Out of shape and uncoached

KKruzVFL

This year's team was out of shape that's why we had so many injuries. The Oline and Dline were pushed around all year. All it will take is for us to get a good coach that knows something about conditioning and scheme to get us back to 9 10 wins. The talent is there.

Reactions: 13 people
I re watched the LSU game last night. AS i watched i was thinking that a year without a strength and conditioning coach is having a long term effect on this team . These players just not have developed physically

Reactions: 7 people
I am just so confused how we went backwards so fast. I know we keep hearing that the team is in better shape then what Dooley left it, but I am struggling to believe this.

Reactions: 15 people
I am just so confused how we went backwards so fast. I know we keep hearing that the team is in better shape then what Dooley left it, but I am struggling to believe this.

Jones philosophy on development was that it should take 3 or 4 years to "build" a player and especially an lineman. Ultimately, that doesn't work in the SEC when so many of the players you want desire to play early... and CAN PLAY EARLY if developed right.

But Jones brought his career long S&C coach with him and developed players like he would at Cincy or CMU.

Gullickson may still be the solution if kept. But Jones' philosophy is what screwed these guys. I'm surprised that the epidemic of injuries didn't hurt recruiting more.

Reactions: 7 people

Mostly because it isn't true. Dooley was lazy in recruiting. He didn't bring the players in. But he didn't have nearly as many injuries and the good players he did have... played well and for the most part stayed healthy. Dooley as a coach and Jones as a recruiter... would probably make a reasonably good HC.

Reactions: 3 people
Mostly because it isn't true. Dooley was lazy in recruiting. He didn't bring the players in. But he didn't have nearly as many injuries and the good players he did have... played well and for the most part stayed healthy. Dooley as a coach and Jones as a recruiter... would probably make a reasonably good HC.

Dooley's three years here produced more NFL players than Fulmer's last three years here

Reactions: 4 people
I know people have attempted to hire Saban's assistance to find similar success. Perhaps we should be looking at hiring his Strength Coach's top assistant.

Saban's strength coach Scott Cochran is paid pretty well and when his players hit the field they look like men vs. boys.

Reactions: 3 people
I am beginning to wonder if it is the particular style of Nike's that we are wearing. I would be curious as what other teams where these. It seems like most of our injuries are lower body related.

I know people have attempted to hire Saban's assistance to find similar success. Perhaps we should be looking at hiring his Strength Coach's top assistant.

Saban's strength coach Scott Cochran is paid pretty well and when his players hit the field they look like men vs. boys.

I think as much as we need to address a new head coach i also think that our problem could very well be a S and C problem. What i see from Bama is a bigger stronger and faster team . Thats not all because of the star ratings . Bama is doing some some things very well in the offseason and that is with S and C training and leadership.

It sure as hell showed. I've never in my life seen starter after starter go down the way they did the past two seasons. I talked some vols football with my pops and told him I would have really liked to have seen a healthy butch jones coached football team.

I agree, as long as he will bring the latest greatest DEER ANTLER PROTEIN SPRAY with him....

Reactions: 1 person
Injuries happen.

It isn't necessarily tied to lack of strength and conditioning.
Take Kirkland and Jennings for instance no matter what level of S&C they did both injuries still would have happened.

I see the problem as Butch wanted smaller quicker lineman. It obviously don't work in the SEC as we get pushed back. We need big smash mouth o linemen to get back to Tennessee football. Trey Smith is one and Mays will be another.

Reactions: 2 people
Injuries happen.

It isn't necessarily tied to lack of strength and conditioning.
Take Kirkland and Jennings for instance no matter what level of S&C they did both injuries still would have happened.

I see the problem as Butch wanted smaller quicker lineman. It obviously don't work in the SEC as we get pushed back. We need big smash mouth o linemen to get back to Tennessee football. Trey Smith is one and Mays will be another.

OLINE next year should read: LT - Trey Smith, Lt Guard - Cade Mays, Center ?? RG - Chance Hall, RT - Drew Richmond (his natural position)

This year's team was out of shape that's why we had so many injuries. The Oline and Dline were pushed around all year. All it will take is for us to get a good coach that knows something about conditioning and scheme to get us back to 9 10 wins. The talent is there.

Weve had 15 S&C coaches the last 5 or 6 years...I guess they have all sucked.

The title made me think this thread was about me.

I decided earlier this year that we are soft because we do not play the game of football during practices...no sustained, smashmouth, tackle-to-the-ground football. Only drill after drill after drill, sprinkled with may a 1- or 2-min drill but with "thud" hits only. This does not make a tough SEC football team.

Jones ran off Dave Lawson then spent a season before deciding to hire a buddy who was in his wedding instead of getting a viable S&C coach who had recent experience working with college players.

This team just didn't pass the eye test in comparison to other teams the last two seasons as far as being in shape.

Just look at the Fulmer teams in 96-2001. You'll see big, strong, mean fast players.

In my opinion an O - lineman takes time to turn into a man. Trey Smith is an exception, just as Cosey Coleman was
Most of these guys out of high school are just the biggest kid on the team. Big, fat and soft. It takes a couple of years to build a man out of them.

When you get to the point where all of our OL are juniors or redshirt soph's when they play in their first games year in and year out. That's when you'll see a dominate offense.

The next coach better have some real wrinkle offense to hide this deficiency on our team

Jones philosophy on development was that it should take 3 or 4 years to "build" a player and especially an lineman. Ultimately, that doesn't work in the SEC when so many of the players you want desire to play early... and CAN PLAY EARLY if developed right.

But Jones brought his career long S&C coach with him and developed players like he would at Cincy or CMU.

Gullickson may still be the solution if kept. But Jones' philosophy is what screwed these guys. I'm surprised that the epidemic of injuries didn't hurt recruiting more.

Lawson got good results. The injuries and issues didn't start until he was let go.

Dooley's last team would beat Butch's last team

It would have, no question cause Dooleys team could score and this bunch cant score against air. that said, it would have been Dooley's first win vs Jones cause the first 4 yrs, Jones teams would have killed the other Dooley teams.

It sure as hell showed. I've never in my life seen starter after starter go down the way they did the past two seasons. I talked some vols football with my pops and told him I would have really liked to have seen a healthy butch jones coached football team.

You saw one against GT and they ran over us.

VN Store

Back