What did you expect

81Orange

A month ago all the pundits said Tennessee would have a tough year replacing departed talent. The VOL fans say we get no respect and talk about winning the east etc.

Before the season starts good we loose several starters for the season. We have growing pains in several key position groups and don't look so good.

Did you expect we would blow out GT or FL?

Did you think UT was immune to a freak last second play. Look around it happens.

Do you think it is unusual to have a let down with UMass sandwiched between Fl and GA. It has happened to the best teams.

We will have a slim margin in every game this year and we will be inconsistent.

Reactions: 9 people
I think the biggest issue everyone has is despite losing Dobbs and others, we SHOULD have won the UF game by at least 14 points. Florida is not a good team this year and we laid an egg and lost to them. We just seem to make critical mistakes game after game and the fan base would like to see this corrected.

If we were out manned and lost to a solid UF team, it would still sting, but not nearly as bad as knowing we should have won it. Then we have a lackluster performance against UMASS and it just doesn't look pretty right now.

Reactions: 3 people
Let me say this because we are in the same boat.

Right now, ESPN has an SEC power rankings listing. Vandy is ranked ahead of Tennessee and Florida.

Now, whether that's accurate or not really doesn't matter. For the thought to even legitimately creep into someone's head as being possibly true after Vandy just lost a game 59-0 is the textbook definition of sad.

No one should ever, at any point in time, do an eyeball test of Vandy, Tennessee, and Florida and think.....Vandy is better than the other two.

That's where we are.

Just ask yourself when the last time it was where Tennessee played 4 quarters of fundamentally sound, solid football.

If you are honest, that will tell you why people are upset regardless of any sort of expectations

Reactions: 25 people
That Florida team should have been beat, they overcome their turmoil. In year 5 why do we not have talent developed at a level where there are serviceable replacements behind the starters. Players are not progressing on this team or in this system. Year 5 and we look like a team under a first year coach after cleaning house.

Spin it how you want but this team has serious problems. Maybe Butch can turn this around but this team looked as bad as a team can look Saturday. They should have lost that game and deserved to.

Reactions: 2 people
We expect to have more than 70 yards of offense in a half against Umass, just for starters.

I expect opponents to really have to BEAT Tennessee to win .. I can live with losses if the team was well-prepared and just got beat by a better team

Reactions: 4 people
I expected a coach not to use "young team" as an excuse in year 5. I expected not to see the same mistakes by the coach in year 5.

A month ago all the pundits said Tennessee would have a tough year replacing departed talent. The VOL fans say we get no respect and talk about winning the east etc.

Before the season starts good we loose several starters for the season. We have growing pains in several key position groups and don't look so good.

Did you think UT was immune to a freak last second play. Look around it happens.

Do you think it is unusual to have a let down with UMass sandwiched between Fl and GA. It has happened to the best teams.

I expect Tennessee to run the ball on 1st and goal when the best player on the team is a running back. I expect the online to habe the ablilty to block people. I expect good fundamental football. If you lose doing that, then fine.

Do you think Jones checks his checking account Monday morning to see if the deposit was made?

How bout a smile.............:thud:

jDlWgBl.jpg

Good teams and good coaches sometimes have off games. Fulmer lost to Memphis in '96. Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe in '07.

When those "off games" seem to happen every week, however, you can no longer call them "off games." You simply have to acknowledge that a team is underperforming on a routine basis.

I expect 4 quarters of fundamentally sound football played with toughness and energy.
I expect the coach to have his team prepared and motivated to play each game.
I expect the coaches with a talented roster ( by recruiting ranking) to be able to coach up the players to be better each year and play competitive football.
I expect the head coach to make logical in game decisions to include clock management, recognizing trends and streaks within the game and use them to his advantage.

What I didn't expect:
To play every game like we don't quite have the team ready and a game plan prepared.
I understand a loss to a better team if we play tough, bring the fight, and just get beat. That's football.

When you lose do to poor coach decision making it is NOT ACCEPTABLE. When you play a bad football team like umass and come in and don't beat them the way bama does a fairly good vandy team, the coach either has no effective game plan or has failed to aptly prepair and motivate his team.

Bottom line this coach/ staff has helped us rebuild and for that I am greatful. He does not have the ability to match wits with higher levels of coaches, and has hit his ceiling.

He deserves his exorbitant buyout as a thank you. Now let's move on to someone who can take us the rest of the way

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Last year it took all that talent to win 8 games and now you're telling me this is a "rebuilding year". Thats a problem

The Vols may as well have come out before the game and dropped a steamy duece. I expected better than that at home against an absolutely atrocious UMASS team.

Fans do this every year. They ignore all that was lost and assume the backups are just as good and just need the chance to show the world their "beast mode". UT was bigger, stronger, and badder than last year. We were destined for 10 wins, the east and a shot at Bama. Now reality sets in and the thud back to earth hurts. It will happen next year, too. Dormady will be older, team will be stronger, Kelly will be the heisman favorite, etc. Just the nature of fans. Go back and check the preseason posts. A few rational minds were among them, but those were deemed negas. Just the way it is.

The Vols may as well have come out before the game and dropped a steamy duece. I expected better than that at home against an absolutely atrocious UMASS team.

Im curious how you formed that expectation? I understand that they could come out and play with more heart and enthusiasm, but playing sound fundamental football for any length of time is something this team hasnt done in 4 years.

I had to like this for....dropped a steamy deuce.
Very apt.
Very descriptive.
Very stanky........much like our offense lately. :thud:

I think the biggest issue everyone has is despite losing Dobbs and others, we SHOULD have won the UF game by at least 14 points. Florida is not a good team this year and we laid an egg and lost to them. We just seem to make critical mistakes game after game and the fan base would like to see this corrected.

If we were out manned and lost to a solid UF team, it would still sting, but not nearly as bad as knowing we should have won it. Then we have a lackluster performance against UMASS and it just doesn't look pretty right now.

Uh..bingo. A lackluster performance by a UT team with this much talent against UMASS is 31-6, not 17-13. There are FCS teams higher rated than the minutemen. As for Florida, I was even prepared to discount that game to having to go to the swamp for first time QB starter QD. Yes there were the 3 INT's and the dropped TD pass which hurt, but still in the end (kinda like A&M last year) we are in position to win and can't close it out. I just don't think Coach Jones makes smart decisions in key moments of games. The personal foul last week on the HC last Saturday just can't happen.

Fans do this every year. They ignore all that was lost and assume the backups are just as good and just need the chance to show the world their "beast mode". UT was bigger, stronger, and badder than last year. We were destined for 10 wins, the east and a shot at Bama. Now reality sets in and the thud back to earth hurts. It will happen next year, too. Dormady will be older, team will be stronger, Kelly will be the heisman favorite, etc. Just the nature of fans. Go back and check the preseason posts. A few rational minds were among them, but those were deemed negas. Just the way it is.

Coaches also have the players unprepared every year. No excuse for losing to Florida. Then letting a can like UMass come into your house and hold their own. I've said all along that 7 wins is about the ceiling. But how many years do we watch coaching mistakes burn us? We should have won the East the past two seasons.

UMass came to play, the Vols, not so much
Vols were taken to the woodshed most of the game, ouch

I came into this season knowing that we were replacing a lot of key players. I knew that, but so did Clemson. Clemson lost Watson, Gallman, Williams, Tankersley, Watkins, Leggett, Boulware, and there are still more. It's like they haven't missed a beat. That's having your bench and back-ups prepared. That is what we are missing.

Let me say this because we are in the same boat.

Right now, ESPN has an SEC power rankings listing. Vandy is ranked ahead of Tennessee and Florida.

Now, whether that's accurate or not really doesn't matter. For the thought to even legitimately creep into someone's head as being possibly true after Vandy just lost a game 59-0 is the textbook definition of sad.

No one should ever, at any point in time, do an eyeball test of Vandy, Tennessee, and Florida and think.....Vandy is better than the other two.

That's where we are.

Just ask yourself when the last time it was where Tennessee played 4 quarters of fundamentally sound, solid football.
If you are honest, that will tell you why people are upset regardless of any sort of expectations

Excellent point.

Our toughest tasks weren't thought to be gt or Florida...especially after Florida lost 13 players for the game. It's not that we lost its how. We ran a clinic on how to lose a game being handed to us against Florida, passing from the one foot line and not using the clock on our last possession. And against gt we literally lined up way off the ball and just allowed them to take it to us.

Good teams and good coaches sometimes have off games. Fulmer lost to Memphis in '96. Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe in '07.

When those "off games" seem to happen every week, however, you can no longer call them "off games." You simply have to acknowledge that a team is underperforming on a routine basis.

I so remember the Memphis loss.....a certain QB was playing that day.....hmmmmm...what was his name? Its on the tip of my tongue.....ohhh what was his name? Wait I've got it.....PEYTON MANNING! My point is that even a HOF QB like Manning is going to lose a game he shouldn't every now and then.

GO VOLS....BEAT THE DOGSHEET OUT OF UGA!!!

I so remember the Memphis loss.....a certain QB was playing that day.....hmmmmm...what was his name? Its on the tip of my tongue.....ohhh what was his name? Wait I've got it.....PEYTON MANNING! My point is that even a HOF QB like Manning is going to lose a game he shouldn't every now and then.

GO VOLS....BEAT THE DOGSHEET OUT OF UGA!!!

That's the issue. It's not every now and then...it's every year.

VN Store

Back