Is the hurryup offense really good for us

jctenn1

I was just wondering what everyone thought about us taking 70 plus snaps a game on offense.Yes I do know if we are moving the ball it is hard on defenses..But if we go 3 and out like we have before to me it is hard on our defense..And I think sometimes we give up big plays because of it..I think a mix of it would be good to give our defense some rest every now and then..

Seemed like the UT version of Hurryup is Hurry to line of scrimmage then QB stares at sideline for 5 minutes waiting on play call!?!?!

:blink::blink::banghead2::banghead2:

Reactions: 17 people
I was just wondering what everyone thought about us taking 70 plus snaps a game on offense.Yes I do know if we are moving the ball it is hard on defenses..But if we go 3 and out like we have before to me it is hard on our defense..And I think sometimes we give up big plays because of it..I think a mix of it would be good to give our defense some rest every now and then..

It's who you've chosen to be. You're a high octane act that wants to put the premium on the hurry up/spread em out, offensive side of the ball. For a SEC team that is historically rooted on an elite defense, that has got to smart.

no its not good, especially like last year when our defense couldn't stop anyone, they were gassed the whole game cause our offense was 3 and out in 1:10.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think we run it as much this year.. LS also said we would see some single back formations this year.. guess jalen left a tad bit to early

Reactions: 1 person
(1) We didn't typically employ hurry-up in 2016. No-huddle, sure. But usually not Hurry-up.

(2) We didn't typically go 3-and-out last year. Our offense was usually pretty potent. 3-and-out was a bigger problem in 2015, and even more of one in 2014 and beyond. 2016 was statistically one of the best offensive years in the history of our program.

(3) The hurry-up offenses in 2016 were running 85+ snaps/game on O. Six teams ran at that pace, led by Houston.

(4) At 72.4 snaps/game, the Volunteers were #71 out of 128 Div I teams in number off offensive plays per game average. So actually we're one of the more relaxed pace teams out there. The game has generally picked up that much, for everyone.

So bottom line is, I don't think we're a hurry-up team at all (though we were more of one in 2015, at 77.6 snaps/game).

SOURCE: https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
It's who you've chosen to be. You're a high octane act that wants to put the premium on the hurry up/spread em out, offensive side of the ball. For a SEC team that is historically rooted on an elite defense, that has got to smart.

And, that's actually just wrong. That's not who we are at all. All you got right there was the spread. We do run spread formations generally.

The Vols and Tide run our offenses at about the same rate: 72.9 snaps/game for the pachyderms, and 72.6 snaps/game for Tennessee (in 2016).

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
It was really dumb to run the hurry up once our D got so injured. Vandy feasted on that mistake and ran up, down, and through us. When your D is banged up the best solution is to have as many long grinding offensive plays as possible.

Last edited:
The game against Florida was a perfect example of why getting a lot of snaps can wear people out. We shot ourselves in the foot a lot in the first half but we just kept on speeding the game up. By the end of the 3rd quarter Florida was done because they could not get subs on the field. They were gasping and we were slicing them up.

Reactions: 3 people
It's simple game, run the ball a lot, pass it a little, control the clock and score.
Make sure you have a solid kicking game, chances are good you'll win quite a few games.

You dont need Chip Kelly speed hockey, I hate that offense and so do the officials. It's impossible to keep up with.

70 points a game...meh

I hate the hurry up offense at all levels of the game. Doesn't eat enough clock and increases the likelihood of injuries.

Studies have shown the opposite on injuries. The increased pace of play decreases the rate of injury as players are more tired and slower thus not hitting each other as hard, resulting in less injuries.

Hell I'm just not a fan of Butch's style of offense in general. Never have been and never will. I know full well he's not changing it and I know it can be a potent and explosive, but that doesn't change my opinion. That being said I hope we like hell we average 40 points a game this season.

GBO

The only reason to run a no huddle is if you have 11 guys you can leave on the field for an extended period of time which takes away/limits the ability of the defense to substitute.

Our problem last year was we ran a no huddle but I constantly saw us allowing the defense to substitute. We should snap the ball and catch them with too many men on the field and steal five yards every time they do ( assuming we haven't subbed).

If we substitute, I don't see the benefit of no huddle.

And, that's actually just wrong. That's not who we are at all. All you got right there was the spread. We do run spread formations generally.

And taking it a step forward, this season, where is the power coming from? Not from #1 or #11. Instead the trade off will be a Dormady, who has very little of Dobb's size or running ability and certainly no Hurd to get the short yardage that means everything to sustain drives and run some semblance of clock.

So, what will happen to compensate for the personnel change? Even more passes, screens, slants, dump offs and even a quicker pace. Kelly is light in the pants and he'll take what's there, but he ain't opening stuff like Hurd. Your defense is going to once again need all the good health and depth it can get its hands on. They will be there a while.

And taking it a step forward, this season, where is the power coming from? Not from #1 or #11. Instead the trade off will be a Dormady, who has very little of Dobb's size or running ability and certainly no Hurd to get the short yardage that means everything to sustain drives and run some semblance of clock.

So, what will happen to compensate for the personnel change? Even more passes, screens, slants, dump offs and even a quicker pace. Kelly is light in the pants and he'll take what's there, but he ain't opening stuff like Hurd. Your defense is going to once again need all the good health and depth it can get its hands on. They will be there a while.

Oh, having completely blown your first salvo, now you wanna actually talk football. Heh.

So let's talk football. Think you're going to be surprised by the Vols offense this season. You're describing panicked frenzy. You think having lost Dobbs (and Hurd? Really? Did you not pay any attention to our team or even these boards from last October on?), anyway, you think having lost Dobbs, we're going to be desperately casting about for some way of generating an offense.

I think you need to keep an eye on us. Might just surprise you. And it won't feel frenzied. :)

Our offense actually slowed down a good bit last year from the 2 previous years.....76 plays per game in 2014, 76 plays per game in 2015, 69 plays per game in 2016

Oh, having completely blown your first salvo, now you wanna actually talk football. Heh.

So let's talk football. Think you're going to be surprised by the Vols offense this season. You're describing panicked frenzy. You think having lost Dobbs (and Hurd? Really? Did you not pay any attention to our team or even these boards from last October on?), anyway, you think having lost Dobbs, we're going to be desperately casting about for some way of generating an offense.

I think you need to keep an eye on us. Might just surprise you. And it won't feel frenzied. :)

Didn't say that at all. I said the trade off will be even more of an airborne attack. Your running game won't be about execution, but even more about deception. Nothing downhill about that. Wrong conference to try and finesse your way through it.

Didn't say that at all. I said the trade off will be even more of an airborne attack. Your running game won't be about execution, but even more about deception. Nothing downhill about that. Wrong conference to try and finesse your way through it.

Don't be so sure about that. Though he's not big like Hurd or Fournette, John Kelly is pretty good about keeping himself aimed downhill. He's not nearly as much of a sideways scatback style runner as his size would seem to indicate.

At least, that's how it appeared to me in the 600-some yards he ran last year. He's a very good-looking back, will surprise some folks in the SEC this fall.

As for a more potent passing game, yes, I hope you're right. All of us here do. And there are some indicators that you might just be. We might have a passing game that would make Peyton proud, this season. We'll have to wait and see.

Go Vols!

Truth be told we didn't run the hurry up much last year or any of the time Butch has been here. There has been times when you can catch the D being winded and they hit the accelerator but we haven't had the depth on either side of the ball to rotate guys just as good as the starters in and out to run the hurry up consistently. We were by no means a slow team or use the clock as our ally type team but injuries,lack of depth or lack of elite players 2-3 deep hasn't allowed us to consistently be a 100 plays on offense a game type team. And don't see it happening this year either especially with 3 inexperienced QB's.

Don't be so sure about that. Though he's not big like Hurd or Fournette, John Kelly is pretty good about keeping himself aimed downhill. He's not nearly as much of a sideways scatback style runner as his size would seem to indicate.

At least, that's how it appeared to me in the 600-some yards he ran last year. He's a very good-looking back, will surprise some folks in the SEC this fall.

As for a more potent passing game, yes, I hope you're right. All of us here do. And there are some indicators that you might just be. We might have a passing game that would make Peyton proud, this season. We'll have to wait and see.

Go Vols!

Kelly's not running the ball downhill out of the spread. Neither did Hurd, who was totally misused against us in Knoxville. He had to be out of his mind by the end of that game. Constantly being spread wide in running situations. Or asked to catch balls in space in the flats or flares. Our quick defensive guys were eating him up in space before he could even think of gaining some momentum.

Put Hurd in the I formation, let him run downhill and suddenly his God given talent and genetic advantages become the order of the day. Size and speed can be a ***** in the 4th quarter. Ask your defense after our game.

Go Vols!

You're absolutely right about JK. Even being a good bit smaller than Hurd he ran much more physical than Hurd ever thought about being. And JK is a good sized RB especially his frame. He is definitely a violent runner with some speed and don't see him intentionally trying to avoid contact like we saw from a damn 240lb RB in Hurd. We definitely should be a much more potent passing team with a lot more HR type deep passes. Dobb's hit more last season than he did his first 3 years but he did still struggle at times with consist middle and deep passes. What helped him was the ability to take off and run for 70 yards and many times had wide open receivers running down field. Dormady and JG will both be passing upgrades and will help out their receivers with better accuracy. What helped Josh's completion % was what helped him his entire time here and that's the short screens,the passes to RB's, the toss to the receivers in motion that he just tossed forward as he said hike and them being set in motion. He definitely was better last year as a passer but he would have games he would throw for 300-325+ and hit % and kinda pad his stats and others he wouldn't throw but 200 yards or less and his % would be in the 50% range. We need and will get more consistency in the pass game but most likely won't have the 70-100 yard rushing games out of the QB. But that just opens up more touch's for the running backs which is why you choose to play RB at TN.

Go Vols!

You're absolutely right about JK. Even being a good bit smaller than Hurd he ran much more physical than Hurd ever thought about being. And JK is a good sized RB especially his frame. He is definitely a violent runner with some speed and don't see him intentionally trying to avoid contact like we saw from a damn 240lb RB in Hurd. We definitely should be a much more potent passing team with a lot more HR type deep passes. Dobb's hit more last season than he did his first 3 years but he did still struggle at times with consist middle and deep passes. What helped him was the ability to take off and run for 70 yards and many times had wide open receivers running down field. Dormady and JG will both be passing upgrades and will help out their receivers with better accuracy. What helped Josh's completion % was what helped him his entire time here and that's the short screens,the passes to RB's, the toss to the receivers in motion that he just tossed forward as he said hike and them being set in motion. He definitely was better last year as a passer but he would have games he would throw for 300-325+ and hit % and kinda pad his stats and others he wouldn't throw but 200 yards or less and his % would be in the 50% range. We need and will get more consistency in the pass game but most likely won't have the 70-100 yard rushing games out of the QB. But that just opens up more touch's for the running backs which is why you choose to play RB at TN.

no its not good, especially like last year when our defense couldn't stop anyone, they were gassed the whole game cause our offense was 3 and out in 1:10.

That really wasn't why we ran very little hurry up last season. What hurt us just as much as anything would be the times we couldn't buy a first down and going through numerous 3 and outs of our own.T hat will hurt you more than anything.

VN Store

Back