Vols' OC Larry Scott: Tennessee will go under center 'a little bit more'

Let's see, we can run 2 QBs, we can run both shotgun and under center, that's 4 times the offense a DC has to prepare for this year vs last year.

To think we have all summer to get razor sharp in all aspects of our offense. I like where this is heading.

Our offense need to to have the mind set that it's a race to 50. Let the chips fall.

I like our chances.

Reactions: 4 people
Great time to go under center right after you run off your star RB who could take the most advantage of it.

But I'm glad to see this.

Nobody "ran off" Hurd. He had an awful attitude and quit on his team, plus he would've left for the draft anyway had he not quit so it wouldn't matter either way.

Reactions: 65 people
Good. I hope to never see our offense in the shotgun at the goal line or at 3rd/4th and inches ever again.

Ditto. It was usually a head-scratcher when that situation would arise last season. Could bringing in some under-center sets back into the equation speaks to Scott's confidence in the O-line's development (i.e. maybe he doesn't see the QB needing the extra time/space to decide whether to chunk it or run for his life)?

Reactions: 1 person
Hopefully it means Scott has more leeway with the offense than Debord or Bajakian seemed to have during their time on staff.

Reactions: 2 people
Good. I hope to never see our offense in the shotgun at the goal line or at 3rd/4th and inches ever again.

A lot of people have said this, me being one. The issue is you have to practice taking snaps under center and the QB drops, footwork, and hand offs to running backs. All of those issues as well as audibles are different than shot gun. It takes consequential amounts of practice time or you're going to have muffed snaps and hand offs, turning or going the wrong way on running plays by the QB or RB and missed angles to the hole by the backs. But yes I don't like taking the ball off the line of scrimmage in short yardage plays. But by definition goal line and short yardage are crucial plays and you don't want to be in a formation where anyone has any doubts about their assignment or how to execute.

Reactions: 6 people
We are arriving now..

But this is good for short yardage situations. I doubt we will see it much more than that.

I have no problems with the I formation in selected instances. But it's not the overwhelming "go to" in short yardage situations as many believe.

Reactions: 2 people
That stuff about Hurd in the I-Formation was bull. If he really wanted to play in an I-Formation, he would have stayed at RB and gone somewhere that ran the I-Formation. Instead he changed positions altogther and left the conference and the Southeast. I call BS. He wanted out and wanted to start over. It may or may not have been issues with teammates or whatever. But either way, best of luck to him, and I'm just excited to see the RB's we do have. Definitely need some different looks under center, and Dormady would be great under center. Looking forward to seeing what Scott does as OC.

Great time to go under center right after you run off your star RB who could take the most advantage of it.

But I'm glad to see this.

He wasn't "run off".....he quit.

And going under the center more with our qb hardly portends a wholesale change in the running game to an I-formation. Seriously doubt that in any way is happening here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back