And yet another prediction article...

Crazy Ivan

Carpe Jugulum
Reading the article from Vegas Synergy predicting the 2017 Vols makes me wonder if Vegas is any better than the rest of the bloggers out there at doing its homework.

The article is linked on the front page of VN, but here is the link.

https://news.wagertalk.com/2017-tennessee-volunteers-predictions

AREAS TO WATCH: 14 starters return. The offense played well under departed QB Joshua Dobbs but turned the ball over 21 times in SEC play. The new QB won’t be as accurate but the run game looks solid.

Seriously? QD or JG won't be as accurate as Dobbs? Based on what exactly?

I’m concerned about the talent (average) and depth (below average) at WR.

Again, seriously? Inexperienced at both starter and depth is my only real concern at WR. Talent is not one of my concerns at all. We have a boatload of unproven talent waiting to explode at WR. And I thought we in QD for sure we have a QB who can get the ball to those guys.

’17 PREVIEW: Tennessee was 4-0 out of the SEC in ’16 and could repeat that mark with home games vs. Indiana State, UMass and Southern Miss and the opener vs. GT in Atlanta.

Well, technically we were 5-0 out of the gate, but this season I am pretty sure the gators are our 3rd game of the season and we don't play USM until Nov. 4. However, I will certainly be happy with a 4-0 start which would include a 2nd straight victory over the gators.

Pretty sloppily written overall if you ask me. But seems to be par for the courses with prediction articles.

Reactions: 6 people
Listen to me carefully... you don't hear vols talking for a reason. There is a reason the media doesn't know what to make of us. They don't know what they are talking about and just repeat what others tell them for money, and Butch has cut it all off. #RBMISAV

Reactions: 10 people
they just dont know any of our players. The vols are really under the radar and nobody knows. They are still a really talented team with a shot to surprise. Cant take these writers seriously bc they arent around the team and dont know anybody on the team.

Reactions: 3 people
So, where does that assumption come from or do you do what everybody else in the media does -- create some s--- and throw it on the wall and see what sticks, which is what I see happening everywhere?

Pretty much how all media (not just sports) operates anymore.

Reactions: 8 people
d67d5d2af4ff10d5899cd3d7d177d90a.jpg

Reactions: 15 people
Keep your eye on the Defense....

Oops, we scored 50 on you, sorry, guess you were looking in the wrong place. LOL

Been a Vol fan for a long time and this is setting up to be a Tennessee type of year. Overlooked, underestimated, disrespected...all while folks around the program know that there's a lot of talent on the team, we've reloaded at many of the positions where outsiders see a drop off, and the defense is poised for a huge leap forward if they can avoid the unusual injury bug of 2016. Seen this many times. Sometime in November a sports reporter will say "Tennessee has come out of nowhere and surprised everyone." No...not everyone. Just those who weren't paying attention.

Reactions: 18 people
Quote:
’17 PREVIEW: Tennessee was 4-0 out of the SEC in ’16 and could repeat that mark with home games vs. Indiana State, UMass and Southern Miss and the opener vs. GT in Atlanta.
Well, technically we were 5-0 out of the gate, but this season I am pretty sure the gators are our 3rd game of the season and we don't play USM until Nov. 4. However, I will certainly be happy with a 4-0 start which would include a 2nd straight victory over the gators.

In this part, I assume they meant that outside of SEC play, we were 4-0. Not that we started off the season 4-0. He's only listing the non SEC games there. Other then that, I agree they aren't really looking at the new qb's that much if they think that either of those can't be more accurate then Dobbs. Also the WR will be good.

Reactions: 2 people
Been a Vol fan for a long time and this is setting up to be a Tennessee type of year. Overlooked, underestimated, disrespected...all while folks around the program know that there's a lot of talent on the team, we've reloaded at many of the positions where outsiders see a drop off, and the defense is poised for a huge leap forward if they can avoid the unusual injury bug of 2016. Seen this many times. Sometime in November a sports reporter will say "Tennessee has come out of nowhere and surprised everyone." No...not everyone. Just those who weren't paying attention.

I would almost guarantee that half of the media couldn't name 5 of our 14 returning starters either. Especially Booger. He's such a dumba$$.

Reactions: 4 people
That's what happens when you have a team that previously should've gone 10-2 or 11-1 that went 8-4 and has now lost play makers on both sides of the ball. Perception is going to be down, for the same reason everyone thinks UF will be good this year - they did it last year.

These guys aren't factoring in the rash of injuries or complete overhaul of the coaching staff. And that's the grey area. We could very easily go 5-7 or 9-3 and anywhere in between. But since we showed we couldn't get it done last year why would anyone (outside the program) think we'd get it done this year?

That's what happens when you have a team that previously should've gone 10-2 or 11-1 that went 8-4 and has now lost play makers on both sides of the ball. Perception is going to be down, for the same reason everyone thinks UF will be good this year - they did it last year.

These guys aren't factoring in the rash of injuries or complete overhaul of the coaching staff. And that's the grey area. We could very easily go 5-7 or 9-3 and anywhere in between. But since we showed we couldn't get it done last year why would anyone (outside the program) think we'd get it done this year?

exactly, when you lay eggs against Vandy and SCjr with the team we had last year, as an objective journalist, not a fan of UT, how in the world would you predict this team to have more than 8 wins.

You could easily argue losses to Bama, UF, LSU, UGA, anyone saying that they can honestly pencil any of these games in as sure wins is delusional at best. We can win them, but to say we will for sure is nuts.

Reactions: 1 person
If it rains 2 Wednesdays out of every month, would you say that you could accurately predict that it might rain on Wednesday?

When writing articles about sports, and trying to predict an outcome, you have a 50% at being right or wrong

You have to take into consideration of what has happened in the past when trying to make the prediction

Vol fans, and most fans of any team cant handle anything negative concerning their team.

Just like last year, people on here were saying to cool your jets on the season, but everyone was like " no, we gonna win it all. Even the media sees it"

Now, you all are all over the same people who you were sucking up to last year because they finally realised that maybe ole Butch Jones aint got what it takes to win the East, forget winning a NC

Now, I fully expect to read all kinds of posts berating my opinion because I didnt get in the Jim Jones Koolaid line. I dont care!!

Now, lets just let it play out on the field and we will really see who got the best side of 50%

If it rains 2 Wednesdays out of every month, would you say that you could accurately predict that it might rain on Wednesday?

When writing articles about sports, and trying to predict an outcome, you have a 50% at being right or wrong

You have to take into consideration of what has happened in the past when trying to make the prediction

Vol fans, and most fans of any team cant handle anything negative concerning their team.

Just like last year, people on here were saying to cool your jets on the season, but everyone was like " no, we gonna win it all. Even the media sees it"

Now, you all are all over the same people who you were sucking up to last year because they finally realised that maybe ole Butch Jones aint got what it takes to win the East, forget winning a NC

Now, I fully expect to read all kinds of posts berating my opinion because I didnt get in the Jim Jones Koolaid line. I dont care!!

Now, lets just let it play out on the field and we will really see who got the best side of 50%
People probably don't care what you think as much as you think they do. That's what my mom used to say.

Reactions: 8 people
We have a "no name" team right now.juan Jennings is the closest thing to recognition. If Dormandy comes out looking like a gunslinger, they'll be talking another story.
It's going to take 30+ points to beat GT. If we pull off that win with style, they'll be talking about us winning the East.

People probably don't care what you think as much as you think they do. That's what my mom used to say.

People might not care but he is correct. Most people were all over the media coverage the last two years and no cant stand any hint of negative news as if everyone "hates us." The past two years we were the media darling. Noone "hates" us, its just universally accepted that we are probably not going to be that good and vols fans have a difficult time accepting that.

Thats why fan is short for fanatic.

VN Store

Back