Next coach isn't coaching

KKruzVFL

Currie said that he would have a coach in place before signing day. Told recruits that. It can't be a coach already coaching because we can't talk to them. I'm thinking it's gonna be a big time coach!

Reactions: 2 people
Currie said that he would have a coach in place before signing day. Told recruits that. It can't be a coach already coaching because we can't talk to them. I'm thinking it's gonna be a big time coach!

Your logic ain't working.
You can talk to coaches, and they likely interviewed a couple already.

Reactions: 10 people
Can somebody clear this up for me too. I've seen people saying you cannot formally interview a coach until the regular season is over. Now I know you can deal through agents and back channels, but are you able to actually interview a coach who is still currently coaching? I know you can after regular season and that many coaches have left their team prior to bowl game. I would think we would not hire a guy until we formally interviewed him. That would narrow it down if the case.

Can't interview coaches currently coaching yet. Perhaps you can network through an agent....

Tennessee will hire a coach whonis currently coaching and it may not happen until 2nd week of december. That is still before early signing. But who cares?

Tennessee needs to hire the right coach, not worry about early signing.

HIRE A GREAT COACH. THAT IS ALL.....

Reactions: 8 people
Can somebody clear this up for me too. I've seen people saying you cannot formally interview a coach until the regular season is over. Now I know you can deal through agents and back channels, but are you able to actually interview a coach who is still currently coaching? I know you can after regular season and that many coaches have left their team prior to bowl game. I would think we would not hire a guy until we formally interviewed him. That would narrow it down if the case.

We know this is false based on the Kiffin situations both in Knoxville and Bama. Before both seasons had ended, he had accepted another job.

Reactions: 4 people
That’s why i think there’s a strong chance it could be someone like Les Miles.

Here’s my reasoning, Currie doesn’t go to Atlantis Basketball tourney if he hasn’t already got his guy or atleast has a gentleman’s agreement. He especially does this if his guy is not a current coach. I also think it could be Les because he hasn’t been doing game commentating for Fox in the last few weeks. That’s very odd.

I’d be down with Les with the right OC. Only way he gets another big job is if he overhauls his offensive philosophy.

Regardless, Currie has to be Uber overconfident that he has his guy if he has the balls to go to basketball tourney.

My obvious choice has been Mullen and hopefully news breaks on Friday or Saturday that we got him.

My biggest fear is that if news doesn’t break this weekend, we are still playing second fiddle to coaches.

But I’m willing to give Currie the benefit of the doubt. I’m hoping he truly stuns the fan base with a whopper of a Hire. We will literally know within the next 96 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
if its someone not coaching the sooner announced the better the longer it drags out the more it seems it is a coach that is currently coaching

No rule in the NCAA against it, you can interview if they want to. A lot of people get this confused with the NFL, which as a league requires you to get permission from the other teams.

Not true.

Signing day isn’t until Dec 20-22, football regular season ends Saturday..... for some teams like, say, Mississippi State, it ends tomorrow night. ADs can speak with coaches after the regular season, so, if Currie wanted to hire Mullen for example, he could talk with/interview him as soon as Friday, begin and finish negotiations over the weekend and introduce him as our new head coach on Monday.

If I am correct, didn't Currie talk to Adrian Martinez and tell him it would be announced in a few weeks, which was a few weeks ago?

Not true.

Signing day isn’t until Dec 20-22, football regular season ends Saturday..... for some teams like, say, Mississippi State, it ends tomorrow night. ADs can speak with coaches after the regular season, so, if Currie wanted to hire Mullen for example, he could talk with/interview him as soon as Friday, begin and finish negotiations over the weekend and introduce him as our new head coach on Monday.

Can speak to any coach at anytime. Not a violation. Just a unspoken gentleman agreement. Heard that for last 2 weeks from hymms on radio ?

Genius.

It has been traditional, a gentlemen's agreement of sorts, for universities not to reach out to other universities' coaches during the regular season without the approval of the second school's Athletic Director.

That's it, just a friendly protocol. No NCAA or other rules behind it, just an unwritten and informal agreement.

And as SaintLouisVol points out in post #7, that informal agreement is becoming less and less frequently honored. We're moving into a new era.

So sure, Currie can have had conversations with several sitting coaches by now. Either directly, or through those coaches' agents.

But in reality, he hasn't. He never needed to. He got Jon Gruden signed on within 72 hours of firing Butch Jones, and hasn't had to do much other than work on the details since.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 4 people
they talk thru the back channels,so if a coach is asked about it, they can say no,we haven't talked

of course that is just my opinion

It has been traditional, a gentlemen's agreement of sorts, for universities not to reach out to other universities' coaches during the regular season without the approval of the second school's Athletic Director.

That's it, just a friendly protocol. No NCAA or other rules behind it, just an unwritten and informal agreement.

And as SaintLouisVol points out in post #7, that informal agreement is becoming less and less frequently honored. We're moving into a new era.

So sure, Currie can have had conversations with several sitting coaches by now. Either directly, or through those coaches' agents.

But in reality, he hasn't. He never needed to. He got Jon Gruden signed on within 72 hours of firing Butch Jones, and hasn't had to do much other than work on the details since.

Go Vols!

100% agreed on the cant talk to coaches till season is over. Not in today's world. No violation whatsoever. Gruden was singing rocky top on Seattle radio. Who knows

VN Store

Back