Kelly ready to shred SEC defenses

kamoshika

Kelly became a local standout playing two-ways for Oak Park, ultimately spurning Michigan and Michigan State to play tailback for the Vols. With his original dream tabled, Kelly simply used all that time on a 7"X28" board to his advantage in football. Countless hours had taught Kelly about balance, fearlessness and patience. “When you’d be at the top just looking down at 13 stairs and be like, ‘Whoa. That’s a lot of stairs,’ you just have to just forget about it all and just go for it,” Kelly said. "That’s just how I think when I run the ball. The gap isn’t always going to be there, but when it is you can’t hesitate. You have to just go for it. It taught me how to fall. I don’t want to just face-plant every time I get hit.”

...Looking back, Kelly admits his teammates viewed him differently than other players on offense even before he bloomed last year. There was something about him. Behind the scenes, Kelly emerged as a leader long before anyone had actually anointed him to be one. He practiced hard, was positive yet honest, and ultimately, his Energizer Bunny spirit helped calm a chaotic locker room. Kelly's communication skills — something he credits from years spent around skateboarding's vibrant culture and ethnicities — allowed him to connect with teammates of all backgrounds.

“He’s just an exciting runner,” senior offensive lineman Brett Kendrick said last fall. He’s fun to watch. He runs so hard. As an offensive lineman, that’s all you can ask for. He gives us a lot of praise and thanks us. It’s kind of locker room stuff.”

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/x-gamechanger-

Reactions: 18 people
Hurd didn't shred SEC Defenses, SEC Defenses shredded him. Kelly is the complete opposite. Hard nosed runner with great quickness and seems ready to take on the leadership role.

Reactions: 3 people
John Kelly will lead the SEC in rushing. Break the all-time school record for rushing yards in a season. And be a Heisman finalist.

That's how much faith I have in this kid and this team.

He's in for a special season.

Reactions: 13 people
John Kelly will lead the SEC in rushing. Break the all-time school record for rushing yards in a season. And be a Heisman finalist.

Well crap. There goes Kelly's career.

Reactions: 37 people

Based on your prior predictions, I'm now praying to God that our passing game is the greatest in history, or we're in trouble 😬

Reactions: 10 people

I have a school record prediction as well except it's not Kelly. It's Jennings getting the receiving yards for a season. Hope either of us are right.

Reactions: 5 people
He ready...

DFqsUIqVwAIsdrN.jpg

Reactions: 10 people
Well crap. There goes Kelly's career.

I don' know about all of that. If you look at last year and his limited touches behind Hurd and Kamara, and the guy still ends up with what, over 700 yards?

Sorry if I'm wrong with my numbers, but if I'm right, this guy could really be something this year.

Reactions: 2 people
With the experience we have on the offensive line it could be a great year for Kelly! Excited to see him in action week to week!

Good Lord D4H, sometimes you really do surprise, just not this time:eek:lol:

Reactions: 4 people
Kelly may have to carry the Vols, if they are going to win 8-9 games this year, God forbid an injury to John Kelly, it could get ugly rather quickly, don't you think?
Go Vols

Reactions: 1 person

If he can be a Cobb, Webb, Lewis, Henry, Stephenson, Hardesty type back, then yes.

If he is a Riggs, Houston, Greer, Howard type back, then no.

Remember, hype (Hurd) doesn't mean you are good!

If he can be a Cobb, Webb, Lewis, Henry, Stephenson, Hardesty type back, then yes.

If he is a Riggs, Houston, Greer, Howard type back, then no.

Remember, hype (Hurd) doesn't mean you are good!

Doesn't this guy remind a little of Henry--5'9"--212 lbs....Cheese. Cheese could pound out some yards. Kelly reminds me a little of that blue collar mentality.

Reactions: 3 people

"Which brings me to my next lesson, don't smoke crack!"

Reactions: 5 people
The Running backs got messed up last year, with all the stuff with JH. Kamara did an amazing job of stepping up as did JK. Now with a year to clearly define new roles, a more seasoned OL, I hope we see a better running game. I know this much, if JK gets a little room, just a little, he will be gone! Also looking forward to seeing Chandler, Jordan, and Fils Aimee. Going to be interesting to see who emerges.

People try very hard to come up with off-season threads that excite the soul of VolNation, but you gotta hand it to D4H. He can get the populace fired up with one quick comment. Bless his little heart.

:lolabove:

Kelly4Heisman name change soon?

VN Store

Back