Swain says Butch should not suspend/cite Saban

How should the current discipline situation be handled?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vfl2407

This morning, VFL radio host Swain said rumors continue to swirl that "several important starters and team leaders" could be suspended for opener.
He said Saban never does this and handles all discipline internally.
Swain says Butch should do the same.
Said the Tech game is too important to our season and possibly Butch's career to suspend some of our best players.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
How many times does it have to be stated? Butch has no control over positive drug screens. He may have some input, but it's a school policy. The handbook says it's up to the AD. It's out of his hands.

Reactions: 6 people
I read the rules of the board and see this constant disrespect of players and coaches. If this is how Vol boards work, with unconstructive and personal criticisms from anonymous fools, I don't expect to stay around here long.

There are a handful of mean-spirited trolls, and there are also a handful of special snowflakes. D4H is one of the latter.

You just have to look past that double-handful of extreme cases.

Reactions: 6 people
Currie is going to rewrite a lot of these policies. I don't think he likes the way things have been done here.

Reactions: 1 person
Im hoping Butch can handle this internal if he can. It's a big season for us across the board. He's gotta be pulling his hair out right now..

How many times does it have to be stated? Butch has no control over positive drug screens. He may have some input, but it's a school policy. The handbook says it's up to the AD. It's out of his hands.

If this is true, and there is no discretion for either Butch or the A.D., why would a former player like Swain not know about this policy?

butch is gonna make things as hard as he can on himself so he will prob suspend them. Thats how he rolls. Suspend them for Indiana State and move on. Urban style!

Reactions: 3 people
I know it's early but OMG!

giphy.gif

Reactions: 7 people
It's not Butch's decision. UT has a written policy that applies to all programs. Butch follows the policy. He can choose to punish players above and beyond what policy dictates (unlikely), but he doesn't have the discretion to be more lenient.

Just go down to Tuscaloosa and get Alabama's handbook, in fact, I'll just go get it and bring it up there. Handle everything internally, and when the media asks you about it, just act indignant, cry, and talk about how it's all about the kids. In a few weeks, they'll all forget about it. We will kick GT's butt, and start getting ready for Florida! This is not rocket science Butch!
I have some time on Tuesday if you need me to drop by! Oh, and tell John that several from Volnation will be with me, and we expect him to be in the meeting. We will get this cleared up and move on!!!

Swain ignores that some things can't be handled internally.

Is there a rule that anyone in Knoxville covering UT must take stupid shots at the coach? This is ridiculous

Reactions: 8 people
You know, it's a little hard to make an educated vote not knowing any of the details; and I'm not suggesting that we should know the details. Did Swain give any indication of what he thought the details were? Or is he just of the view that all drug issues should be handled internally, no matter how significant the problem?

Reactions: 3 people
This morning, VFL radio host Swain said rumors continue to swirl that "several important starters and team leaders" could be suspended for opener.
He said Saban never does this and handles all discipline internally.
Swain says Butch should do the same.
Said the Tech game is too important to our season and possibly Butch's career to suspend some of our best players.

Your thoughts?

Saban should be the measuring stick for how to win at football, but most certainly not for how to maintain discipline over your program.

If we lose the first game because key players are out, or because the QBs aren't quite gelling, it is not the end of the world.

But the problem is, I don't trust CBJ to win back the team if that happens.

Everyone will be pissed if we lose. But objectively, I just don't think it will be a key loss at the end of the year, if Butch can rally the troops for week 3.

VN Store

Back