Is QB really the key?

Other_Guy

foolishFool
I think Dormady will be ok. I'm excited to see him and the WRs, even though I know there is still some consistency issues. However, is the key to UT winning the East/having a successful year all about how he plays?
I think J Kelly is going to be a nice back, but he is still unproven and what's behind him (while looking down the road looks quite promising) is what concerns me (us, I'm assuming) even more so. Sure, the OL is supposed to be the strength but I'm concerned that if the offense fails it won't be about Dormady so much as it will be a lack of run game. Dobbs wasn't a superb passer, but back2back 9 win seasons and setting records was all about the run. Am I too worried about the RB position?

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, unless you're Alabama and have enough great talent everywhere that you can have a true Freshman with limited arm talent take you to a national title game.

Reactions: 3 people
I think the offense will be there. I am more worried the defense if we're talking about having a successful year. JMO tho

Reactions: 2 people
I think the offense will be there. I am more worried the defense if we're talking about having a successful year. JMO tho

I agree, gotta have that D up to par. I'm actually pretty split on which side I'm more concerned about, because altho O has more questions, I'm not sure if the D is going to be good enough to carry them to Atlanta.
BUT I was mostly talking offense, or which POSITION is key... I think it's more the RB than QB.

We've got the best O line in the conference and two of the top 8 RBs in the conference along with a better passer than last year. We've got a boat load of speed and depth at receiver. I'm not sure what you're worried about?

I think Dormady will be ok. I'm excited to see him and the WRs, even though I know there is still some consistency issues. However, is the key to UT winning the East/having a successful year all about how he plays?
I think J Kelly is going to be a nice back, but he is still unproven and what's behind him (while looking down the road looks quite promising) is what concerns me (us, I'm assuming) even more so. Sure, the OL is supposed to be the strength but I'm concerned that if the offense fails it won't be about Dormady so much as it will be a lack of run game. Dobbs wasn't a superb passer, but back2back 9 win seasons and setting records was all about the run. Am I too worried about the RB position?

I think you are too worried about RB, OG. I think John Kelly is absolutely solid, and might have a Travis Stephens level performance this year. And sounds like we have some really talented freshmen backing him up. So think we're ok.

I think the offense is all about how the QBs do. Having said that, a significant part of how they do will depend on how the OL does. So that comes first.

We have the WR talent. We have the RBs. If we can get our blocking up to championship caliber, and our new QB settles in quickly and shines, this offense is going to light things up.

I'm actually more worried about whether the defense comes on like a true Shoop defense this fall. That's point of interest #1 for me, the biggest unknown.

Go Vols!

I don't think our offense will put up quite as many points this year, but I think it will be good enough.

I'm worried about our front 7 on defense. We just can't keep getting gashed this year like we were last year. If Georgia Tech puts up crazy stats on us, I think we're going to be in for a long year

Yes, unless you're Alabama and have enough great talent everywhere that you can have a true Freshman with limited arm talent take you to a national title game.

Like it or not I think Bama may not have the offense and QB development they've gotten used to without Kiffen. Bama had offensive issues and lost a title game to Meyer before Kiffen arrived. Since he was there offense was not their issue in most losses. I recall his development of Crompton and that was no accident and believe the guy is a pretty good OC. Head coach? He may still be in over his head there but it would surprise me not for Bama to struggle a little in big games offensively this year.

Like it or not I think Bama may not have the offense and QB development they've gotten used to without Kiffen. Bama had offensive issues and lost a title game to Meyer before Kiffen arrived. Since he was there offense was not their issue in most losses. I recall his development of Crompton and that was no accident and believe the guy is a pretty good OC. Head coach? He may still be in over his head there but it would surprise me not for Bama to struggle a little in big games offensively this year.

Ya'll know they changed out as many coaches as we did this year and we beat them in recruiting right. Saban is history.

Yes. Good qb play can elevate a bad team and bad qb play can bring down a good/great team. All things being equal, qb play is the key.

Evan Berry will get some touches on offense, he's such a threat with the football in his hands. :yes:

My only big worry is that we don't see a repeat of last year's injury bug. My only other real concern is will we have enough depth at DT if Shy ends up not coming back this season.

QB is A key, but I think the biggest key is good overall team health. And we're due a healthy season!

GBO!

Dormady has to be more than just a "game manager" for us to do big things like #1 Win the East 2.Win SEC or Bowl 3.Win 1 or 2 in playoff. On a stacked team, a GM can be enough (see Bama 08-17). We are not THAT stacked, but we have the best top to bottom abiliity of the Jones' era IMO. We have what looks to be great cohesion. We have few "stars" that cause everyone else to depend on them too much. But, we are not head and shoulders above our opponents right now.
Therefore, our QB must be able to make a lot of plays, put up good #s, keep run Ds honest, and also manage well. Without that it will be a mediocre season IMO.
Dormady certainly has the ability, and if JG beats him out, then I'll take better.

Ya'll know they changed out as many coaches as we did this year and we beat them in recruiting right. Saban is history.

I swear dude, you've gotta be the biggest troll on VN, hands down. I shouldn't even respond, should just ignore you, roll on past your posts, but I can't help myself.....

1. Alabama "changed out" 3 coaches (their OC, WR coach and TE coach). Tennessee "changed out" 6 (OC, WR coach, OL coach, DL coach, DB coach and Strength Coach....7 if you wanna call adding a QB coach a change to the staff, which it technically is).

2. We beat Bama in recruiting this year? Really? Alabama finished #1 according to 247, Rivals, Scout and ESPN....Tennessee was #17, 15, 16 and 15 respectively.

Evan Berry will get some touches on offense, he's such a threat with the football in his hands. :yes:

Hasn't in 3 years yet, why would that change now? 1 offensive play from scrimmage for 6 yards in 29 games played.

Last edited:

I'm worried about the running backs. We have JK, Ty Chandler, and this three star from Florida is raving about! We came out last year and ran for a total of 127 yards last year against App St. If we do that to QD, we are in big trouble!!

Alabama has never played Ohio State in a NC game. In 2014 when Bama lost to Ohio State in the semifinals, Kiffin was our OC of record. I would be happy to address the other errors in your analysis but it's just a lot more of the same.

If by the title you mean SECCG in 2008, McElwain was still the OC in 2009 and gave Meyers an emotional breakdown in a rematch. Then McElwain again was our OC in 2011 when Alabama won a NC in the beatdown of LSU.

Quarterback is always the key, along with the offensive line, and the defense. The "key" this year is we have reason to believe the offensive line will be good if not great, and defense will be very good, barring major injuries.

We hope/believe the passing game will be better because the Dobbs was a great player but not a great passer. I believe either will be better. But we have not seen that yet, and stranger things have happened than having a bust at quarterback. I am VERY optimistic that we are going to be better and surprise a lot of people. But I am an optimist when it comes to the VOLS. We shall see.

VN Store

Back