• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Playing with/against Vols

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
With a little more than 2 months to the GT game, the offseason threads will (thankfully) be coming to an end soon. I apologize if this has been discussed previously.

Who all in here has competed with or against current or former Vols in any athletic competition? Do you have any stories that you would like to share? I have a couple to share...

My first catch in my HS career came against Jackson Central Merry. I ran a little curl across the middle on 2nd and short and the ball was behind me but I ended up catching the ball and got the first down. Al Wilson was barreling towards me and the reason why I am probably still alive today is that my feet got "tangled up" (OK, I'll admit I went to the ground) before he got there.

My final catch in HS career was against Memphis Melrose where I caught a little short seam deep in our territory when I was hit by Andre Lott and Cedrick Wilson and a LB. Through no ability of my own, I essentially pinballed off all 3 guys and somehow stayed on my feet and I was off to the races (sarcasm noted, given my lack of speed). I was caught from behind by 2 DL that I had a 10 yard head start on.

I remember playing against a much younger Tony Harris in a summer basketball game once. At that point, I realized I had absolutely no future playing basketball.

Reactions: 19 people
That's pretty cool, OP. Some of the more cynical folks will probably not get it, but I like stories like that.

Reactions: 2 people
I used to play indoor soccer against Britton Colquitt while he was the punter at UT. Field was off campus, so I highly doubt the coaching staff was aware. He could absolutely crush the ball, but it was anyone's guess where it would actually go.

Reactions: 2 people
Not myself, but had a friend who played with Jordan McRae last week in Atlanta.

With a little more than 2 months to the GT game, the offseason threads will (thankfully) be coming to an end soon. I apologize if this has been discussed previously.

Who all in here has competed with or against current or former Vols in any athletic competition? Do you have any stories that you would like to share? I have a couple to share...

My first catch in my HS career came against Jackson Central Merry. I ran a little curl across the middle on 2nd and short and the ball was behind me but I ended up catching the ball and got the first down. Al Wilson was barreling towards me and the reason why I am probably still alive today is that my feet got "tangled up" (OK, I'll admit I went to the ground) before he got there.

My final catch in HS career was against Memphis Melrose where I caught a little short seam deep in our territory when I was hit by Andre Lott and Cedrick Wilson and a LB. Through no ability of my own, I essentially pinballed off all 3 guys and somehow stayed on my feet and I was off to the races (sarcasm noted, given my lack of speed). I was caught from behind by 2 DL that I had a 10 yard head start on.

I remember playing against a much younger Tony Harris in a summer basketball game once. At that point, I realized I had absolutely no future playing basketball.

Did you play in District 14-AAA, which is now Region 5A I believe?

Sound like we could be neighbors by the teams you played against and the timing.

I once threw some beer bottles with Bray to see how far we could throw them (see how many cars we could hit.) Loser had to get their last name tattooed on their back with stars as the background.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 people
Did you play in District 14-AAA, which is now Region 5A I believe?

Sound like we could be neighbors by the teams you played against and the timing.

For football purposes, was 4A classification for most of time before dropping to 3A. Bad timing for deep state runs since Haywood County and Melrose had some great teams during that era (Haywood had Corey Moore and Tyrone Hines, who was just before my time) and Melrose had 6-7 SEC caliber players.

Last edited:
Played PU BBALL games a few years ago with former OT Sean Young. Super cool guy BTW.

That's pretty cool, OP. Some of the more cynical folks will probably not get it, but I like stories like that.

I thought a thread without a poll or a discussion of Butch would be a positive change. I know I wasn't athletic so I can poke fun at myself. Heck, I scored fewer touchdowns in my career than Al Bundy did in the 1966 City Championship for Polk High. I think even Tebow scores more off the field than I ever did on the field.

Bonus story... (2 of them)

My brother's timing would have put him against Ramon Foster. Different positions but still a Vol connection.

My wife (from the DFW area) played in the same district and same position as Tamika Catchings and competed against Tamika in both basketball and volleyball. A few games after Tamika recorded the nation's first-recorded quintuple double, she almost repeated same feat against wife's team (she had at least 7 in all 5 of the categories). My wife nearly had the unfortunate triple double (points, rebounds, and turnovers committed). Even more unfortunate, me and Bobby Petrino both like volleyball players.

Reactions: 4 people
Back in the day as they say there were many more "local" guys on the team so I had the opportunity to play football with Carl Witherspoon and against Phil Pierce, Tim Townes, Jackie Walker, Neil Clabo and some others. Although Walker was an all american and Clabo became a NFL punter the guy I most admired was Townes. We were about the same size, 5'9" 165 soaking wet and I don't think he could have beat me in a foot race, but the guy was a force of nature. He was a walk on at UT and became an all SEC DB. Doubt anyone cares to read my "war" stories from 50 years ago so will leave it at that.

Reactions: 4 people
For football purposes, was 4A classification for most of time before dropping to 3A. Bad timing for deep state runs since Haywood County and Melrose had some great teams during that era (Haywood had Corey Moore and Tyrone Hines, who was just before my time) and Melrose had 6-7 SEC caliber players.

Ok, gotcha.

I was at Bartlett High when former Vol Ronald Davis was there 89-93 (He was 2 years ahead of me, I believe). Best athlete I've ever seen in person. Unbelievable, really. I thought I was a decent athlete until I saw him on the field, and then I knew my true place in the athletic world....a nobody. :eek:hmy:

The big name that I remember playing against was Curtis Alexander of Whitehaven. He went on to Bama as RB.

Then my younger brother got the pleasure of playing against Ahmad Galloway of Millington, who also went on to Bama as RB.

Reactions: 1 person
Totally weird / true story -
On campus in 1994 when I attended - A Vol QB named Todd Helton later to play 'MLB baseball' (whatever that is) was talking to a couple cute freshmen/sophmore girls that were throwing a Frisbee around trying to look good and get jocks to talk to them . He grabbed it and threw it literally 600 feet and walked away. I've never laughed so hard in my life.

Reactions: 7 people

Thank you for an awesome post!!! 😂

Tony was my era.
Played against John Henderson in bball at Pearl Cohn.

His team (Henderson) was beaten in the sub-state by JRM's dad Marcus (Clarksville NW).

Tony's team (East) won the state my junior year IIRC. Beat Clarksville High is the semis (Trenton Hassell and Shawn Marion). Both of those Clarksville schools were in the district I played in. It was a long time ago but Im pretty sure Marcus Maybin was committed to UT before going to Louisville and starting 4 years. Best athlete I ever played against.

Back in the day as they say there were many more "local" guys on the team so I had the opportunity to play football with Carl Witherspoon and against Phil Pierce, Tim Townes, Jackie Walker, Neil Clabo and some others. Although Walker was an all american and Clabo became a NFL punter the guy I most admired was Townes. We were about the same size, 5'9" 165 soaking wet and I don't think he could have beat me in a foot race, but the guy was a force of nature. He was a walk on at UT and became an all SEC DB. Doubt anyone cares to read my "war" stories from 50 years ago so will leave it at that.

To the contrary, I would enjoy hearing these war stories. Some impressive Vols that you listed.

I played intramural basketball vs Nate Sumpter back in the late 70s or early 80s when we were both at UT. He was a RB for the Vols. Nice guy. He probably schooled me but I really don't remember!

I once played in a pickup basketball game at the west side Y with former Vol and NY Jet Pat Ryan and Chris (?) Gettlefinger who snubbed the Vols to ride the pine at UK (but got at least one ring I believe). Pat Ryan was a very good player. Even though it wasn't his sport obviously, his athleticism was incredible. Gettlefinger was an obnoxious jerk who thought he was still battling for playing time.

Last edited:
I once played in a pickup basketball game at the west side Y with former Vol and NY Jet Pat Ryan and Chris (?) Gettlefinger who snubbed the Vols to ride the pine at UK (but got at least one ring I belive). Pat Ryan was a very good player. Even though it wasn't his sport obviously, his athleticism was incredible. Gettlefinger was an obnoxious jerk who thought he was still battling for playing time.

Thats great.

VN Store

Back