Jones Upgraded

Vol67

Talent but forgot discipline and his stubborn attitude with Offense killed his program

Reactions: 1 person
Talent but forgot discipline and his stubborn attitude with Offense killed his program

you call it stubborn...I say coaching ignorance...and, of course an ego big as Neyland...this is my last reply to anything about Butch Jones...he's gone and I'm done...just a bad memory...:)

GO VOLS...BEAT VANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still waiting to see that talent show up...we all know Butch was a great recruiter on paper, but that's largely attributed to his '14 and '15 classes which were practically gift wrapped for him (legacy recruits propped up the classes and he had playing time to offer as his main selling point) and lucking out with Dobbs/Sutton in 13. Beyond that, lots of projects...too many projects...never really upgraded at LB or OL (trey smith and drew richmond not withstanding), despite many, many chances to do so over the years. will be interesting to see if that opinion of Butchs recruiting prowess will change over time...I think it will when our lines and the LB get exposed once again.

Reactions: 2 people
He's a much better coach than a husband.

I dont know man... he's an all around douche. Theres a reason he was left on the tarmac by USC...then he had the nerve to leave us in JANUARY...over a week into Jan no less. The guy is a prick who rubs people the wrong way... players might like his drama, but ADs aren't ignorant to the ****-show that Kiffin brings with him. baggage galore...

Reactions: 6 people

He marginally upgraded the talent imo. There aren’t more than 7-8 players on the roster, who we’ve seen play at this point, who have the talent and attitude to win at a high, championship level in the SEC.

And his inability to develop and get his most talented players on the field is what ultimately doomed him here.

OK, but what part of this is something 90% of us did not already know? Or are you fishing for additional reasons you hadn't noticed?

Some of us started noticing that in year one when he wouldn't modify his O... and then overestimated Vandy.

I knew this season our offense was going to be suspect but I was hoping our defense would give us a shot until our offense came around. Defense was just slightly better than our offense which was historically bad...

I didn't see much difference in the play calling vs LSU than the rest of the season...I think it's just Larry Scott is a sorry OC and horrible play caller!
Butch's son was on the team but was a manager this year. Doubt he's still doing that...

still waiting to see that talent show up...we all know Butch was a great recruiter on paper, but that's largely attributed to his '14 and '15 classes which were practically gift wrapped for him (legacy recruits propped up the classes and he had playing time to offer as his main selling point) and lucking out with Dobbs/Sutton in 13. Beyond that, lots of projects...too many projects...never really upgraded at LB or OL (trey smith and drew richmond not withstanding), despite many, many chances to do so over the years. will be interesting to see if that opinion of Butchs recruiting prowess will change over time...I think it will when our lines and the LB get exposed once again.

Exactly, and that point is spot on, but not worth arguing with people who continue to spout the used car salesmans pitches verbatim. Some still don't get it, as if this season has not given us sufficient evidence of the disparity between perceived talent and actual.

We hate Dooley and blame him for leaving a gutted roster partially because of Butch's campaigning to convince us exactly how hard his job was going to be taking over from Dooley, and his constant attempts to lower expectation while shifting blame.

How long can that sales pitch last, while the clunker is in the ditch. When will perception meet reality?

Does the next coach pull a Butch and belabor his impossible position? Or does he suck it up, and act like a man, making the best of the hand he has been dealt.

The funny thing to me is Lyle whined and carried on about the rebuilding job (which was actually an easier year one than Dooley's, imo) but the only reason his loser ass got the wonderful job of head coach at Tennessee in the first place was precisely BECAUSE the dire situation on the hill made it a less attractive destination for the better and more qualified coaching candidates.

VN Store

Back