Latest Marvin West column

I think I agree with some of what this guy said, but it was written so poorly that I can't really be sure. The article is all over the place. All kidding aside, is this Marvin West guy becoming senile?

Reactions: 1 person
The law of averages implies that the defense has to be better, even without Derek Barnett. All we need are healthy tackles, dependable linebacking and defensive backs who look around now and then, just in case the football is aloft.
:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

Reactions: 6 people
I think I agree with some of what this guy said, but it was written so poorly that I can't really be sure. The article is all over the place. All kidding aside, is this Marvin West guy becoming senile?

"This guy" is Marvin West, a great sports writer for Knoxville newspapers for years. While this might not be his best effort, it contains facts & points to ponder. Unlike today's so-called "sports journalists", Mr. West doesn't digress into non-sports drivel. :ermm: GBO

Reactions: 5 people
"This guy" is Marvin West, a great sports writer for Knoxville newspapers for years. While this might not be his best effort, it contains facts & points to ponder. Unlike today's so-called "sports journalists", Mr. West doesn't digress into non-sports drivel. :ermm: GBO

Not many facts, mostly opinion and really poorly written and organized. So he may not digress into non-sports drivel, the piece itself could certainly be classified as sports related drivel.

Reactions: 2 people
"It is still debatable whether Butch Jones is good enough at football coaching to win championships in the big league. Could be titles are no longer necessary."

Stopped reading after that last sentence...

Marvin West is a legendary writer. It is a sign of the times that those that disagree feel it necessary to brand it as drivel. Opinions should be welcome. That is part of Free Speech that has been driven underground. Now opinions with which you agree are branded as news and accepted as fact. Others are shot down and dismissed. Learn from other views and build your own views rather than blindly accept what you're told to accept.

Reactions: 19 people
"It is still debatable whether Butch Jones is good enough at football coaching to win championships in the big league. Could be titles are no longer necessary."

Why? What has happened at UT this century that tells you winning championships is important? Just look on this board, many claim Butch is successful because he's better than Dooley.

We hope with Currie coming in the culture will change, but that remains to be seen.

Reactions: 12 people
Marvin West is a legendary writer. It is a sign of the times that those that disagree feel it necessary to brand it as drivel. Opinions should be welcome. That is part of Free Speech that has been driven underground. Now opinions with which you agree are branded as news and accepted as fact. Others are shot down and dismissed. Learn from other views and build your own views rather than blindly accept what you're told to accept.

This doesn't apply to my post. I agree with some of the points he is attempting to make. It's simply a terrible article overall and is close to being incoherent. It's almost like reading terrypedigo with punctuation.

Pure truth. No need to read more, he nailed it.

Reactions: 3 people
That was a bunch of drivel. Does he have a scientific poll to support words like "many" and "half"? I bet he also threw darts at Majors during the first few years and at the end.

I find it very interesting that almost immediately after the Vols get big booms in recruiting that automatically you see a bunch of reporters who feel the need to push the negativity.

To them nothing absolutely nothing can be positive about Tennessee football. They want to say they are telling it like it is - but ignore the positive. I guess because saying anything positive about the team would appear to be supportive of the current coaching staff.

Is Tennessee football where most would like it to be? NO. Is it as bad as these "so called reporters" in Knoxville make it out to be? NO. Is there hope in the future? YES.

Someone needs to be keeping a list and when Tennessee is at the top identify these bandwagon "folks" for what they really are.

Folks need to either rally and get behind this Tennessee football team or start wearing their true colors which isn't orange. This team hasn't even taken the field yet and folks are already calling them failures.

Reactions: 5 people
I earned a degree in journalism from UT. It is a poorly written article, regardless of content. Op-ed provides some latitude, but it reads more like a wanna be columnist on Volnation.

Why? What has happened at UT this century that tells you winning championships is important? Just look on this board, many claim Butch is successful because he's better than Dooley.

We hope with Currie coming in the culture will change, but that remains to be seen.

Butch has been successful because he has brought us to the point where we now are competing for the east title. If you're up there you gotta shot. Been a while since we can say that. Now if butch doesn't take the next step, we bring in a coach who Currie believes will take it.

It really is a good/important sentence. Are titles necessary in the eyes of the leadership on the Hill? Currie might be the only one who cares.

Butch has been successful because he has brought us to the point where we now are competing for the east title. If you're up there you gotta shot. Been a while since we can say that. Now if butch doesn't take the next step, we bring in a coach who Currie believes will take it.

That is precisely his point. You're calling that "success."

Reactions: 6 people
Some facts -

- It took Phil Fulmer 5 years to win the east; actually 5.5 if you give him the half year he coached.
- He won the east and SEC two years in a row, last year Peyton was on the team and first year Martin was on the team.
- He had teams in 3 other SEC championship games and lost all 3. So he won 2. I believe Majors won 3.
- In the 80 year span between 1933 and 2013 (when CBJ) took over Tennessee only won 13 SEC titles. That is 1 every six years.

I agree that Tennessee is long over due for a title. It has been 19 years spanning 4 coaches Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley and Jones - but history says 5 to 6 years for a coach at Tennessee to get a team to that level.

Reactions: 8 people
I really don't get why folks want to ignore history when making an argument. And when you consider that Saban is in the picture that skews everything - similar to how Bryant and Neyland did when they were in the picture.

Reactions: 4 people
I read this and think he's a VN poster, though not sure if he's a pumper or nega...

Makes valid, concerning points that are on everyone's minds...especially about DB's turning their heads when balls are in the air...

He makes some fair points and raises legitimate questions. He does use facts to support key opinions. Yes, these facts are negative, but that doesn't change their validity. He could have presented more positives, like recruiting and academics, to make it more balanced, but it's an opinion piece and his opinion is more negative than others.

He squarely hits a nerve, though, and pretty much defines the split in the fanbase. Most fans have picked their side and defend it vigorously.

And I was attending UT during the Major years - internet had not been born - but similar articles all the time back then. I bet some of these old timers can just pull past articles do a find / replace on names, change a few words here and there and article is ready.

I think our D will return to top 30-40 form. I think we'll be able to run the ball. To me, the difference between success and failure this year will be if QB can have precision on short/medium range passes and can WR's get early separation off the line for quick hit passes. It appears, if QD is the man, that the long ball is a strength. If this comes together, and the injury bug doesn't decimate us again, 2017 will be a good year.

He makes some fair points and raises legitimate questions. He does use facts to support key opinions. Yes, these facts are negative, but that doesn't change their validity. He could have presented more positives, like recruiting and academics, to make it more balanced, but it's an opinion piece and his opinion is more negative than others.

He squarely hits a nerve, though, and pretty much defines the split in the fanbase. Most fans have picked their side and defend it vigorously.

Truth is this fan base has always been divided. Some want what their brother Alabama has and always complains. They are only satisfied in the years Tennessee wins the SEC. All other years = fire the coach.

VN Store

Back