dookie don't want to start the season dealing with the negative comments and energy that would come from that. If you are on a tear and mid way through drop one I think you will be forgiven.

Good post but I answered what's best for the team, not concerned with VN posters. Let's be honest, 11-1 results in
"Can't believe we had a talented enough team to beat Bama but Lyle botched an easy win".
Their responses should never factor into our preferences,

I went with GT for the reasons already listed. Early season loss,nonconference,team finding itself,etc

GT. No other game is even close. Gives us the rest of the season to get over it.

I absolutely cannot handle a loss to LSU.

Sorry, I can't click on anything that suggests there's any such thing as an "acceptable" loss. But I agree with the others who have said a loss to GT would be the least damaging to our ambitions.

My aversion to Georgia Tech getting the win over us is mostly about Paul Johnson saying, not too long ago, that we should watch out, that the Yellow Jackets are "3-0 against the SEC."

So I'd hate to lose to him for that reason. Plus, I'd hate to give the ACC in general a leg up on the SEC for a second year in a row.

For those reasons, I'd keep the loss internal to the SEC. Not Florida, we need to get a streak going against them. Could be Kentucky, that'd be relatively painless seeing as how often we beat them up.

But I think I'd go with Georgia. It would hurt, not gonna lie, but it would probably hurt less than all the other choices.

... break/break ...

I find it illustrating that, so far, no one has chosen USCe. Muschamp is just such a jerk, no one is willing to suffer another loss to his smart mouth. Mizzou and Florida also have zero votes thus far. Could be a number of reasons for each of those....

I picked LSU since we would play them again (and beat them) in Atlanta. Turn that frown upside down, Rose Bowl/Sugar Bowl here we come.

Has to be tech. 1st game of the year so there will be plenty of time to put it behind us and it wouldn't hurt our SEC standings.

Sorry, I can't click on anything that suggests there's any such thing as an "acceptable" loss. But I agree with the others who have said a loss to GT would be the least damaging to our ambitions.

To be fair, "Pick your poison", is not really a rally cry for "lower your standards" or ""acceptable" loss".

Do you want to get bit by a rattle snake or a cotton mouth?

My choice is rattle snake.

Gotta be GT as much as I'd hate to start the season off with an L.

GT. Would love to have a perfect SEC record and the salt from UGA and UF fans who would mostly have us written off after week 1 would be hilarious.

VN Store

Back