UT's First Female Cheerleader Passes

BucksnortVol

Mrs Fay Griffin Whittaker, age 95, passed away Sunday, July, 23 in Bradenton, FL. Mrs Whittaker was UT's first female cheerleader, joining the cheer squad in 1939. Before that time our cheerleaders we're all males. Mrs Whittaker was a graduate of Knoxville Central High School and UT. She served as a US Naval Officer, WAVE, in World War II. She retained her devotion to everything Vol all her long and lovely life, and will be buried in a bright orange casket. Rest in Peace Mrs Griffith, another VFL has earned her wings.

Reactions: 37 people
"...and will be buried in a bright orange casket."

VFL and THEN some!

God Speed Mrs. Whittaker...

Reactions: 1 person
Damn, what a great life.... The WW2 generation might never be matched.

Part of her obit:
Fay Griffin Whittaker

Bradenton, FL

Fay Griffin Whittaker, age 95, a 45 year resident of Bradenton, passed away on July 23, 2017 at Westminster Communities of Bradenton.

She was born November 17, 1921 in Ft. Lewis, Washington to Schenk Henry and Mary Castleman Griffin. She met the love of her life, Col. Roy E.Whittaker, who predeceased her after 49 years of marriage, at Knoxville High School and they attended the University of Tennessee together. They were both devoted Tennessee Volunteer fans, and she was one of the first 2 women elected cheerleaders at UT in 1939 when the cheerleading squads were all male at that time. She went to the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl cheering on the Big Orange. Fay was a Home Economics Teacher at Southeast High School in Bradenton and also a long-time real estate sales associate with Scholfield Realty in Bradenton. Her life married to a USAF pilot spanned many countries and US States prior to retiring in Bradenton, Florida. Fay was a devoted and dedicated mother, grandmother, great grandmother, great-great grandmother and friend to many and they were her strength and blessings in life.

She is survived by her four children, Roy Whittaker, Jr. of Bradenton, FL, Dianne (Phil) Davidson of Lawrenceville, GA, Jeffrey G. (Julie) Whittaker of Bradenton, FL, and Susanne (Bruce) Staples of The Villages, FL, as well as her fifteen grandchildren, twenty-two great grandchildren, three great-great-grandchildren and several nieces.

Reactions: 7 people
Damn, what a great life.... The WW2 generation might never be matched.

Part of her obit:
Fay Griffin Whittaker

Bradenton, FL

Fay Griffin Whittaker, age 95, a 45 year resident of Bradenton, passed away on July 23, 2017 at Westminster Communities of Bradenton.

She was born November 17, 1921 in Ft. Lewis, Washington to Schenk Henry and Mary Castleman Griffin. She met the love of her life, Col. Roy E.Whittaker, who predeceased her after 49 years of marriage, at Knoxville High School and they attended the University of Tennessee together. They were both devoted Tennessee Volunteer fans, and she was one of the first 2 women elected cheerleaders at UT in 1939 when the cheerleading squads were all male at that time. She went to the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl cheering on the Big Orange. Fay was a Home Economics Teacher at Southeast High School in Bradenton and also a long-time real estate sales associate with Scholfield Realty in Bradenton. Her life married to a USAF pilot spanned many countries and US States prior to retiring in Bradenton, Florida. Fay was a devoted and dedicated mother, grandmother, great grandmother, great-great grandmother and friend to many and they were her strength and blessings in life.

She is survived by her four children, Roy Whittaker, Jr. of Bradenton, FL, Dianne (Phil) Davidson of Lawrenceville, GA, Jeffrey G. (Julie) Whittaker of Bradenton, FL, and Susanne (Bruce) Staples of The Villages, FL, as well as her fifteen grandchildren, twenty-two great grandchildren, three great-great-grandchildren and several nieces.

Wow. Just wow.

She sure did get to witness some great football as a cheerleader. Our program's best ever. Rest in Peace Miss Fay.

The more I learn about WW2 and what our brave people did so selflessly to fight evil, the more sad I become when a hero passes.

Reactions: 3 people
I salute you, Mrs. Whittaker.

Please put in a good word for our Vols this season.

The more I learn about WW2 and what our brave people did so selflessly to fight evil, the more sad I become when a hero passes.

WWII was the last war that united our country. Everyone, including civilians, pulled together to do their part in the war effort. Every war since has been met with a divided public. Our soldiers are no less heroic, but the citizenry has taken to protest. I have no problem with this as long as it's kept political. I get upset when it crosses to disrespecting our brave fighting men and women.

Sorry to go a bit off topic. RIP Mrs. Whittaker.

Reactions: 4 people
I was saving my 1000th post for something special and Mrs. Fay sure sounds special to me.

RIP Fay.

Reactions: 5 people
That lady got a lot out of life. Good for her! Amazing

Thoughts and prayers to those she left.

never be another like the people who were born in the early years...their molds will never be filled again...:salute:...:peace2:

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found this in a program from 1941; I'm not sure if she's one of the two girls...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 7.00.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 7.00.26 PM.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2

VN Store

Back