Fulmer or Jones: To coach this team

IknoxvolsI

Okay fellow posters. Here is the debate/discussion. This season will mark a decade since Fulmer last coached. Jones, on the other hand walked into a terribly dismal situation (we all know this). With all things being equal, who do you think would have more success with this team this upcoming season.

There seems to still be alot of talk pertaining to Fulmer (obviously he left a large mark on the program). Even more talk about the job Butch has done turning the program around.

Personally, I don't know. I think they are both about even. If I had to offer an opinion, I would have to give Fulmer an edge, however slight. I think he may have been just a smudge better at playing to the teams strength.

Reactions: 2 people
if Butch comes out of the gate and blows it against GT, UF, and UGA, Fulmer will be on the sideline at Bryant-Denny and lead the Vols to victory in his first game back and break the streak.

if Butch comes out of the gate and blows it against GT, UF, and UGA, Fulmer will be on the sideline at Bryant-Denny and lead the Vols to victory in his first game back and break the streak.

He will work like heck to get it done.

This what happens when you stop feeding them. They're forced to try to feed themselves.

Reactions: 8 people
Honestly, this isn't even a comparable situation. Fulmer got lazy with recruiting and started going downhill real slowly. Going through Kiffin and Dooley after Fulmer's termination, set the program back even further.

This is when Butch was hired to clean up the mess whether it was fixing local high school relationships, recruiting, getting to a bowl game, and keeping the program out of trouble from the NCAA.

They both coached during different eras and both dealt with different issues of the program. A majority of the fanbase wanted Fulmer gone, now it's the other way around. If Butch can't get it done, I don't see any indication that Fulmer can do better either.

Reactions: 5 people
Head Coach: Robert Neyland
Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach: Lane Kiffin
OL Coach: Phillip Fulmer
RB Coach: Johnny Majors
WR Coach: Butch Jones
TE/ST Coach: Bill Battle

Reactions: 4 people
Here's my question- if you could shave two months off the offseason, but you had to be beaten like Josh Smith's roomate, woud you take it?

Reactions: 8 people
Tough comparison and almost impossible to answer.

Fulmer took over with an abundance of riches. He inherited what could honestly be called "the best staff in America" from Johnny Majors. He started off with one of the best QBs in college football. He took this situation, added some top-notch recruiting, and translated it into a championship. Fulmer was great at getting the best out of his assistanst as well. His downfall was that he was never as good with evaluation (coaches, players) as Johnny Majors and he could never replace Majors' coaching talent.

Butch took over the almost complete opposite situation. The program was in its worst shape since Majors took over in the mid 70s. We were a bottom-tier SEC team with a scarcity of talent. We had difficulty luring top coaches onto the staff. Butch came in, recruited like a madman, and built us back up. Whether he can coach us to the top, I don't know. I think he's slowly upgraded the coaching staff in many places (our D-staff in particular is the best looking on paper since the Chavis years.)

So it's really tough to say since Fulmer and Jones had completely different scenarios when they took over. Jones' situation is more comparable to Majors. You can certainly argue that Jones has had quicker success than Majors did.

This what happens when you stop feeding them. They're forced to try to feed themselves.

Yep. I've never used ignore before, afraid I might miss something good. Haha. But Im thinking about trying it out because I just don't care.

Reactions: 4 people
Okay fellow posters. Here is the debate/discussion. This season will mark a decade since Fulmer last coached. Jones, on the other hand walked into a terribly dismal situation (we all know this). With all things being equal, who do you think would have more success with this team this upcoming season.

There seems to still be alot of talk pertaining to Fulmer (obviously he left a large mark on the program). Even more talk about the job Butch has done turning the program around.

Personally, I don't know. I think they are both about even. If I had to offer an opinion, I would have to give Fulmer an edge, however slight. I think he may have been just a smudge better at playing to the teams strength.

While I will always admire and respect CPF for being a VFL....there is a reason no other college program hired him when he was canned. Think about it. Bobby Petrino got fired / quit how many times and UL took him right back...because he is a good coach...a scumball of a person but a good coach. GO VOLS. GO CBJ.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back